Off road truck plows into crowd...

badsonic

First prayers and thoughts to the families of the lossed ones. Second what pisses me off is that some fans tried to stone the poor driver. Sad deal but there is no gurantee in racing when fans are standing few feet of the track where these guys are zooming by.....a tragedy is bound to happen and it did!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38710643/

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/15/californi...dex.html?hpt=C1

agree. this is a "run with the bulls in pamplona" kind of thing. spectators drove long distances to get there with the exact agenda of being super close to the action. there was no "surprise" danger.

if you walked down there before the races and told the crowd that they had to back away from the course, get behind a wall or fence or sit in the stands off the racing line...THEY WOULD THROW THE ROCKS AT YOU.

God bless the dead and comfort the families for their loss......

JMO

jay

Tragic? ................. Certainly!

Insanity? .............. Most Definitely!

It just seems unimaginably idiotic to have that many people in such close proximity to racing vehicles with no protection barriers whatsoever. It seems to me such an incident was inevitable. How sad it is when such was so obviously avoidable.

It was so avoidable. All they had to do was install the 400 miles of crash barrier, catch fench and have lets see 200 miles of 1 security guard per side at 1/4 mile spacing by 15 dollars an hour. they could have raised the entrance fees to cover this.

open course desert racing is far different than stadium events. the promoter is not concentrating people in a small area like at a local track - there ARE area in which the promoters have control and responsibilty - but this is public use land!

the racing came first - I remember going to some of these races years ago when there were about 100 people each at the start, two check points and end of the race with nothing but 200 miles of empty desert between. temp fencing and cones marked the boundaries of these areas. this is blm land - they cant "forbid" you from going beyond the barriers - or they would have to close the whole area (hundreds of miles), and this area was used because well mainly there was no one out there to accidentally run over and ruin your day as well as theirs. The numbers of spectators have grown in the years - and get just what they came for. And there is no gate fee for down course spectators (only pit, team and staging area entrances) - the spectators are part of the course at this point as far as I am concerned - just like Eu Rally.! Notice how many fists were full o' brew? Thats a big chunk of the issue right there. Some of those alchohol fuelers are stupid enough to lay in a pothole just to see the trucks come flying over. Its darwinism at its finest.

I am even more highly distressed as this is one of the few southern cal off highway recreational areas remaining (and the absolute best open course capable). I and a ton of other people I know and grew up with highly value the recreational and family thing that this (as well as the many now closed) OHR area offers. the tree huggers will now be joined by the bubble wrappers and somehow we will be a step closer to the entire elimination of off highway driving that seems so imminant in california.

ten feet away //truck flying over jumps at high speed .and you get killed ...who.s to blame ....maybe i sound heartless here ..... mother nature plays a big part here ..or human nature which ever you prefer ... comes down to adrenalin junkies ,, alot of us have that problem.. we want to be as near to the action as posible ..look at drag racen ...the light man stands between two rockets ..they can exsplode anytime at that line ..and kill that person ..who would be the blame there ....pitcher gets killed by ball in face ..who.s to blame there ... its sad when poeple are killed ....but sometimes you put yourself in that position ...and the outcome is this ......god bless those poeple .and the driver ...he will live in pain for the rest of his life ..tomorrow somewhere there will be another race ,another sporting activity going on that could get someone killed .there is no way to stop that from happening ..unless all sports are outlawed ....and we know that wont happen ..besides .adrenalin junkies will find something else to do to fill thier need ......you cannot protect poeple from themselfs ...

its sad that it happened but probably the biggest issue is yet to come when the families of those who lost there life sue the sanctioning body for there family members stupidity and win due to some bogus loophole in the legal system and in the end hurting desert racing or killing it alltogether.

idiots! sorry....rest in peace. but idiots.

..and for those that threw stuff at the driver, i hope they are prosecuted.

jmo

Notice how many fists were full o' brew? Thats a big chunk of the issue right there. Some of those alchohol fuelers are stupid enough to lay in a pothole just to see the trucks come flying over.

Yup the more beer seemed like the braver people get, like Hi Tech said mother nature of auto racing took it's course on this racing accident . And people that were throwing stuff at the driver don't belong at any kind of racing facility.

Copied from the drivers Facebook page:

"Soo incredibly lost and devistated my thoughts and prayers go out to all the familys and friends involved.. Thank you too all my friends for sticking with me even thru these tragic times I love you all"

Drivers Facebook Page

Thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the deceased and the injured. Their lives will forever be changed because of this tragic accident. Thoughts and prayers to the young driver who will carry the memory of this day for the rest of his life.

Under California Civil Statutes the organizer is liable - even for damages beyond his immediate control - if it can be proven that that the event itself is the direct cause of the damage... easy enough - without the event its highly unlikely the injured and killed people would have been there. I am sure this goes beyond their limits and will ruin them financially.

And yes Bud, common sense goes a long way - unfortunately common sense just ain't that common anymore! Had anyone chased those folks back from the track side spots that they probably grabbed three days before the start just to have em - they would have simply moved further down to the NEXT high action place that they could get right next to the track at!!!

This behavior is what closed Buttercup (parts of the open dunes area are still legal - but the areas with easy access - adjacent to interstate 8 and the rest area facilities - are closed) - with Glamis up next (there are currently three suits in court - any one of em has the potential ramification of closing Glamis). I think this will add Soggy Bottom to that list.

Under Cal law (and just about anywhere else) the admission ticket is a contract. If these spectators were the "free" ones (they still have to pay BLM user fees to enter the area - but that is not a "contract") - they signed nothing to demonstrate they were made aware of the dangers. This is also the basis for 2 of the Glamis suits - the injured spectators were never made aware that the pit area was a dangerous place - they made it in past the security and got injured. THis is different from open desert racing in that Glamis is where they run sand drags and a hill climb - its easier to cordone off an area and prevent people from being there without such adequate warning.

Agreed J.W.

It is easy to foresee the BLM declining permit applications for future such events. They required the promoter to post a $ 2 million insurance policy. That wont even come close.

The event winners have not been posted. Sadly, I suspect they will come from among this ----

-----> GROUP :(

Its sad that we live in such a complicated world.

its sad when poeple get killed and others are held resposible by thier stupid action in standing to close ..didnt your sister crash at the mile and break a bone .or was it someone else .if it was her ..did she or your parents blame the promotors of that mile run ...your sister knows the dangers of running 230 on a bike .......

Archived