personal safety

jwmbishop

On the topic of safety I would like to remind how we all should slow down and pay attention. I almost became a statistic the weekend.

I was at the drivethru getting lunch and could not hear over my kids loud exhaust so killed the engine, forgetting that I had noticed the nuetral safty switch "sweet spot" was almost non existant. When I tried to fire it back (while blocking their drive) I could not find it - so hopped out to fire it with the underhood sw (jumping it past the safety). It was between N and D - as soon as it fired (with the added pop I gave the throttle) it lurched knocking me backwards, and took off for the highway. I jumped up and dove thru the window shoving the floor shifter into park at the same time as pushing the brake with my other hand. Got it whoa'ed up about 14 feet from shooting into very heavy traffic.

So as a reminder - even when (and especially when) rushed, flustered and interrupted we HAVE to take time to think and respond rather react. My mental checklist mentality really broke down on this one!

I can laugh about it (and at myself) now - but this was the scariest situation I have been in for a long time. And lord knows I am getting too old for that much adrenalin at once!

glad your ok. Now I can say that would of been a great You Tube video to watch. :lol: "Man chased by own truck".

Just havin some fun with ya. Glad your ok, now get out there and fix that switch.

:o Reminds me of the time (long time ago) I was trying to start our 1976 Lincoln Mark IV pouring gas down that 4 barrel 460 I told wife try to start it it shot a flame out reached the top of hood melted paint and burned eyebrows and hair. I was lucky. How stupid!! I learned a lesson. I was young. No fire protection. :unsure:

leaning over my old olds 425 v8 tuning the carb ..i didnt lock my radiator cap on good enough ..well playing around too long with it .. the cap blew off and hit me right in the chest ..along with steaming hot water ofcourse ..... found a new way to get rid of freckles ...if it wasnt so painfull steam cleaning myself ..i would have done the rest of my body parts that had freckles ........... another time trying to be super man .i tried to hold my c6 trans up to the motor laying it on my chest ...man that thing got heavy really quick ...and got stuck under the truck ..with my last breath getting close after aboult ten minutes ..my next door buddy just happend along and saved me ......... but the dumbest thing i did behind the wheel .was miss the brake pedal and nailed a police car at a circle k ..just as the officer was walking out ..14 years old .and lucky enough that officer was one of my familys best friends ...

Archived