How old is old enough

BobRiley

At what age do we allow a young person to drive in our series? Let's say they have a higher than average experiance behind the wheel, go-karts, quarter midgets, banderlos, etc. Let's go one step futher and say they rented a track and envited you to watch and/or drive with the kid to see for yourself if he, or she, could handle the situation. At what age is too young? A kid in a touring series can do all the legal paperwork and race at SAS, THR, or CCS at 12, so this is not a legal question but rather a moral call. If a 12 year old qualifies to race in your series, would you, as a driver, let them race? Wasn't Casey Smith 12 or 13 when he won the Legands National Championship?

I really hope you're not trying to say something about kyle sirrizotti that ran the legacy series in sa on sat. night. because if anybody says that kid cant drive then they're crazy. and i think he showed everyone that he has the talent and ability to run with the adults, considering he finished 5th. i have watched him run quarter midgets for years and he has as much talent as casey smith did when he was running quarter midgets. even with him being 13 i wouldnt be worried about him running in the series considering he probably has raced longer than a lot of people in that series.

I'VE RACED AGAINST KIDS 13-14YRS. OLD MANY TIMES....A MAJORITY OF MY EXPERIENCE WITH THEM WAS NOT GOOD....BUT ON THE OTHER HAND YOU LOOK AT MY BROTHER (13)CASEY SMITH(?)J.C.UMSHIED(14)CHARLIE TURNER(A CHICK-15)MARK CHRUDIMSKY(14)THESE ARE DRIVERS YOU COULD ACTUALLY LEARN FROM...EITHER THEY GOT IT OR THEY DON'T, AND IT DOSEN'T TAKE LONG TO FIGURE WHICH ONES DO....

Bob,

I think there are just a few people who have expressed a certain amount of reluctance to see him race and/or race against him. This thread is most likely in reference to a young phenom named Kyle Scirizotti, a 13 year old racing in the Allison Legacy Series.

As one who has practiced and raced against him, I for one have no problem being on the track with him. He has spun out in front of me, I have spun out in front of him, and in neither case was there any contact. I have raced side by side with him, door handle to door handle, at SAS, our fastest track, and was not concerned by his age, or the decision making ability of him or any of the adults spotting for him and coaching him. I have watched him make hundreds of practice and race laps in his car and have been quite impressed with his abilities.

As I also understand it, a NASCAR Late Model Track Champion at SAS wrote a letter of recommendation for this youngster. That driver certainly has the respect of his racing peers and his judgement is sought in many areas of racing.

The bottom line is this. ONCE IN AWHILE, a real young talent like this comes along. Not everyone has that kind of car control and talent, but THIS ONE DOES, and he may have a big league future. The attention he attracts could be priceless. That will be good for the series, good for the tracks, and good for the other drivers. I for one welcome him and his parents, and their sponsors and fans.

I have no idea of the folks involved here but the thread asked for opinions.

Over the years, I've noticed a relationship between real young kids and the dollar value of my repair bills. In a more perfect world, they would be quicker to learn the lessons that are learned the hard way if they were the primary funders and fabricators of their own race cars. Too often (since most tend to have some money behind them and a Dad with some stars in his eyes) they get the impression that bending the car is just a minor inconvience. It is kind of a vicious circle--->AGGRESSIVENESS costs them nothing--->they are praised and rewarded for AGGRESSIVENESS--->AGGRESSIVENESS costs them nothing...

Just my experience

Jay

This Sunday morning, a radio talk show in Corpus Christi, aired a 3 hour broadcast about this subject. As I understand, listeners wanted to have the parents turned in to Child Protective Services, for abuse. Incoming phone calls were against the parents for allowing/promoting this 13 year old from driving a race car at SAS. That's what started the first post. I've been on medicine for a while and didn't know if my line of thought was normal, then my wife reminded me that I've been off the medicine for two weeks, so now I'm reallyscrewed up. Is it normal for parents to drag their son all across the US, winning a national championship in QuarterMidgets, then forcing him to race at SAS? Is this abuse? If it is, I wish my parents would have abused me. I just hope Lloyd#5, Imracer, and crazyhorse are normal since I agree with them.

Im all for starting early, when I was a young lad, I couldn't... its all a question of money.

People can afford to let their kids get started early so they do it. Unfotunatly, just like in the "big time" racing. the $$$$ is what counts, if I could get my kid started young with a big pocket book , I would that seems to be the factor in all of the above mentioned scenerios.

So , I think the quesion really is... How much is tooooo much ??

I wonder how many callers to the radio show were also asking that parents who let their children play Little League baseball, or Pop Warner football, or soccer, or do gymnastics, should be turned into Child Protective Services for "abuse?"

All of those sports are dangerous. In terms of deaths, Little League in particular has been the subject of news features discussing the possibility of death and injury.

It's only when someone mentions auto racing, or motorcycle racing, or any other sport that isn't "mainstream" according to the news media, that the whole question of younger kids participating even arises.

Just as in any sport, getting an early start is an advantage. And, while most kids will never advance beyond the amateur level, some will. In racing that means driving sprint cars or late models or whatever against adults at an early age.

But just as there aren't many Freddy Adus in soccer, there aren't all that many Jeff Gordons in racing. Adu may be ready to play against adults; Gordon and some of the drivers who have come along behind him were obviously ready to "play against adults." It's only an issue now because the opportunity for kids to race at five or six years old is a fairly recent development.

Just as with Freddy Adu and Jeff Gordon, each call has to be made on a case-by-case basis. Crazyhorse had a good point: some of them are good, and some of the girls are good (Tracy Tschoerner drove a heady race to win last night at Thunder Hill), but just because a kid wants to race a late model doesn't mean he or she should.

Casey Smith is one I would have let race as early as he did, Colt James and Bradley Riethmeyer are also in that category. It isn't a matter of skill and talent, it's a matter of relative maturity. (There are a few other young drivers I would tend to hold back due to demonstrated lack of maturity, despite their obvious talent and skill.)

Another thread on this forum brought up that point. I remember talking to Gordon Johncock once about A. J. Foyt. Johncock is not much of a Foyt fan, but he told me one thing you had to respect about A. J. is that he might be mad enough to part your hair with a wrench, but you could go out on the track and run wheel-to-wheel with him, and he'd never make a move to take you out just because he was mad at you. He was a professional.

I'm not against kids racing. We all know racing is a pretty safe sport, but people who aren't involved don't know that. Some may think parents are making their kids race (some parents, evidently, make their kids play baseball or football). I have a flash for them. No one ever made Casey or Colt or Bradley or Charlie Jansky or Tracy Tscoerner get in a race car. The trick is holding them back until they are ready for the next step.

If they are good, if they are mature, let them race, or play football, or play basketball or baseball or soccer or do gymnastics or whatever.

(The bravest athletes I've ever seen are little girl gymnasts.)

I have been a part of the Allison Race Series for 6 yrs.jrracer I think you are way off base on this $$$$$$$$$$$ and aggressivenes thing with this YOUNG MAN. He came to our first race of the session in Houston and did a great job,watched him in SAS last night he was top notch.I think he likes what he is doing and if and when he gets tired of it his parent will say OK.Talking with his parents, this is about him not them and they are not going to be happy to just throw money at a out of control racer. As far as the radio listeners go they need to go see what family commitment and and fun goes on in a racing family. In my opinion the issue is not about Kyle it's about a couple people not racing due to the fact that there is always something or someone that they don't like. I have heard nothing fom anyone else negative about him.He is welcome to race in our series in Houston anytime.By the way the people that don't want to race with Kyle won't race with us in Houston.

Lloyd

I followed Kyle for six laps in the heat race, he never missed his mark. I wish I could say the same for myself. I would not have any problem what so ever- following him into any turn. I welcome him into the series....

What do you gotta say about that Bob...ARE YOU SCARED!

The Dude, I don't think you followed this thread all the way. "Bob" is the director of the series and has encouraged and given his approval for Kyle to race. "Legacy" is one of the directors of the Houston series and has also given his approval for Kyle to race. Bob started this thread just to ask for other opinions from Speedzone members and see what people in general were thinking about what is being made into a way too controversial subject. Based upon the fact that he recruited Kyle into trying out one of the cars and then lobbied SAS and NASCAR into letting him drive at SAS, I would say that certainly constituted his approval.

Hey Dude what are you tryin to say. I dont see anywhere in Bob's post where he says he is scared. I agree if the kid has the talent and and can handle the race car at speed and is not crazy let him race. I've seen the kid race and he can race. I think The Dude is just jealous that maybe this kid can race better than him.

Bob Riley Scared !!!!! I THINK NOT!!!!!!! Bob Riley is a awesome man. As my transmission builder and good friend I can say that Bob Riley is a very STRONG, MOTIVATED man. I am happy to see him directing the Legacys, and can say that the Legacy drivers should be very proud to have a man like Bob running the show.

hey guys, the dude sent me a pm-->in reply to one I sent him.....He thought Bobs first post was down on Kyle....He made his post -----then realized Bob was not....He is behind Kyle....Just wanted to let ya'll know before everyone got out of hand concerning the dude.

TomH

If they are ready and mature enough, let them race. More than likely they have grown up around racing and have watched many laps. I always said that I felt safe with my kids in a race car. It also prepares them for when they start driving, they will be more aware of everyone around them.

Also you know were they are and what they are thinking about.

Well,since in my opinion by the response of the drivers and others this subject has a clear message that Kyle is old enough,however Gary Poole did turn 55 at the track Saturday and could only finished 2nd, maybe he is TO OLD in these peoples eyes!

I know hes not a Legacy Driver, But Another Youngster is Steven Whitaker Jr. (16) Racing Side by Side with his Father Last Week in the Modifieds at CCMS...finishing second if im not mistaken.... This is his 3rd year racing 1st in modfieds, 2 yrs in HobbyStocks. and Full Time High School Student...

Great Job to all the younger Drivers...

If I could Afford it I would race with ya guys...

Tom Creacy

CCMS Announcer

TCreacy@stx.rr.com

To answer the opinion poll - this is obviously decided on an individual basis based on experience and maturity.

In response to the DJ that chose to force his opinions on the general public that is obviously biased and unfounded. Instead of airing a bias program he should of been man enough to invite Kyle and his parents to participate in the program to allow the listeners to make an informed opinion.

He obviously does not know Kyle or his parents.

Kyle has been racing for 6+ years and won a national championship in the Quartermidgets last year.

I have known this family for 8 years and I know for a fact that Kyle's parents would not jeapordize the safety of their son or any other racer for that matter.

I have had the pleasure of not only practicing with Kyle on the track but also interacting with him off the track and this kid is quite capable of holding his own on and off the racetrack. He is very mature for his age and is well aware of what racing is all about.

Kyle, if you are reading these, do not let one "wannabe, whinny, middle aged etc..."get to you or discourage you. You are doing a phenomenal job. Keep doing what you are doing 'cause you are goin' places this guy ain't. ;)

BBFuller24

I think that sums up the opinion of everyone that matters!

:P In reference to the [edited out by Nick Holt, 5/18/04] that had things to say about Kyle sirrizotti: Should we let kids play little league, should we let kids play football, should we let kids play basketball, or should we make are kids stay home and lock them up in a cage. You can get hurt playing any sport that is a chance we take to live and be competitive, that is the game in life to be competitive and be the best. I personally have 2 girls that have dedicated their lives to softball, that’s all they like to do. And my boy that is 11 hates all sports but you put him behind the wheel of a quarter midget he is happy, that is his passion. What I am trying to say is that Kyle Sirrizotti has a gift of driving cars like I have never seen before. My kid raced quarter midgets with Kyle and his family and we sure miss him. Kyle has won everything you could possibly win in quarter midgets. He was ready for the next step. And I think he has already proven himself to almost every driver in the Allison-legacy circuit. Except for the {edited out by Nick Holt, 5/17/04], let me tell you something bud you better get this kids autograph because he will race mascara with the big boys. But if you ever want to run with Kyle I'll pay for the use of the track and lets see what you've got. This is a great kid; he has an awesome family, many friends, and followers.

P.s. it seems like the Allison-legacy circuit has one problem and that is [edited out by Nick Holt, 5/18/04] because everybody else knows Kyle has better racing abilities experience than anybody on the track.

Archived