Texas Big Shot 250 done...

Jason

This is not the news we were all hoping to hear.

It's a shame because the event was fast becoming recognized as a premier post-season event throughout the racing world. Maybe someone else will step up and put it on anyway.

Nick Holt

the promotors were losing more money than they were bringing in. I know that the promotor lost thousands of dollars in the past two years, but i also think that more advertising to the public instead of just racers would get the fan count up which means more money.

The main reason was losing money, I heard how much, but I'm sure it's not something they want published, but it was staggering. I can't say I didn't see this this coming.

Hopefully the ASA deal at HMS will work out, so we can have that. Maybe All-Pro will be next to add Texas to its list of states.

One track eveyone is overlooking for having lots of room, is Texas World Spwy. Altough that would depend on the track surface being in shape to race on. The Texas Gran Prix revived!!

Or they could pave Saratoga and have the race there. LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO Sorry Jason couldn't resist. LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

I had metioned Texas world a while back, for a race on the romco circuit, all the old guys like (keith riethmeyer, david umscheid, greg davidson, mark chrudimsky) talk about it all the time, how much fun it was and how cool it would be to go back. maybe not a big paying race like 30,000 but just see it added on the romco schedule would be cool.

Hey Jason if you have direct contact with these guys that put on The Big Shot, have they thought about bringing the race to San Antonio Speedway?

The purse can be a smaller, $10,000 for first place can still attract a solid number of cars out of town cars. Add a few other sponsors and build from that. Is there a problem with leasing this track, wanting too much money?

Doesnt Texas World charge some huge amount to rent the track?

Jay, wouldn't HMS need to be Nascar Sanctioned like SAS to have an AllPro race?

I will see if I can get a response out of them about running a similar race at a different track and see what they say.

Jason

The Big Shot probably tried to pay too much to begin with, but once you do it, it's kind of hard to back off to a lower figure. (That's something that wouldn't be a problem if it were a new race and perhaps at a new track, of course.)

As far as Texas World is concerned, the last I heard, the owner doesn't want anything there that involves spectators. He's doing just fine renting the track to the likes of the Porsche club and "Ferraristas." (Who says drivers won't pay to race?)

On the other hand, few short tracks in Texas seem to be all that interested in attracting larger spectator counts and seemingly can survive just off the "back gate."

The Big Shot did have some promotion, but trying to promote one race per year is like ignoring football except for Texas and Texas A&M; without some buildup, the crowds would probably be a lot smaller...

One thing is true: the Big Shot did more for Texas racing in two years, and attracted more national attention to Texas racing, than anyone else has managed to do.

If I am not mistaken a few years back the Snowball paid $50,000 to win. They also had financial problems and lowered the payout for first. They still have an awesome car count and big names show.

I live a few miles outside of Waco. I would not have known about the Big Shot if it wasn't for Wayne telling me he was running it.

It is a 2 hour drive for me to THR. I would show at Houston or San Antonio if it were held at either track. What's another hour added to the drive time? This is Texas ya know!

I'm not sure that moving it to HMS or SAS would make a big difference. The big time drivers would probally show no matter were it was at because of the big money. The key to racing in Texas no matter your location is to draw the fans away from the Football. At THR you got the UT homegames to contend with and HS footsball. SAS has the same problem with Football. HMS has to deal with the Astros finishing the season and the Texans starting and not to mention everything else that there is to do in H-town. The key is to give the fans the best entertainment for the dollar spent. Yes you will have to advertise but Who wants to pay $25 to watch a follow the leader race at THR or anywhere else for that matter. It not Wayne's fault that he kicked tail but the race was boring. If you look back the only time that SAS had "outsiders" for Ocktoberfast was when the got paid "tow-money" or at least that what I heard. Maybe the ASA race will do good things for Texas racing. If ASA likes that track that would be a step in the right direction. If an All-pro race came next and everyone liked it the maybe there is a chance. I think that Houston has the best chance at making a bigshot type race work. The market is good but right now the economy is bad. Maybe Start out at 10K to win and then go up from there depending on car counts and attendence. We all know that Texas is a great place for racing it is just finding a way for everyone else to find out.

:) Problem,yes we know SAS has passing,but I have heard the track is known as 2 dragstrips with 2 turns,but something of this magnitude could draw attention to the track as we have had several big names here in the past even before the current owner took over.

I agree with Tqj3. Except when Benedele won the sunbelt title twice NASCAR has done very little. If you look on the Weeklyracingseries web site under the Sunbelt section there are no stories on San Antonio Speedway or any of its drivers. It only really focuses on the westcoast and racing at Irwindale or the bullring at LV. The bigshot helped bring people here that would not normally be running in Texas. Gary St Amount, Ricky Turner, Jason Hogan, and Bobby Gill just to name a few.

Archived