Kids Moving out of Beginner Classes

I was under the impression that the Kart Class and the 4 Cylinder classes were designed to get kids ready to race "bigger" cars.

After a kid moves to the next class, are they still allowed to move "down" a class and run with the less experienced kids?

An example might be a kid moves from Karts to 4 Cylinders. Can they come back down and race karts against their age group or would they be required to run against the adults?

Or maybe someone moves from 4 Cylinders to Super Stocks. Can they still come back and race in the 4 cylinder class.

It seems to me that these beginner classes should be a launching pad into the "bigger" classes and it should be a one way street. If they are qualified and experienced enough to move up with the big boys, then they shouldn't be able to race against the beginners.

I just wanted to know what other people thought about this.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some kids may move up that aren't ready so it wouldn't be fair to the kids or the other drivers of that class not to let them move back down if they still need to learn more. however i don't think you should have a child compeating in both classes. especially if they are dominating the younger class. JMO

i will talk this over with jim thursday and see what we come up with. but it is a good question

the question here again wasnt about milking it when building a car or gathering money to build a car and still racing a class (here again this forums has a lot of potential lawyers on it )the question is can a driver race for instance a mini stock car and race a more experienced class for example limited and race a mini stock week end week out or race mini and street stock class it would be understanable if a person felt they were able to move up a class and finds themselves not ready after racing a couple of races then moves back down to the class they were in but can they race both classes race after race this is a great question for s.o.s. and t.r.p. both i understand racing limited and street stock class or limited and modified those are not beginners class hey how about mini to farm trucks to more advanced class like street or limited or late model oh yea the farm trucks race for fun and love of six pack and hotdog that might not be good!!!!!! any way good question this has been floating around stands for sometime now this should be e-mailed to tracks to c if you get response from track also just not broadcasted on here

Ahhh...the age old question...why do we allow people to run this class...so, if a kid moves up he should not race....what is next..if a kid comes in and has natural talent...he need to move up too? The rules are clear...13 to 16. Why is there even a question about who is allowed? If your worried about your kid running with a more "advanced" kid...you need to ask yourself why? The only reason I can see...is because maybe your kid wont win...silly huh? Its not a safety factor....and the rule is clearly written...so I dont see why this is even an issue. Now I have seen this question on adult classes to...(for the same reason..they couldnt win) and this is how i see it....if you race against good drivers...you get better. period. You might win less...but...your wins mean more. Now I have to ask...do we have so many cars that we need to make rules to keep some away?

Ahhh...the age old question...why do we allow people to run this class...so, if a kid moves up he should not race....what is next..if a kid comes in and has natural talent...he need to move up too? The rules are clear...13 to 16. Why is there even a question about who is allowed? If your worried about your kid running with a more "advanced" kid...you need to ask yourself why? The only reason I can see...is because maybe your kid wont win...silly huh? Its not a safety factor....and the rule is clearly written...so I dont see why this is even an issue. Now I have seen this question on adult classes to...(for the same reason..they couldnt win) and this is how i see it....if you race against good drivers...you get better. period. You might win less...but...your wins mean more. Now I have to ask...do we have so many cars that we need to make rules to keep some away?

maybe we should let major league baseball players bat in t-ball too... i think you are taking this question a little too far. most parents would agree that even a novice racer at 25 years of age would do better against a 16 year old seasoned racer in the mini stock class but might not do so well in the street stock class against the same kid simply because of the style of driving. the question isn't about age, it's about experiance. there is no need to run down someone else's kid or call into question thier motive for trying to make a fun, kid's, learning class just that and not a practice ground for older children that have already taken the next step.

Here's my two cents worth at the risk of being lectured to.

Back when I raced motocross in my long haired days, there were novice, intermidiate, and expert classes. When someone continually dominated a class they moved up on their own. If they didn't they were kind of shamed into moving up by being called names like cherry picker.

Obviously we can't divide car classes by experience, except for making an entry level class which there is, becuase of car count. If some experienced driver is dominating a class then everyone else needs to up their game. If an experienced driver, or a driver with very good abilities, double times it in a class that is considered a start up class that could be considered cherry picking. I don't think there are any rules against it but maybe track management needs to make a call on some occasions.

i know lets have the track give trophies to all the drivers in the minis like they do in T-ball and peewee football. This way nobodies feelings get hurt and everyone is told they are a winner no losers. The word racing like everything else is starting to take on a new meaning of its own. Do your homework people and get better/faster. One day you will find yourself having someone make rules against you or your driver. Just win baby!

i know lets have the track give trophies to all the drivers in the minis like they do in T-ball and peewee football. This way nobodies feelings get hurt and everyone is told they are a winner no losers. The word racing like everything else is starting to take on a new meaning of its own. Do your homework people and get better/faster. One day you will find yourself having someone make rules against you or your driver. Just win baby!

ok i dont think this was put on here about some people's kids not winning or able to win and crying about it last year a young driver in edna drove mini stock went to limited was not let come back to mini stock ok here is the whole point can a person race one class go to another class and then race mini's would it be ok for him to race mini stock again yes or no their is no rules then why wasnt he let race mini stock i dont see it as people crying about not winning if parents are teaching their kids correct it would be about being good sportsmanship right some how baseball got in on this ???? baseball is team sport racing is about driver handling his car this class is stosk stock stock only so car doesnt come into factor right any way what is rules on tear down on mini stock class (fee) this is a paying class all cars should be neck and neck correct

Sure hope the "decision" ultimately doesnt chase off anyone, not many tracks are in that position. I guess I still dont even understand what the big deal is. I am still waiting for Howard Willis to show up in a Street Stocker one day so I can say I raced against that man, maybe one day it will happen!

why is this being compared to baseball? really? lets compare it to something a bit closer, hey how about Nascar!!!! Ahah!!! Look how many cup drivers run Nationwide races, and a few that run trucks, like it was said earlier, step up the game, get better and faster, if you get beat, DO NOT cry that you got beat or that he or she is cheating, take it and come back next time and try harder!!!! JMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

This is a much debated topic across the spectrum for many different classes. It is difficult when someone is just getting started to see a more experienced driver return. My analysis of this is from the black and white written text in the rules or actually the fact that it is not addressed anywhere. From reading the text it is not addressed, thus seems that if the driver meets the age requirement, they would be legal for the class. If Howard Willis showed up in a Street Stock with us, he'd likely spank everyone, but what a treat it would be to have him run with us considering he has about 600 feature wins. Actually, if Howard showed up, I'd prolly kick Lauren out the car for the night so I could run with him.. :lol:

I'll wait to see how this works out this weekend as we had our eye on another mini-stock.

-Monty

(not an attorney, but I played one in 1987 on a television series).

My comparison to T-ball was because its an everyone wins sport no matter if you lost the game 25 - 0! Little Johnnie still gets a trophy and never won a game! OK whatever if that is what everyone things is needed fine. But not in Racing! Racing has clear cut winners and losers of each race! You dont water down a class just so a subpair driver can do better. A beginner class teaches you how to drive and the fundamentals involved in it not how to win a race or be embarrassed when a better driver steps down once in awhile and happens to win, Big Deal! Trying to fix something that isnt even broke!

Ok I know this topic is pointed towards me and another person at TRP. Is it not right to want to have fun?? I raced out there for the same reasons the other kids race out there to go and have FUN. That's all racing is about and there is nothing in the rules for either track that states that once you move up to a bigger class you can't move back down. It's all to have fun and enjoy the sport, but when people complain about this kind of stuff it makes it not fun. You can complain about a 15 year old moving back down for 1 race, but not about a 20 something year old (#14 front runner last year) racing with kids for a whole season?! How is it hurting the class to allow kids to race more than 1 class?

Ok I know this topic is pointed towards me and another person at TRP. Is it not right to want to have fun?? I raced out there for the same reasons the other kids race out there to go and have FUN. That's all racing is about and there is nothing in the rules for either track that states that once you move up to a bigger class you can't move back down. It's all to have fun and enjoy the sport, but when people complain about this kind of stuff it makes it not fun. You can complain about a 15 year old moving back down for 1 race, but not about a 20 something year old (#14 front runner last year) racing with kids for a whole season?! How is it hurting the class to allow kids to race more than 1 class?

i agree monty the rules dont have anything in them so that should clear everything saturday

i dont think it would be good for this class due to it has lost car count from last year i think the age limit should be the only factor and with #55 back it would help class and the point i think was being asked why a driver couldnt do it last year and this year its being done

Way to go girl proud of you for sticking up for yourself! Dont let a couple of crybabies ruin something that you love to do with your family and have been doing since you were in diapers!

Archived