ROMCO TIRES

Bar2248

Responce To:

HORSEPOWER Posted: Mar 28 2003, 09:09 PM

My pick Brandon Bendele, backup Chris Davidson. Are the new racing tires a factor for any of the teams, or are they pretty much the same type tire?

I'm not real for sure, I think they are a little harder compound, with stiffer side walls. Towards the end of the race they got really greasey at Houston, but there was alot of stuff on the tracks from all the wrecks too. Maybe someone else can answer you better cause im not real forsure, but i can probably give you a better idea after the kyle race.

In the old days, the McCrearys were known to be a bit harder compound than the Hoosiers and got greasy a lot quicker.

When I was trying to decide which tire would be the track tire (way back when I was competition director in the mid 90's at SAS) we (the local chapter of the SAE helped out) conducted a side by side comparison of the McCrearys and the Hoosiers. We invited Goodyear to participate too, but they never showed up. To make a long story short, the Hoosiers won out over the McCrearys in all categories except tire wear. The Hoosiers were more consistent, showed better tire wear patterns, had better resistance to blistering, had better lap times and were prefered by all the drivers particpating in the trials. Perhaps most importantly, the Hoosiers showed better ability to cycle through several cool-down periods. The McCrearys, on the other hand, were greasy after they had been heated up to racing temperatures on its first cycle. In other words, the McCrearys were good for several laps, but once they had been heated up they got worse and worse while the Hoosiers dropped of a lot less.

You can read about the tire tests in an old issue of Short Track Racing Magazine.

Of course, the new American tires may not be the same as the old McCrearys, but it sure seems like they are.

Nick Holt

Umm, Im not sure yet. We have only run on the tires once. I didn't even practice on the New type tires. I just ran the old hoosiers fomr the big shot and put the new American Racers on for qual. They go treal greasy at the end of the race, but there was alot of stuff on the track too. More drivers can probably let you know after the kyle race.

When SAS had their practice I think there was 3 ROMCO cars that were out there possibly on the new tires I would have thought more cars would have taken the opp to try them out there instead of waiting till raceday maybe they are just not that worried about it or are they... Just an observation. The three were Bendele Grimes and Grothues. Like you said the only way we will really know is once that rubber hits the track more often...

Meredith Race Engines,

This is a quote from one of your earlier posts in this thread:

<<from what i heard from a certain source (cant say any names it seems to affend people) ....>>

This comment seems to imply that you feel like you are being picked on. I am sorry you feel that way since all Jason and I are trying to do is to keep you and others from using this forum as a method to promote your business. Your comments above are obviously in response to our recent attempts to get you to refrain from using this forum as an advertising medium. If the rules of this forum are not acceptable to you, no one is forcing you to post here.

However, it is my hope that you will continue to post here since you obviously have opinions and information that benefit all of us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Nick Holt

Hey kevin, your right they are the same company, but just like nascar as time go's along the tires change to try to help improve them. they just don't change as much as nascar tires do (change every track), but to help try to clear things up, i noticed the #8 team tried the hoosiers in the back and american racers in the front, this was because he wanted it a little bit stiffer on the right front and since the side walls on the american racer are stiffer it probably changed it like 10-15 pounds (like a stiffer spring or a spring rubber) I guess he also just wanted to try somthin.

And to answer the person who said about trying the new tire during practice, i was asked by my dad if i wanted to try the new tire and i replied with "naa, it's cool we can just go out on the old hoosiers and put the new american racers on for qual, it will save us money, trust me i can handle it" Of course i did spin out on my second lap trying to drive the car to hard, (had nothing to do with me never being on the tires), thats probably why i didn't pick up alot with the new tires like doug hooks did (cause i spun out ). but who knows, i guess we will find out more when we go to kyle.

I don't know what the tires will do on a long run, but, they are faster than I thought they would be on a short run. We practiced at Kyle with a set that had 4 heat cycles on them and ran 3 laps back to back that were faster than I have ever qualified there on new Hoosiers. The air pressure is about the same, about 1-1.5 psi lower for longer runs.

from a test at kyle before the houston race we put a 50 lap session on hoosiers then put a 50 lap session on American Racers we noticed that my dad was right. Just like back in the old TIDA days the McRearys were bad about blistering on long runs and having tires going down. From our test with a rookie of the series the American Racers came off the track 40 - 50 degrees hotter than the hoosiers. You tell me what you think. Doug Hooks said he had no problem at houston with the American tires and we looked at the tires the next morning after the race and there was a lot of tire left. Either he never really had to hustle the car and get all over the tires or houston is real easy on tires. i dunno you tell me.

MUmscheid51,

Your 50-lap mini-test at THR replicates what we our tire tests discovered 10 years ago at SAS. The McCrearys (now American Racer) ran hotter, blister easier and turn greasy after one heat cycle. The McCrears do wear better than the Hoosiers though if you measure tread depth remaining after a given number of laps.

Time will tell, but I suspect that some of the ROMCO teams will start asking for the Hoosiers back after a few races at THR and SAS where tire temps are an issue.

Nick Holt

yes sir i believe u are right. no offense to wayne at day motorsports who is the main distributer for the american racers but i dont think they (the tires) have what it takes to beat out the hoosiers.

Archived