SAS rained out 5/1/04

NickHolt

asa race on speedchannel from lanier ga tonite at 7 pm-see if casey smith can get another top 5-go casey-bring it home

Right on, Tommy..

Good luck to Casey tonight...

Hopefully, we'll give updates on his progress while we're racing at THR..instead of getting to see the race on TV!

supertx,

Did you expect anything else from Sepich?

I'm not sure if that's a slam against Mr. Sepich or not, but to me it sounds like they correctly called the races off and a joint decision with Mr. Mullins was made not to make these races up.

I'm sure there are many valid reasons why these races are not being rescheduled. For one thing, SAS has an obligation to run so many NASCAR Weekly Racing Series sanctioned races and the number of weekends left is fast dwindling down.

Nick Holt

Just wandering why this race wont be able to be made up. Wasn't there a date at the end of May that was open and was the original make up date for tonights races??

This sucks that we wont be able to run SAS until August.

And to bad the pits arent paved because at 10:10 am here at my house the sun is out and its clearing up quick.

I'm betting that every track owner in Texas would love to have paved pits and paved parking. Know anyone who has paving equipment and is willing to volunteer?

Nick Holt

You are right, Jason. At Houston it is really hot in those pits during the summer. Let's just pave the parking lots of every track in Texas

Maybe someone would volunteer to design a drainage system under the pit areas. Clean, smooth gravel works well for the pits, but I think there should be flat concrete slabs to accomodate every race team as well.

Nick Holt

Agreed nick. A drainage system would be very useful and slabs would be nice but wouldn't that be pretty costly? What happens if you paint asphalt white or a light grey. Would it still got real hot?

I think the year before it became the ROMCO series, the race was held on Sunday afternoon. This would be an OK idea for the guys coming a long way to race.

A NASCAR sanctioned track and Houston gets a date with a Nascar touring series. Then you know there's a problem. The owner's need to start puting some more money into the track, so that the track can stay open for several years to come. Unless if they are waiting to see how Toyota affects the track.

HORSEPOWER,

I think the year before it became the ROMCO series, the race was held on Sunday afternoon. This would be an OK idea for the guys coming a long way to race.

Ask any alphalt Texas promoter or track owner if scheduling a Sunday race is a good idea. Sunday races have historically been money-losers. Putting on a race on Saturday night is iffy enough. Sunday afternoon is a sure loser.

A NASCAR sanctioned track and Houston gets a date with a Nascar touring series. Then you know there's a problem.  

There's a lot more to getting a national touring series into a track than simply being a NASCAR sanctioned track and having nice track infrastructure. Most of the financial arrangements are not publicised, but I can assure you that someone put up big money (maybe even six-figures) to land that Houston race May 8th.

Nick Holt

Since April 2, 2004, San Antonio Speedway and the immediate surrounding area has received over 12 inches of rain. This morning over 1.5 inches of rain fell in less than 2 hours with more rain forecast and record cold temperatures. The grounds are saturated and there is no where for the water to go. The drainage at the track has always been problematic but has been greatly exacerbated by road construction on the Highway 16 / Watson Road intersection. The excessive amount of rain has also slowed road construction causing more drainage problems. Water is sitting in places that always drained in the past. This will be corrected in the future after construction is completed.

In the past 8 weekends (March 17 – May 1) rain has fallen 5 times (61.50%). Of the 6 races scheduled only 3 have been completed (50%).

San Antonio Speedway leased the track to the ROMCO Super Late Model series on March 17, 2004. Heavy rains forced the cancellation of the event. Rescheduling possibilities included May 29 (Memorial Day Weekend), July 3 (Fourth of July), and May 1, 2004.

San Antonio Speedway is NASCAR sanctioned and must schedule a minimum number of races for its Drivers and Crews to compete for local, regional, and national points, monies, and recognition. Scheduling conflicts with other series schedules, track schedules, and sponsor contracts eliminated other dates. The rescheduled date selected by Robert Mullins was May 1.

Canceling races is not an easy decision to make. San Antonio Speedway made every effort possible to provide a suitable facility for this event. The decision to cancel the races at San Antonio Speedway this weekend and to not reschedule this race was made by Robert Mullins and his staff after looking at all worst case/ best case scenarios and possibilities. Mr. Mullins and Mr. Barden made this decision at 9:15 this morning.

Mike Sepich

Guest The_Greek
Since April 2, 2004, San Antonio Speedway and the immediate surrounding area has received over 12 inches of rain. This morning over 1.5 inches of rain fell in less than 2 hours with more rain forecast and record cold temperatures. The grounds are saturated and there is no where for the water to go. The drainage at the track has always been problematic but has been greatly exacerbated by road construction on the Highway 16 / Watson Road intersection. The excessive amount of rain has also slowed road construction causing more drainage problems. Water is sitting in places that always drained in the past. This will be corrected in the future after construction is completed.

In the past 8 weekends (March 17 – May 1) rain has fallen 5 times (61.50%). Of the 6 races scheduled only 3 have been completed (50%).

San Antonio Speedway leased the track to the ROMCO Super Late Model series on March 17, 2004. Heavy rains forced the cancellation of the event. Rescheduling possibilities included May 29 (Memorial Day Weekend), July 3 (Fourth of July), and May 1, 2004.

San Antonio Speedway is NASCAR sanctioned and must schedule a minimum number of races for its Drivers and Crews to compete for local, regional, and national points, monies, and recognition. Scheduling conflicts with other series schedules, track schedules, and sponsor contracts eliminated other dates. The rescheduled date selected by Robert Mullins was May 1.

Canceling races is not an easy decision to make. San Antonio Speedway made every effort possible to provide a suitable facility for this event. The decision to cancel the races at San Antonio Speedway this weekend and to not reschedule this race was made by Robert Mullins and his staff after looking at all worst case/ best case scenarios and possibilities. Mr. Mullins and Mr. Barden made this decision at 9:15 this morning.

Mike Sepich

ive seen Super Latemodels run on the same night as the regular latemodels at SAS, why isnt that a possiblilty? it sure would be nice to give the fans a treat every once in awhile, and lastly waiting for August to see Romco in SAS would really suck as the previous poster stated, not too mention they used to run at SAS 5 times a year, then it was cut back to 3 races, and now it will be 2 races this year.

one more point, if SAS is definetly out of the equation for a makeup race, why not add another race to one of the other tracks, that is if that can be worked out, ill give a suggestion, try CCMS.

Official Texas Pro Sedans announcement:

Both of the TPS primary race dates on April 24 and the rain date on May 1 were rained out at San Antonio Speedway. The Texas Pro Sedans Race Director and Mike Seich, Manager of San Antonio Speedway reached a verbal agreement at approximately 1pm Saturday to cancel TPS Race # 2 at SAS. The event will not be made up at a later date during the 2004 season because a compatible date is not available to either organization.

The next three TPS race dates:

May 8 - Thunder Hill Raceway

May 29- C.C. Motor Speedway

June 5 - San Antonio Speedway.

Neil Upchurch

Race Director

Texas Pro Sedans

I'm not trying to fire anything up, so please nobody jump to conclusions here, but are there any open dates at SAS from now til say the end of July that the Romco race could possibly be made up on?

What about a Friday night show? I know someone will say that people work on Friday, but SAS has had packed stands on Fridays before at the first two or three years of Oktoberfast.

Guest The_Greek
I'm not trying to fire anything up, so please nobody jump to conclusions here, but are there any open dates at SAS from now til say the end of July that the Romco race could possibly be made up on?

What about a Friday night show? I know someone will say that people work on Friday, but SAS has had packed stands on Fridays before at the first two or three years of Oktoberfast.

i agree, if they really wanted too, they could get something done.

Guest The_Greek
I agree but its easy for us to say when we aren't the ones who our putting the money on the line.

i disagree, if we the fans dont show, they will have a hard time holding races anywhere, all u have to do is look around at other tracks who are currently closed or about to close. it helps to listen to the fans every once in awhile, like i said earlier if they really really wanted to re-schedule they would, its not rocket science. or try an add another date to one of the other tracks.

What the problem is economics... Mr Sepich please correct me if I am wrong but... If I am not mistaken when ROMCO pays the track to lease it, they get most of the gate reciepts tho I dunno about concessions and they have thier own insurance. I imagine ROMCO collects a fee from TSRS ARTS and/or whoever. Now if SAS has to reschedule the race where they run with the SAS , SAS would have to cover extra insurance for one, pay thier purse since Romco wont be able to collect gate recipts to cover the purse unless a good sponsor comes along to cover that. It sounds easy to say ok lets race but if it were to happen you probrobly would see a ticket price that would have to be $10 more to make it happen thats $10 more than what you would have paid to see the race today... Maybe they can resched elsewhere but that is more than likely the sinario to make it work in SA. Now that was just to cover Romco if you add TSRS ARTS ect. you come across the same issues though the amt of money needed goes down...

Hopefully the rain will stop and we wont have any more problems like this for the rest of the year...

Archived