Trailer Race....

actually the idea is to dislodge the trailer (as I understand it) not destroy the tow vehicle....the boat is supposed to come off...to act as an obstacle. The last one running with an attached trailer is the winner...or that is how I understand this race to be run. I dont want my car destroyed...but..not worried about some dents....but..that is a chance we all take every week. So...maybe SOS could clarify...this is not about destroying the tow vehicle right?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you add up all the expenses sunk into a racing vehicle it adds up. While $3500.00 is expensive is a somewhat reasonalbe amount even for a farm truck. First if you didn't have one just lying around you have to buy one. You are looking at $1000.00 to $500.00 easy. Plus you have to have a trailer to pull it out there so another $1500.00 easily. Then racing seat, suit, helmet, neck ring, shoes, and gloves lets say around $400.00 for all of that. Then the roll cage, tires, decals and rebuilding an engine and spare parts another $1000.00. It all adds up. :o

The farm trucks are my favorite class. They keep me and my family coming each race night. You know they are out to have a good time and enjoy themselves which is more than I can say about some other racers. For ameteurs (not pros like some of the people on this forum think of themselves) <_< I think they put on one good show. So maybe some of you other racers should give them a break and support them like the racers they are. Thanks to SOS for bringing them out. We have a great time out there!! :lol:

so..not interested mopar guy? I need to know...not going to get another boat just to have it sit in the yard...is anyone thinking of running this race...or...will i win by showing up?

post-11825-1272391830.jpg

This is one of two that we are trying to get back on the track by next race. Sorry, but I am not ready to junk this one just yet.

When you add up all the expenses sunk into a racing vehicle it adds up. While $3500.00 is expensive is a somewhat reasonalbe amount even for a farm truck. First if you didn't have one just lying around you have to buy one. You are looking at $1000.00 to $500.00 easy. Plus you have to have a trailer to pull it out there so another $1500.00 easily. Then racing seat, suit, helmet, neck ring, shoes, and gloves lets say around $400.00 for all of that. Then the roll cage, tires, decals and rebuilding an engine and spare parts another $1000.00. It all adds up. :o

The farm trucks are my favorite class. They keep me and my family coming each race night. You know they are out to have a good time and enjoy themselves which is more than I can say about some other racers. For ameteurs (not pros like some of the people on this forum think of themselves) <_< I think they put on one good show. So maybe some of you other racers should give them a break and support them like the racers they are. Thanks to SOS for bringing them out. We have a great time out there!! :lol:

Very well said! Thank you!

so..not interested mopar guy? I need to know...not going to get another boat just to have it sit in the yard...is anyone thinking of running this race...or...will i win by showing up?

Looks like you are the WIENER!!!!! :lol:

very well said mopar and fansos. the farm truck drivers are all pretty much beginners in the racing circle (or oval if you will), so they dont have all the resources people who have been doing this for years have. that means every little thing costs money and it adds up. 25$ every race, carb, cage, safety stuff, gastank, racing tires and rims to put them on now....the list goes on and on. every time through tech they add something. 3500 is a pretty steep, but accurate number. and there is no purse....... you wont be seeing any of those trucks in demo derbies or trailer races or whatever....

Certainly wasn't trying to offend anyone. I respect all of the classes! Even as a driver I enjoy watching the farmtrucks race. Hell... I think they should throw a tall boy to all the racers that make it across the tech pad after the race!!! I think its great that we get out there and make it happen and race. Too many times I have sat in the stands and heard people criticize driving, or even put someones car down cus it isn't as pretty as the others, but at least we are out there!

Believe me... I know racing adds up quick - The only point I was trying to make was that I was hoping it wasn't a 3500.00 truck (obviously the helmet, fire suite, gloves, shoes, and trailer would have made it out unscathed) that got totaled.

I dont see adding the cost of racing or the cost of safety equipment to the price of the race vehicle as realistic....the trailer and safety gear can be moved to another car/truck...the only realistic thing that can be hurt in this type of RACE (not demo derby) is the body...possibly the frame...which mopar guy proved has as much of a chance of happening in a normal race.... I dont like demo derbys (being in them) but i do like odd races..like bag races...chain races..trailer races... and so do the fans....but they dont want to see 2 cars racing... as far as the farm truck guys...I like the class...but I do not like the guys in the class spending 3500$ on their truck (not the safety equipment) cause that is not the point of the class....if you have that much..in my eyes you are cheating, move up a class...trucks were supposed to be cheap..and the worse they handle...the more stock they are, the more even the class will be...and they will put on a better show. Sorry to even think that people in this class might enjoy a cool race...or worse yet help support the track in putting on a good show....you just keep buying those parts...next year...will call them street stock trucks....then we can go full circle and just call you hot stock trucks....you know...now that I think about it...you guys got your race tires....its about time you ask for headers....and heck..its tough to find stock heads...I say...aftermarket should be allowed too....lol Sorry I stepped on your toes...I forgot racing is all about who takes home the hot dog....not about how much fun it was just to race...AJ

I dont see adding the cost of racing or the cost of safety equipment to the price of the race vehicle as realistic....the trailer and safety gear can be moved to another car/truck...the only realistic thing that can be hurt in this type of RACE (not demo derby) is the body...possibly the frame...which mopar guy proved has as much of a chance of happening in a normal race.... I dont like demo derbys (being in them) but i do like odd races..like bag races...chain races..trailer races... and so do the fans....but they dont want to see 2 cars racing... as far as the farm truck guys...I like the class...but I do not like the guys in the class spending 3500$ on their truck (not the safety equipment) cause that is not the point of the class....if you have that much..in my eyes you are cheating, move up a class...trucks were supposed to be cheap..and the worse they handle...the more stock they are, the more even the class will be...and they will put on a better show. Sorry to even think that people in this class might enjoy a cool race...or worse yet help support the track in putting on a good show....you just keep buying those parts...next year...will call them street stock trucks....then we can go full circle and just call you hot stock trucks....you know...now that I think about it...you guys got your race tires....its about time you ask for headers....and heck..its tough to find stock heads...I say...aftermarket should be allowed too....lol Sorry I stepped on your toes...I forgot racing is all about who takes home the hot dog....not about how much fun it was just to race...AJ

aj your right about somethings and wrong about some as far as racing tires yes a few did ask to run them and with a few drivers in other classes concerned about some trucks cutting groves in track so track told them they could run racing tires as headers some trucks are running them and by may 1st rules state headers to be taken off and only stock exhaust and has to be ran down under truck and stop at transmission cross member,yes some may be running more motor than stock and class at one time had more trucks thier has been total of 18 trucks race and 15 at one time the most they had recently was 11 or so this is cause some trucks has decided not to race because of the trucks stretching the rules when you start lowering trucks,modifing suspension, racing tires and rims,headers carbs,engine mods, it adds up the racing tires would be for safety reasons and for expense any money that leaves your pocket is a cost (expense)even if its for safety equipment i believe the safety belts window net has dates and after so many years cant be used so figure cost of net and belts and divide by years before needing replaced and that is an expense for that lol anyway the cost is driving some trucks away when rules are stretched after the tech guy drops hammer and gets control of it we may see the rest of farm trucks show back up pull headers off keep racing tires check carbs and get exhaust to trans.,x-member and the tech guy is doing wonderfull he has caught a few cars with more to come in every class it will soon be a level playing field..i'm tring to build one and looks like i will have around 2000. only paid 500 for truck

aj your right about somethings and wrong about some as far as racing tires yes a few did ask to run them and with a few drivers in other classes concerned about some trucks cutting groves in track so track told them they could run racing tires as headers some trucks are running them and by may 1st rules state headers to be taken off and only stock exhaust and has to be ran down under truck and stop at transmission cross member,yes some may be running more motor than stock and class at one time had more trucks thier has been total of 18 trucks race and 15 at one time the most they had recently was 11 or so this is cause some trucks has decided not to race because of the trucks stretching the rules when you start lowering trucks,modifing suspension, racing tires and rims,headers carbs,engine mods, it adds up the racing tires would be for safety reasons and for expense any money that leaves your pocket is a cost (expense)even if its for safety equipment i believe the safety belts window net has dates and after so many years cant be used so figure cost of net and belts and divide by years before needing replaced and that is an expense for that lol anyway the cost is driving some trucks away when rules are stretched after the tech guy drops hammer and gets control of it we may see the rest of farm trucks show back up pull headers off keep racing tires check carbs and get exhaust to trans.,x-member and the tech guy is doing wonderfull he has caught a few cars with more to come in every class it will soon be a level playing field..i'm tring to build one and looks like i will have around 2000. only paid 500 for truck

well said both of you! as far as teching the farm trucks, we can only tech them if they actually come through tech. i can look at some trucks and tell they are not quite up to par on the rules, but kurt and i are trying to change things one at a time for the better. some things we miss, and some we just don't know about. we ARE only human and there are alot of classes and alot of rules to remember so we usually only check a few things per night. If there is something you or anyone wants us to check, bring it to our attention without accusing or pointing fingers and we will be happy to check it out on all the cars/trucks.

Really no use in debating the money issue in farm trucks. As someone who actually races in the class, I see every expense as "realistic". The simple fact is "if" you find a 500.00 truck it is bound to have some problems (brakes, motor, wheels/tires, transmission, or something) and if you dont own or have family that own a salvage yard, you are going to pay big for "stock" parts to get/keep it running. Now being that we are the "cool race" every two weeks I can tell you that most will not be interested in the trailer race. This just meaning that they will not want to take the chance of having to repair/rebuild their truck after an exhibition race (demo derby), with the next class race only being two weeks away. Why not have a Super Stock sled pull, or Street Stock sack race, or Modified chain race? I would be interested in knowing how many "track supporters" there would be! I think that exhibition races should be left up to the people who mainly do exhibition type stuff, or racers that have access to unlimited junk vehicles. I am not trying to start any trouble, just giving my point of view. The farm guys know exactly how fun it is to race! Remember we go out there every two weeks the same as anyone else, except we do it knowing that there will be zero money paid out to the winner(s)! So I guess it would be safe to say that for someone to stay in that class (race after race, and wreck after wreck) the drivers in the farm truck class are racing for fun, crowd entertainment, and in strong support of Jim, Laurie, and family (SOS).

Now being that we are the "cool race" every two weeks.....

true dat. Observing the fan reactions, it sure seems that at SOS, the farm trucks and the street stocks really crank up the fans. Farm trucks because they are unique and street stocks because of the extremely close competition. At Texana, the super stocks even with a small count are absolutely the best "entertainment". Of course, every class is valuable at the tracks and every track has a class that stands out, but for sure the farm trucks at SOS are a unique and special commodity. I doubt they'd be a hit around somewhere like the DFW metro area, but they sure do work in this rural area, and I suspect they for sure are an asset to the track. Hot dog and a six pack... don't change that.

Personally, I believe that the farm trucks are a real testament to the visionary that Jim is.

, except we do it knowing that there will be zero money paid out to the winner(s)! So I guess it would be safe to say that for someone to stay in that class (race after race, and wreck after wreck) the drivers in the farm truck class are racing for fun, crowd entertainment, and in strong support of Jim, Laurie, and family (SOS).

i think they paid $500 to the last demo derby winner, and seeing how this race isn't realy supposed to be "demo derby" race it may be a great way to recoup some of the expense of racing.

Is a winner of a "demo derby" really a winner if you plan to use that vehicle again?

once again "... seeing how this race isn't realy supposed to be "demo derby" race..." (see above post) besides, the demo derby guys used their cars 5 or 6 times.

Archived