Grand Stock

hobby74

if this is / was supposed to be run like a real race why is it then that some one is allowed to run across the track to work on a car think stinky stuff wouldn't hit the fan if that happened in the street stocks or trucks or any "serious" class

entertaining - maybe

serious - not yet

It seems like THR is trying to get more people into racing by starting this class, and just maybe they will like it enough to step up to another class. Come on guys, give it a chance, they have only raced the grand class 2 times right? I'm sure some adjustments will need to be made, and that just

take a little time. Everybody wants to have a cheap series to race in, and when you get one, all you do is put it down, lighten up!

thrss1,

if this is / was supposed to be run like a real race why is it then that some one is allowed to run across the track to work on a car think stinky stuff wouldn't hit the fan if that happened in the street stocks or trucks or any "serious" class

The individual who ran across the track to the infield during the Grand event was not "allowed" to do so. He darted out from the pit area without any sort of permission to do so from track officials. He was intercepted by infield workers, retained in the infield area until the event was over and received a talk about safety from the turn-three official.

Nick Holt

Jason,

So what safety features do these grand cars have besides a roll cage?

There are very strict safety requirements for the Grand Stock class.

1) Four-point roll cage

2) Three door bars on both driver's and passenger's side

3) Eighth-inch steel doorplate in driver's door

4) Driver door foot protector recommended

5) Racing seat recommended - if stock seat is used must have a rear impact brace.

6) Racing type seat belts required

7) Fuel cell or boat gas tank

8) Battery must be in a battery box and bolted and strapped to the floor if located in the driver's area.

9) Fire extinguisher required and securely mounted within driver's reach

10) Approved racing helmets required

11) Approved driving suits required

12) Glass and trim must be removed except windshield

13) Doors must be welded or chained shut

14) Approved racing window net required

15) Overflow catch can required

16) Fuel lines must be routed outside the driver's compartment

17) Carbs must have two return springs

18) Front and rear firewalls must be entirely sealed

19) Electric fuel pumps must have shutoff switch

So Jason, sound like an unsafe car to you? Not to me.... You'd better come up with a better excuse to back out of your match race with Mary Ann.... LOL

Nick Holt

nick i did not mean for it to sound like THR let him go across the track. it was meant in a way that if the people racing the class were taking serious they would know better. and i did not doubt running across the track was overlooked.

given the chance this could be a very good class

NSDO82004-

I'M NOT SAYING IT COUD'NT BE A GOOD CLASS- I'M A VERY STRONG SUPPORTTER OF MY TRACK....IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS THEY'VE DONE ALOT FOR ALL OF US..BUT I'M GOING TO EXPRESS MY OPINION ON WHAT I SEE AND SO SHOULD EVERYONE ELSE TO HELP THEM IMPROVE THIS CLASS...I'M NOT KNOCKING THE CLASS - I'M TRYING TO HELP IT SURVIVE BY SAYING "IF IT'S LOOKS LIKE A JOKE , AND SEEMS LIKE A JOKE, BUT NO ONE IS LAUGHING- THEN IT'S A BAD JOKE" SO JUST TRY TO KEEP IT MORE PROFESSIONAL FOR THE CLASSES OWN SURVIVAL.....

First of all... I would like to comment on the class being a joke <_< ...yes the guys driving in this class right now tryng to get it started are having fun with it... and i think they are doing a bang up job.. no pun intended... lol... they put on a great show as well as a good close.. safe... race !!! I spoke after the race with the two 18 yr olds that had never driven before and they said they had the time of their lives.. and at NO time did they ever feel that anything was being done to jeopordize their safety...by the way one the boys is the son of a DPS officer which also thought it was great... I think we need to give these guys (all 6) alot of credit for getting this class off to a great start...

as far as the yellow flag.. and Mark being in the middle of the track... you need to read the rule book before blasting the track or the drivers..

I think this class is going to really catch on quickly, it's fun to watch and doesn't take a lot of money to get started... kudos to whoever came up with the idea of starting this class...personally I had more fun watching them Saturday night more then some of the other races...and to tell you the truth at least they put on a good, clean, fun to watch race...

What more reward do you need other than the adrenalin rush? The class has the same appeal that tracks in the New England area get from what they call "spectator drags". Heck, if they get enough track cars they can start renting them out.

Maybe they can make a weekly series out of grudge match races (crew VS crew, celebrities, etc..)

I think it has a lot of potential to bring new faces to the stands as well as the track. Maybe host a fraterity VS fraternity race and fill the stands with UT students. Maybe Motorola VS AMD with a corporate discount to employees who come to watch and the CEOs driving.

If you are at the ROMCO or TSRS level or even Street Stock, this is not going to interest you because these "aren't real race cars". But if you are new to watching local racing and you need a little entertainment component other than the truely competition level races, what better than capping the evening with a little Grand Stock fun!

Archived