Grand Stock

hobby74

I am very dissapointed in this class, After last night yea it was funny but on the other hand you did get rid of a class that was cheaper than a Hobby stock car but yes not really a purestock class. I was sitting in the stands last night during this race and heard a few people and even myself saying that this was crazy and there is really no need for this. This class to me really brings down the track. I dont know if it is just because I have never seen nothing like this or that it is just new and really no racing involved since it is all buddies out there just playing around. I think dropping this class and giving other classes more laps to fill the spot or time and if that is not an option lets bring back a few Demo's at the track that allways seem to bring a crowd and has to bring more than a Grand stock. I could be wrong but I think that is one move that THR mad a bad decision on.

Jay

Just my opinion

This class is not for the serious racer, that's for sure. It's designed as a dirt-cheap fun class where just about anyone can get into a car and show the world your stuff.

And if you notice, the run after the serious racing program and there is no pre-race practice time alloted -- so the class is not taking up time from the other classes.

As you have said, not everyone is going to fall in love with this sort of racing. But this class is a true entry-level way for someone to get involved in the sport we all love.

Nick Holt

My opinion on this is that nobody in the stands really knows about the class. Since they are the last race nobody ever sees them. What should be done to maybe get more people involved is at intermission or sometime when everybody is still there, bring the cars out and tell the fans about them and how much you can buy them for and so on. That way people will at least know about them. And then tell them if they want to race one tonight after the late model race or whatever then go see whoever at wherever and pay however much it is. Thats just what I think should be done until more fans know about the class.

I thought that it was going to be a beginners class, I like the idea of having the raffle for the chance to drive one of the cars. If taken serious maybe it will attract new drivers. But right now it is just a joke. Also anytime you have what is suppose to be a race car with a driver in it, it has to be taken serious.

Nick,

Why be different? TTOPA was created to have rules common among the tracks. This grand class does not do that. Why not just make it a class similar to CC Bombers, SAS Roadrunners, and I37 Purestock? The class does really well in CC and I am sure it is growing in SA. Make sure the min wheelbase minimum is 108" though.

You know that is a great IDEA. if we used atleast one car maybe 2 cars for fans to buy a ticket for $1 and put this money towards our points fund to help raise that up for us RACERS that would be cool and fun for the track. It is just really not much fun to watch since it is suppose to be a beginners class but you have romco drivers out there you have hobby drivers out there and not one person out there is a beginer to the sport. Bring the cars out at the intermission raffle some tickets off and put a person from the stands in the car. That might help more than seeing guys out there that are just playing around and make it more serious than what it is.

Jay

Jay,

Before I get to your point, let me tell you this. There are a lot of programs that are going on at THR that even WE can't keep up with right now...we're only 2 weeks into the season (2 weekends that we've raced, anyways), and we're still sorting things out. We've got programs we're implementing now and others that will be implemented throughout the season...So, we ask that everyone be patient as we work to implement these programs and get the word out about these programs..

Now, to your question...We ALREADY raise money for the drivers' points fund with the grand stock class..we sold tickets for $5 apiece in the stands on Saturday night, then drew 2 tickets; all the money from those tickets goes to the drivers' points fund..the 2 winners will be given the opportunity to drive the Grand Stocks this Thursday at practice, then again next Saturday during the Grand Stock race..

As for intermissions..realize there are almost always other events going on during intermission during the season..this past Saturday, for example, we had the "makeup" Easter Egg Hunt from the rain out the previous Saturday...we had to cancel something we had planned for this week's intermission, because it was important to give the THR kids their Easter Egg Hunt...

Please keep the suggestions and ideas coming!!! But please realize there will be times when ideas and suggestions may not be able to be carried out.. :D

THE IDEA OF THIS CLASS IS GREAT -BUT I TELL YOU WHAT IF I WAS A GUY THAT NEVER HAD RACED BEFORE ,THEN HEARD ABOUT THIS CLASS ,DECIDED THIS WAS ECONOMICALLY POSSIBLE FOR ME ,GOT MY HOPES UP - BUT THEN SAW WHAT I SAW SATURDAY NIGHT. I'LL JUST SAY I'D BE MORE THAN A LITTLE PUT OFF...RUN THE CARS THE WAY YOU WOULD ANY OTHER CLASS...IT APPEARRED AS A ROLLING CIRCUS. IF I HAD A KID THAT I WAS WANTING TO PUT IN A CAR ' WHICH I'M SURE THERE WERE A FEW FATHERS PLANNING ON DOING ,I WOULD HAVE CHANGED MY MIND NOW...AND THAT'S WHERE THE BLUNT OF THIS CLASSES CAR COUNT WOULD HAVE COME FROM...

THIS IS JUST MY IDIOT DRIPPLE- SHAWN PAUL

MY 2 CENTS WORTH IF ITS WORTH THAT MUCH..... IF YOU CLASIFY A CAR AS A RACE CAR..... YOU MUST DO THE FOLLOWING,,,, MAKE IT SAFE FOR THE DRIVER, SAFE FOR THE OTHER DRIVERS AND SAFE FOR THE TRACK.... IF YOU WANT THE FANS TO PARTICIPATE YOU MUST DO IT BEFORE THE END OF THE NIGHT... IF THE CARS WERE MADE TO BE SAFE TO THE TRACK THEY COULD RUN INTERMISSION... I HAVE NEVER SEEN A CAR RACE WITH HEADLIGHTS AND BLINKERS AND SIDE WINDOWS... THIS CLASS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN ... SCRAPE THE WALL AND GET GLASS IN YOUR EYE AND SEE HOW MUCH FUN THAT IS..... CLEAN THE CARS UP BETTER ,,,RAFFEL RIDES AND MAKE IT A INTERMISSION THING,,,, THE FANS WOULD LOVE IT,,,, MAKE THE TICKETS TO BE BOUGHT BEFORE INTERMISSION ,,,,THEN THEY DRIVE THE CARS IN FRONT OF ALL THE FANS NOT JUST THE HARD CORE ONES WHO SATY ALL NIGHT ...I THINK THAT WOULD ATTRACK MORE FANS TO DRIVE THEM AND MAYBE EVEN BUY ONE...

It looked like racing to me. The three cars that finished were racing side by side and finished together. Wouldn't you rather see that than one or two cars drive away from the field. I think what made the race look silly was the limo. How can you drop the green flag with a car going backwards in turn 1?

Being a yankee... i have seen a class simular to this one grow and bloom into several classes... Enduro is what we call it. And its was basiclly the same thing.. We put over 100 cars on the track at the same time (1/4 mile too) and well 300 laps later there was a winner crowned... it was Green or Red... and if your Transmission only had reverse well guess you better use it to get it to the pits to fix...

It was a blast to watch. and as time went on the rules did get tighter. But almost anyone could afford to put a car out there if they wanted too.. and 3 wide.. that was the norm.. 4 wide was when it really got hairy...

AND I'VE SEEN A CLASS SIMILAR TO THIS DIE -REMEBER THE (WALL BANGERS)...? IT DID'NT WORK BECAUSE IT GOT SO GOOFY THAT IT WAS'NT RACING ANY LONGER ...THIS CLASS HAS START OUT THE WAY THE WALL BANGER LEFT OFF....

Crazy Horse, your points are well taken. But this is a new class, and could be a lot of fun. We were playing with it on Saturday in part because old "Magic Mark" Chrudimsky couldn't get the Cadillac limousine to go in a forward gear.

What resulted wasn't racing, but it was entertaining, and I think Mark has at least grasped the spirit of the class. Meanwhile, up front, as Turn 4 noted, there was racing going on, and three wide at that. Those guys were having a ball, and with ten or 15 cars out there, it could be a hoot.

Yes, the glass and all is suppose3d to be coming out. But (as Chrudimsky's problems showed) some of the cars are just barely finished.

Safety equipment? Jack Sandefur has to pass these cars. They have the safety equipment they need, believe me. Jack won't have it any other way, nor will Nick Holt.

Give it a chance. Even better, buy or build one yourself. There has to be an inexpensive way to get a taste of this game, as well as a way to get some of the local media folks involved and even give the fans a chance to run.

The class was conceived to run last for a variety of reasons, one very good one being that with a bunch of novices out there, clean up might slow the main show.

As for the TTOPA, I'm sure Nick will correct me, but I don't know if the intent is for ALL classes at ALL member tracks to have the same rules. It wouldn't leave much room for experimentation.

TQ,

Thanks for trying to clear some things up but what you posted is not accurate.

Safety equipment? Jack Sandefur has to pass these cars. They have the safety equipment they need, believe me. Jack won't have it any other way, nor will Nick Holt.

So tell me what safety equipment do they have that they need? Just a rollcage is not enough. Safety should be priority over price to claim a car.

Yes, the glass and all is suppose3d to be coming out. But (as Chrudimsky's problems showed) some of the cars are just barely finished.

So why was he on the track?

As for the TTOPA, I'm sure Nick will correct me, but I don't know if the intent is for ALL classes at ALL member tracks to have the same rules. It wouldn't leave much room for experimentation.

Lets go back to January 2nd in the original TTOPA announcement. http://texasspeedzone.com/forums/index.php...410&hl=ttopa&s=

A quote straight from the announcement.

It was agreed that TTOPA’s long-term goals include:

* Promoting closer working relationships among member tracks.

* Working towards formulating similar rules for similar classes and establishing reciprocal rules agreements among member tracks.

The SA Roadrunners, I37 purestock, and CC Bombers follow this. THR's grands do not.

Hell here is a quote straight from Brian Callaway.

Callaway agreed with Sepich and added, "If a team wants to build a race car for one of our tracks, they will be able to run it at any one of them as we develop a set of common rules. And if a team decides to move up a class, they will be able to sell their old car to people from other member tracks, not just their own track. I think people will be more willing to build a car knowing that."

So why have an unsafe, 1000 dollar claimer class when the goal is to have a common car amongst tracks. I doubt you are going to get 20 CC bombers that run weekly to convert to 1000 dollar car claimers.

Not attacking THR. I just do not understand the thinking of this class. I am lined up to be driving one of these on May 15th and now I question whether they are safe or not.

Jason

I just looked at the rules and this is posted under safety.

11. All glass and trim must be removed except for the windshield. If windshield is removed, then adequate driver protection is required.

Yet there is glass still in the cars and they are racing?

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

Ditto, Jason!

This can be a great starter class and yes it is new, but I say, get it under control now in order to get new drivers interested or drivers that cannot afford some of the other classes.

AND I'VE SEEN A CLASS SIMILAR TO THIS DIE -REMEBER THE (WALL BANGERS)...? IT DID'NT WORK BECAUSE IT GOT SO GOOFY THAT IT WAS'NT RACING ANY LONGER ...
Shawn Paul, I totally agree with you about a class similar to this that went out the window. Take it serious, other than that, great night of racing action. Sorry about the car #10 accident, that was scary! I hope everyone not racing themselves went out and supported their local race tracks. Shawn Paul, great to see you out there and NO you are not ready to get back in your car! :rolleyes:

Jason-

The glass isn't removed for driver safety, it's to keep from getting glass all over the track. Yes, the glass will be removed. No, it wasn't on all of the cars because the decision was made to let them go ahead and run. If they got glass on the track, there would be plenty of time for cleanup before the next race because they ran last.

The cars are safe. The intent of the class is that the cost be kept low, but that doesn't mean the necessary safety equipment is not required.

Reb,

I see 4 race tracks within a resonable distance (including i37). 3 out of the 4 tracks have a purestock type class where they can race at each of the 3 tracks. THR is the black sheep here. Why be the black sheep?

Archived