Romco qualifying

champ1796

Neil

I don't know Donnie or Carol, they didn't put me up to this. I don't want you taking anything away from the race teams accomplishments. Don't knock people here that can't defend themselves. You know who I'm talking about. Now I have no respect for you.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't Casey Smith get the track recored in the Spectacular last year? I don't remember the exact time, but I know it was a 14.4 something...

Yeah, and it was close. Casey ran a 14.474 and Brandon ran a 14.472.

Casey's Time

Brandon's Time

C Keys

You can blame the 2 white flags on the guy that was running the CC score board that night as he is the one that had the laps wrong and the announcer looked at that and said it and then Neil said it and then us scorers are telling them no no thats not right. So Neil made the best decision he could and have the white thrown again. Keep in mind he had only about 7 seconds to make that decision. And I think the reason he made that decision was to keep the race at the laps it advertised to run. Which was I think 100 at that time.

Had Slicks car owner not been on the radio celebrating the win, Slicks spotter could have warned him that the white was being thrown again and had slick been watching the flags he might have won the race.

And I am sure Neil has no respect for you either as you deserve none from him.

Kathy,

You don't know me so lay off. This whole series of post about this is BS. Neil just couldn't let the 24 team have their moment without throwing a little shot in there. Forget the fact that we had the best crew chief and driver at the time. That couldn't have been the reason we kicked but. Neil took his shot so I took mine. Turnabout is fair play.

OK... here come's my penny's for thought.

ckeys if this post is so BS then why do you keep adding fuel to the fire I have seen more than one race that has had more than a white. There are many things going on that are invisable to the crowd and especially the drivers.. As for rules, they are there to keep things as fair as possible. Some are cut and dry others are not. You go out and start a series.. I want to see how you deal with all the things that can go wrong... With 1 bad thing will come many good things. So lets get off the bad and back to the good...

ckeys -- Did your team practice at CC despite the rule saying you could not do so? If you did as Mr. Upchurch has stated, then your team did indeed have an advantage over the teams who did not have the opportunity to do so.

ratdaddy -- Did the track have a signed contract with TIDA that contained a stipulation that no TIDA cars be allowed to practice before the TIDA event? If so and if you rented the track to a TIDA team before the event then you violated the terms of the contract you had with TIDA.

Neither of you may care for Mr. Upchurch very much, but the facts stand on their own.

Nick Holt

Nick,

Yes we did have a contract with TIDA to not rent the track to anyone to compete with TIDA. The incident that Niel is refering to was with a car that did infact belong to the 24 team but was not the car that was used for TIDA. The car that is referred to was a car that had a brand new engine and they had asked us if they could turn some laps to break it in because they were going to run it out of state. The driver wasn't even Slick.

If there was a breech of contract why wasn't anything done? I can assure you that there wasn't-- because there was no breech. I do not get along with Neil that is no secret, but I do give him credit were credit is due and do not have a problem speaking to him and being civil I just will not ever do any business with him. At the beginning of race season here I did in fact talk to Neil up in the pressbox with no sparks flying and I think that is something that both of us would want. I hope this clears some of this up

I guess we will see.

DY

Chad,

The point is that I'm not going to let the 24 team be bashed and our accomplishments cut down. Neil could have just talked about the record but he took a shot at us. I responded. That's it.

I really don't see where Mr. Upchurch took a shot at the 24 team. From what I have read in this thread, his beef was with the track management at the time, not with Slick or his team. In fact, what he said about Slick:

Slick Yoemans was among the very best drivers to come from Texas and especially when he was racing at his CC Speedway home track (now called C.C. Motor Speedway).
That doesn't sound like a bash to me.

Nick Holt

ratdaddy,

The information that it was not Slick behind the wheel and that it wasn't a TIDA car is new and casts a whole new light on this discussion. Perhaps some feelings would not have been hurt if this information had been posted earlier in this thread.

Nick Holt

:blink: One thing I would like to get in about CC Speedway. I am extremely happy Doc and Owen have control of the track now. It was beginning to fall apart. Let’s see. The same exact team wanted to rent the track breaking the agreement even though they had "supposedly" a different driver. Hmmm now does that sound fishy or what? It is questionable as to what their motive was. Yellowflag, go ahead and hide behind that name because that’s what losers do. A race track and a race series are two completely different animals here. How can you even begin to compare apples and oranges? I am so glad to see guys like Doty and other comes back to the track after they were run off by the former management. It seems as if that place had the life sucked out of it for all these years with all money going into a few pockets and no money being put back into the speedway. Take a look at the events that have gone so far this year and what a success they have been with a full crowd. The deal they made with the Kiewit people is pure genius. Who ever put that together is the promoter of the year in my book. Now with the new management I am already seeing a change for the better and racers are returning to a MUCH more friendly CC Motor Speedway. For someone like Donnie Yocum to get on here and take shots at Neil when there is PLENTY of stuff that could be said about him is not called for. Look in the mirror. <_<

Jason

The truth is they have both stated their case, and none of us know anymore than what has been said here, except for the ones that were involved. And while I agree that the new ownership seem to be doing a fine job, the Yocums certainly had some success along with some lean years under their ownership. The past few seasons have seen the track have pretty good success with decent car count and crowd, while a lot of tracks were struggling. I am just happy that the track was kept open and running so I have a place to watch racing without having to travel. Something that happened years ago in a now defunct TIDA event means absolutely nothing at this point. Water under the Bridge!

Jason,

First of all I just want to say that I think you are confusing me, with my dad Donnie Yocum. My dad does not post on TSZ but I do. I do not understand where you figure that the track was falling apart, I would have to agree that there were some places that needed some improvement but far from falling apart. Doc & Owen are doing a good job my hats off to them. As far as Doty and some of the others you make it sound as if they were run off for no reason at all. You present things here at times with tunnel vision and not the big picture. It seems that a lot of times when a story is being told it is like a fish story and the fish keeps getting bigger & bigger. I didn't intend to create any problems or hurt any feelings, I posted the way I feel and that is the truth, I am sorry if you do not agree or understand it. I am sure this won't be the end of this for some it seems to calm down and BAM more gas on the fire.

Donnie,

Your prior posts on this thread made it seem as if you were the one calling the shots and you were the one who has beef with Neil. Maybe you could have been clearer on who was really in control of the track.

To: Donnie Jr (son of former CCS owner)

You have brought up brand new information. If it is correct, it is news to me.

At that 1996 race, neither the #24 team nor your father informed me that it wasn’t the #24 TIDA-LM that practiced in spite of the fact that they should have. In fact, at pit check in time, your father told me (using very "profane" language) that, in fact, he admitted renting the track to the #24 the day before the TIDA race and that "nobody was going to tell him how to run his ....... track."

Had he, or the #24 team, informed me that it was another car and another driver that practiced it would have made a great deal of difference. I'm sure I could have easily verified that from others who were present during the alleged practice session. However, the information I received from others as well as from your own father was that it was the #24 TIDA car practicing the day before the TIDA race and that was contrary to TIDA Rules which your father had agreed to respect when a TIDA sponsor was renting the track.

I look forward to returning to Corpus Christi for the first time in nine years and bringing the 29 year old Texas Pro Sedans to CCMS on May 29th. I hope you look me up in Race Control. I am willing to shake your hand.

Finally, I very much appreciate all of the extremely supportive comments that have been posted on this web site and all of the nice phone calls and emails I have received. It is quite gratifying to know that so many people have given me a good place in Texas racing history.

Neil Upchurch

Mr Upchurch,

Regardless of how anyone feels about you personnally, You have done as much for auto racing in Texas as anyone. You have spent untold hours promoting and directing races for any number of classes of cars throughtout this state. Knowone that has been around very long can dispute this.

You have gone out of your way to accomidate many people that you did not have to also. You can rest assured that you will be in the history books of Texas Auto Racing as not only a great competitor but as a great promoter and a great man. So in closing let me say "One mans opinion takes nothing from a GREAT MAN".

Archived