Romco qualifying

champ1796

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Slick Yoemans ran a 12.9x second lap in qualifying for a TIDA Super Late Model race around 1996? timeframe. He smoked the field in a lightweight car equipped with a V-6 Roush engine. Grimes was the only one to finish on the lead lap with Slick.

Pace Car:

You are incorrect on a few figures.

1st - It was 1996 (not 1997) when Slick Yoemans set the last TIDA-LM lap record at CC Speedway.

We didn't race at CC in 1997 because Yocum couldn't come to terms with TIDA.

2nd - Slick's time was 13.3 seconds (not in the 12's).

3rd - He was not in a "light weight Ford V-6". In fact, it weighed 438 lbs over the 8.5 per CID rule.

4th - The only way Grimes stayed on the lead lap with Slick was an intentional spin, in the yellows not scored format, to get a free un-wrap reallignment right behind Slick under the 10% rule.

Slick Yoemans was among the very best drivers to come from Texas and especially when he was racing at his CC Speedway home track (now called C.C. Motor Speedway).

Neil Upchurch

Former President - TIDA-LM Series

And I get to add to Neil's information. Slick's actual time was 13.386 seconds which is the existing TIDA LM track record for CC Speedway (now CCMS).

And Jason is correct. The current CCMS ROMCO track record is 13.094.

Nick Holt

I remember Slick decimating the field in 96, if i remember correctly he was passing "good" cars on the outside. Man that car was wicked fast! And thanks Neil for clarifying the qualifying at that race, rumor has been 12.9s or so for a while. Now, with the recent sealing and the track seeming to be fast, is the Romco qualifying record in jeopardy this weekend?

P.S. It was a V-6 in the car was it not?

Digger,

Texas Pro Sedan Corpus Christi Speedway record was set on Oct. 14, 1989, by Donnie Moore in a VW Scirocco with a time of 15.585 seconds. Not too shabby for a four-banger.

Nick Holt

Champ 1796 -

Yes, Slick Yoemans # 24 T Bird had a 272 Ford V-6 under the hood. Under TIDA-LM rules, he was running at a little over 10 lbs per CID compared the the rest at 8.5 lbs per CID.

A major side-bar note on that race: TIDA-LM rules did not permit practice by any team prior to the race at any track. Reason, to create a level playing field between the out-of-towners and local TIDA drivers. (I believe ROMCO has a similiar rule for the same reason.)

This rule was stated in the contract with CC Speedway. Donnie Yocum apparently ignored the contract he signed and allowed the # 24 to rent the track for a profit he couldn't resist and practice earlier in the week before that race. Now you know one of the reasons why TIDA didn't return to CC Speedway.

That makes the Texas Pro Sedans return to CCMS on May 29 for the first time in nine years a satisfying accomplishment with the new owner and track manager professionally dealing with me and TPS.

Neil Upchurch

Former President - TIDA-LM & Pro Sedans

Horsepower

After digging through all my Texas International Drivers Association Late Model Series records, following is the answer to your San Antonio TIDA-LM record question:

San Antonio Speedway (then known as River City Raceway):

Tommy Grimes, June 29, 1996, 18.395 sec, Monte Carlo-331

Bear in mind that ROMCO Rules & Specifications are quite different than TIDA-LM Rules were. This fact comes close to saying that they are not the same cars but still racing on some of the same tracks.

Neil Upchurch

Former President TIDA-LM

(for its 10 years of operation)

Digger,

Greg Davidson holds the ROMCO record at HMP where he ran a 13.824 in qualifying on September 13, 2003.

Brandon Bendele holds the ROMCO record at SAS where he ran a 18.316 in qualifying on May 3, 2003

Brandon Bendele holds the ROMCO record at THR where he ran a 14.472 in qualifying on April 5, 2003

Greg Davidson holds the ROMCO record at TMS where he ran a 35.362 on June 8, 2002 (Times have not been posted for the last TMS race)

To: Carol Yocum

What I posted about Donnie ignoring our one week, no pre-race practice agreement and renting the track to # 24 is absolutely true and correct information. It contributed to the lopsided win by # 24.

Therefore, there is nothing more to talk about. Having said that, may I wish both of you a good retirement and extend my hope that your husbands health improves.

Neil Upchurch

Former President - TIDA

Brandon Bendele holds the ROMCO record at THR where he ran a 14.472 in qualifying on April 5, 2003

Didn't Casey Smith get the track recored in the Spectacular last year? I don't remember the exact time, but I know it was a 14.4 something...

Tim

Ckeys

Yea it looks like some things never change. It is Niel's way or the hiway-----Niel did do a lot for Racing in Texas and I do give him credit for that but that is all. The reason that they no longer race at C.C. Speedway is because he and I did not get along because of his ATTITUDE and some of the crap that he pulled on us. There is no shred of proof from anyone that we rented the track to the 24 team at all! I'm not trying to start nothing here Nick I just felt like I had to respond. It is not easy to see someone try to drag your Dad thru the mud.

Don Yocum

Neil does not need any backup as he can clearly hold his own but if you want to talk about attitude you might want to look in the mirror and think back last season when you cussed out the camera man (the late Racerpix) on the front straight. Neil has a great reputation in Texas racing and there is NOTHING that you or anyone in your family can say that can hurt it in anyway.

Archived