Sunday's Snowball Derby Coverage

debwill

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are your unofficial finishers for the 42nd Annual Snowball Derby at Five Flags Speedway:

1. Kyle Busch

2. Eddie Mercer

3. Steven Wallace

4. Bobby Gill

5. John Bolen

6. Grant Enfinger

7. Chase Elliott

8. Wayne Niedecken Jr.

9. Ryan Lawler

10. Ryan Seig

11. Scott Carlson

12. Ross Kenseth

13. Scott Hantz

14. Dennis Prunty

15. Dennis Schoenfeld

16. Brian Scott

17. Randy Gentry

18. Johanna Long

19. Gary Helton

20. Danny Bagwell

21. Stephan McCurley

22. Casey Smith

23. David Rogers

24. Justin Drawdy

25. Brian Ickler

26. Shane Seig

27. David Stremme

28. Cale Gale

29. Josh Hamner

30. Tyler Milwood

31. Augie Grill

32. Brian Campbell

33. Hunter Robbins

34. Bubba Pollard

35. Heath Hindman

36. Jeff Choquette

37. Cecil Chunn

too bad more cup guys weren't there to beat him....

sorry, takes the coolness out of the biggest short track race of the year when a Sprint Cupper shows up and wins, sounds like a Nationwide deal..

no it doesnt... Its to bad a pompus icehole ungrateful crybaby won... Yesterday was perfect proof! But as the saying goes even a dead clock is right twice a day...... Good job Texas boys!

On speed 51 there was a qoute from Kyle, something like if you want to be rich and famous you race nascar, if you want to race with the best drivers you go to the 400 and the snowball. He's a racer!

I'm with you mom, Kyle is a racer pure and simple. He paid his money and took his chances just like the rest of the drivers that took the green flag Friday night. My take from listening to Kyle and looking at the expression on his face when he climbed out yesterday is that he sincerely enjoyed the weekend and was proud of his victory (as he well should be, he beat the best yesterday). There is no more talented driver racing stock cars in any series today than Kyle Busch. Way to go Rowdy!

I will never say that Kyle can't drive. He can drive... What cracks me up is how he acts.

When I used to pitch baseball I never once stepped on the plate when I didn't think we werent going to win. I know Kyle has a winning attitude and that is one of the things I will say I like.

Got this tidbit from a LSS member who got it from Marty Little:

.... Polesitter Johanna Long finished 18th, two laps down, while Augie Grill’s bid to become the first driver to win consecutive Snowballs ended with a wreck and he finished 31st. Busch started third and edged Long to take the lead on the opening lap. Grill, starting in fourth, passed Busch for the lead on Lap 29. On Lap 59, two cars in front of Grill spun and Grill ran into the back of one of them, but didn’t do much damage.

He gave up the lead on Lap 96 when he came into the pits for fresh tires. Casey Smith, who had pitted earlier, took the point for 67 laps. Grill, however, restarted in 26th and was hit by Justin Drawdy as he was trying to work his way to the front. The damage slowed him down considerably and he parked the car shortly after that.

Mercer took over the lead on Lap 163 when Smith and other leaders went into the pits for fresh tires. Eighteen laps later, Mercer became the all-time Snowball Derby lap later, passing Bobby Gill, who has 694. Mercer now has led 744 laps.

The frustration continued for Smith, who began to back up shortly after pitting for fresh tires. His pit crew put the right-side tires on the left side and he later suffered damage to his car.

Busch passed Mercer for the lead on Lap 208. Mercer, who later pitted, worked his way back to the front and regained the lead on Lap 246 when Busch and the other leaders pitted for their final set of tires. Mercer held it through three more cautions but Busch cleared some lap cars and went low in Turn 1 to take the lead for good on Lap 276.

Casey had a very fast car - I wish he could of been there at the end to race with Kyle. We flew a pit team in from Charlotte so Casey would have fast accurate stops with no mistakes. They were incredible fast -- but the tire hanger on the rear picked up the left rear and hung it on the right rear - Casey took the green and immediately knew they had switched tires - He came around twice for them to jack the rear and switch them - so that put him at the end of the lead lap line - Stremme spun on his on and collected Casey - he suffered heavy heavy damage but faught to 9th before a flat from the fender rub on the the right front - 6 to go he parked it. As Freddie Query said to him after the race " I have walked away many times from this race feeling I had the car to beat but didn't get the win" Glen and I are very proud of all his hard work and there is always next year.

His Mom

Casey's mom,

You deserve to be very proud of Casey! He did an awesome job, and it's very unfortunate that he had problems late in the race. But he can put it on his resume that he passed Kyle Busch (and some of the top drivers in the nation), and there are only a handful of short-track drivers who can make that statement.

I have some great pictures of Casey and other drivers - on an off the track - that I'll be posting on a picture website later today.

On a side note, I truly appreciate how Casey would drop everything to talk to me and take pictures - a class act!

Everybody can say what they want to about Kyle but no one gave him the win @ the Snowball Derby. Sure his car was fast all weekend but there where some pretty fast cars and some big name drivers that did not even make the show. Kyle used pit strategy and the right calls to pit at the right time to be there at the end.

I thought drivers like Eddie Mercer, Casey Smith, Augie Grill, and even Brian Ickler did an outstanding job in the derby and at times did not seem to care that it was NASCAR star Kyle Busch racing in the 51, it was just another driver that they had to beat to win the Snowball.

I know that some people are mad that a "cup star" won the snowball race but many a cup star has done that over the years. KB Motorsports brought 3 super late models down there and at least 1 pro LM car that I saw, and this is not including the backup cars. Kyle may have won the race but he was there all weekend and supported the event with more than one car.

Kyle said in his victory lane interview that this is one of those races that he wanted to win real bad. When asked about defending his newly won snowball title he said that although he had a great time that he hoped he never missed the chase again in his career and that the cup banquet would keep him from competing in the snowball event. The one thing that I will take away from Kyle's win is how many of the big name cup drivers leave the bright lights and star power of a cup race an remember where they came from by racing in a super late model race. Not including the prelude to the dream. That doesn't count, because there's tv cameras, and pay per view.

I had great seats. Listened to Casey on the scanner and felt horrible for him. I liked it when they took the green about 10 laps later Casey's spotter came on and said Busch spotter is over here and wants to know if Casey wanted to lead to set the pace and Casey told his spotter he was good he would follow him to save his tires, so they got Augie to jump out there - Seems Busch and Casey were working well together because after the race I saw Busch crew chief talking to Casey too, Bobby the dude I was with told me that they are Robert Hamke's "boys" and he is sure they know each other pretty well

Thanks Deb for keeping the Lone Star board posted on our Texas Drivers. It was very cold and you are a real trooper to do what you do - Thanks to all the Texas fans for your support and Congradulations - Mark - for winning the modified race.

Last of all, Casey,Glen and I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year. For many of us, this has been a very trying year. We need to keep the leadership and direction of our country and world in our prayers. The direction I see our country going is very troubling to myself and many others.

Hope your year has gone well, I know our family has been extremely blessed this year.

The Smith's

Archived