Sunday's Snowball Derby Coverage

debwill

Well, it's the last day of the Snowball Derby, and I'm all set up again in the Tech Shed. It's 45 with a little bit of wind and sunny. YES!!! It's supposed to be in the lower 50s around race time, so it looks like the weather will be good to us on the last day of the Derby.

I hope to provide similar coverage to yesterday's Snowflake race - with my focus on the Texas drivers. If you want to follow the complete race coverage of the entire field of the Snowball Derby, you can follow the live blog at Speed51.com.

I'm headed out to get some more pictures of the Texas drivers who will be competing in the Snowball Derby. The teams are going through tech now, and the track is quiet until the Derby starts at 2P.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Casey Smith and his crew are getting ready to go through tech, and I spoke with him about the Snowball Derby. Here are some of his pre-race thoughts:

"I've had a really good car in practice, and I qualified better than I had expected. I just want to stay out of trouble - haven't been able to do that in the last two years. I want to be there at the end!"

Casey will start in a great position - on the inside of Row 3 (5th).

Casey and his crew waiting to go through tech (Casey on the left):

post-29-1260122772.jpg

I'm trying to find the starting lineup for the Snowball Derby. I have a paper copy, but nothing to cut and paste. Here are the starting positions for the Texas drivers:

5. 99 Casey Smith (Row 3 inside)

16. 49 Stephan McCurley (Row 8 outside)

33. 33 Ryan Lawler (Row 17 inside)

Caution out on Lap 30. Grill took the lead, followed by Busch and Smith. McCurley down a couple (or more) laps. Lawler did not get lapped, and he's at the back of the lead lap, in 29th, I think.

Casey Smith was involved in an incident on Lap 59 (probably slow traffic). Caution out. Lawler was lapped prior to the caution. McCurley is still down at least two laps. Smith pitted, but no big damages on the car.

Archived