TIDA Entries 1993

blueoval

If I remember Neil, was that race won by Howard Wills in #23?

You remember correctly, Rodney.

March 20, 1993 was the date.

howard was running a old dirt late model he converted to asphalt.

Not the first time that has happened.

Local TSRS racer, Bobby Teer, runs that series pretty good in a car that was raced on the dirt at Big H in Houston. His chassis is over 20 years old.

You remember correctly, Rodney.

March 23, 1993 was the date.

Not the first time that has happened.

Local TSRS racer, Bobby Teer, runs that series pretty good in a car that was raced on the dirt at Big H in Houston. His chassis is over 20 years old.

and that was also only howards 3rd time racing on asphalt, i believe he ran one other race before that at tws and then at san antonio. i wish we could have been at the one he won but we figured it would have been rained out since it was raining half the way there that day so we came back home. we went to the other 2 races. i have some pictures of the car he drove. my dad painted his car for him and helped him some back in the big h days.

• 1 month later...
i wish we could have been at the one he won but we figured it would have been rained out since it was raining half the way there that day so we came back home.

I dont remember when I went there that it didnt rain.

• 2 weeks later...
Havent seen "LUMINA" in a long time. Great photo. If you got more then please post them. Can you tell us anything more on this car? And Howard? Thanks

Howard is still racing, running modifieds and limiteds, usually both on the same night, primarily around the Houston area. He is one of the top five (or so) locals, and does well when the national series' come to town. Last year he had a habit of running the feature at Houston Raceway Park, then driving fifteen miles west to Battleground and starting at the back of their feature, usually finishing up front (if not winning) at both tracks in both classes.

He is also the southern dealer for the Evolution modified chassis, and has a shock calibration business as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I WAS THERE . ON THE FRONT STRAIGHT WAY IT LOOK LIKE THE OTHER RACES HAD A LITTLE MORE MOTOR , BUT HE WOULD GET THEM IN THE " S " (road course) DIRT TRACK STYLE . I'VE SEEN HIM WIN 4 IN A ROW IN ONE WEEKEND , BEAUMONT ON FRI. , BOTH MOD. & LIMT. AND GOTO ONE OF THE HOUSTON TRACK'S ON SAT. AND DO IT AGIAN . MORE THE ONCE . HE HAS ALSO WON IN 3 DIFF. CLASS IN ONE NIGHT , MOD. - LIMT. - LATE MOL.

YES ... The Texas Race of Champions (TROC) at Texas World Speedway (TWS) is fondly remembered by a good many racing folks in and around the southwest.

I consider the TIDA-LM Series in the TROC to have been among my fondest accomplishments and memories in my 50 years of driving and organizing automobile racing on oval tracks and road racing circuits.

Southwest area racing may never again see the likes of The Texas Race of Champions.

Thanks to all those helped me in those 25 races at TWS.

Neil Upchurch

Founder & President

Texas International Drivers Association (TIDA)

Race Director - Texas Race of Champions at TWS

Rodney: I doubt seriously if the Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway will ever happen again. If it does, I will surely recommend you to be one of the PA Announcers because I'll be busy running the show as Race Director.

The reasons I predict it won't happen again:

1. Did you notice the size of that purse in 1993? That my friend is a long lost picture of professional racing which has become lacking in Texas since then.

2. Did you notice the size of the field in 1993? That also is a long lost health aspect of Late Model pro racing which has become lacking in Texas during the past several years.

3. The cost of racing to car owners has escalated dramatically. That fact alone would be a major negative reason.

4. TWS has changed their operating and business design from professional racing to a track rental, "playground" format which doesn't equal professional racing.

5. Texas Motor Speedway dominates the spectator market and money draw in the southwest. Said another way, there isn't room in the market-place for a profitable Texas Race of Champions type event.

6. The Texas International Drivers Association, TIDA-Late Model Series ceased operations in 1998 after 134 races and no longer operates or sanctions races like the Texas Race of Champions. To hold a race like the TROC was, an efficiently operating race organization is essential.

Those are only six reasons why I regrettably predict - the TROC won't happen again.

Neil Upchurch

Founder & President

Former Race Director - Texas Race of Champions at TWS

YES ... The Texas Race of Champions (TROC) at Texas World Speedway (TWS) is fondly remembered by a good many racing folks in and around the southwest

Of all the tracks and races I have been to over the past few decades, without question the TROC events were the absolute funnest weekends I have ever experienced.

But you have to remember that the racing was just one part of it. When you add all the other things going on, it really became much more than a race weekend; rather, it was an experience.

BBQ for everyone thanks to H.B Bailey, wet t shirt contests (I just razzed Bobby Caulfield the other day about his first wife winning one of these), music, getting thrown out the the go carts in Bryan due to our driving, playing pool and video games with none other than Davey Allison, soaping fountains, engine rebuilds in the Aggieland Hotel (if your name wasn't on the "not allowed' list, and there were several racers on this list), and just the general fun you could have in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

Now, I realize that Neil Upchurch didn't really sanction SOME of the events and happenings. Today, I imagine he might have preferred some of it not happen. But it did, it is part of the history of the TROC weekends, and I personally would not change much of my personal experience of those weekends.

Neil is very correct on why TROC would a tough one to revive. To add to that, in today's racing, and the modern era of political correctness, I don't think we could recreate a weekend that came close to the happening that TROC was.

So, I salute and thank Neil and his staff for the memories I have of TWS and TROC. With apologies to the tracks and promoters, no race event I have been a part of has come close to topping a TROC weekend.

TxTom very correctly wrote, "Now, I realize that Neil Upchurch didn't really sanction SOME of the events and happenings." Tom, you are very correct. I didn't have anything to do with the Saturday night, Barbeque Cook-off, the Wet T Shirt Contest, Concert, Dance and the other "happenings". When all you folks were engaging in those "extra-curricular activities", I was back at the Race Headquarters Motel in College Station meeting with primary staff members and fine tuning the Sunday race event known as the Texas Race of Champions.

And - Tom also opined "Neil is very correct on why TROC would a tough one to revive. To add to that, in today's racing, and the modern era of political correctness, I don't think we could recreate a weekend that came close to the happening that TROC was". Amen Tom, you got that 100% right.

And - TxTom summarized by saying "So, I salute and thank Neil and his staff for the memories I have of TWS and TROC. With apologies to the tracks and promoters, no race event I have been a part of has come close to topping a TROC weekend." txtom - Speaking in behalf of the former TROC race staff which numbered about 50 dedicated folks, your statement is very much appreciated.

Question: Who wrote, "we shall not travel that road again"? - A very fitting line.

Thank you,

Neil Upchurch

Founder & President

Former Race Director - Texas Race of Champions at TWS

Is that the race where the airplane landed on the back straight away?

i think it is kathy ..did you see him landing that plane ...i looked up and saw him coming dead stick ...didnt clear the turn two wall by much .... said he got off course and ran out of fuel .and muddy parking lot would not have been a good place to put her down ..remember that lot was soft ....... nice take off down the back strieght .......

Landing plnanes at TWS happened on at least two occasions. The one ya''ll mentioned, Dont' remember the race venue.

I have a pic of the second one sitting on pit road here somewhere, and it was Bobby Allison. I'll try to find to and post it.

Give me some time; I am building a "man cave" out of a bedroom, and all that stuff is boxed up right now.

Here is the pic of Allison's plane on pit road at TWS.

Besides racing, A lot of folks don't know of Bobby's aviation stuff. he took a piston engine aircraft, adapted turbo-prop engines, and got it FAA certified.

Allison owned a lot of planes at various times;This was just one of them.

And he landed at race tracks several times; Not just TWS. Look at this page off his website. You can tell from the backgrounds that these other pics were taken at other tracks besides TWS--Bobby Allison

post-21-1281795531.jpg

Archived