2010 Rules Meeting?

Just wondering when the rules meeting is going to be for 2010. Is there anything that is up in the air about rule changes? Sure would be nice to see weight jacks to be approved in the super stock class? I think it is time to change to rules up a bit! I think more cars would come back, me being one of them!

Just wondering when the rules meeting is going to be for 2010. Is there anything that is up in the air about rule changes? Sure would be nice to see weight jacks to be approved in the super stock class? I think it is time to change to rules up a bit! I think more cars would come back, me being one of them!

My .02 - keep the rules changes to a minimum. Weight jacks, for example, may be a convenience thing, but not really necessary. When you introduce those, you usually end up having to look at tubular upper control arms, relocated shocks, etc etc etc.

I would like to see an allowance for the camaros to be able to run the next generation bodies - late 80s, early 90s - only factory steel bodies, but at least there would be more available parts, and the class would receive a badly needed updated look to the fans.

Yeah Chase, I bought a legal sas sportsman car and jack would not allow me to run it because the body did not match the chassis! It is a stock steel body! It does not say anything in the rules that the body has to match the chassis! Would like to come back to THR but cant because of weird rules! We put weight jacks on the car so we can run on dirt. Oh well, I guess it doesnt really matter! It is what it is!

Yeah Chase, I bought a legal sas sportsman car and jack would not allow me to run it because the body did not match the chassis! It is a stock steel body! It does not say anything in the rules that the body has to match the chassis! Would like to come back to THR but cant because of weird rules! We put weight jacks on the car so we can run on dirt. Oh well, I guess it doesnt really matter! It is what it is!

I'm not saying it doesnt' matter - you're opinion Matt is just as valuable is anyone else's. I just think that we need to be real careful to avoid letting the SS rules get out of hand. They have a good car count for a reason, and the competition is about as close as anyone could ask for.

If you allow weight jacks you will open the door for someone that is running dirt now that wants to try asphalt but can't afford to build a new car. like you said chase weight jacks don't make you faster and if you have your car dialed in then weight jacks wouldn't do you any good. just decause the rules say you can doesn't mean you have too. it seems that matt is thinking the way I did when I had my camaro and thought about running at THR but my car had weight jacks. I believe it is one rule change that would bring in more car to the track and doesn't cost much to change. All the people that has been up front will still be there because yalls car are setup and ready to go. just my thoughts

Honestly though. I cant see why people are always wanting to change things? (Im not saying anything bad about what Matt is suggesting either) Im just saying.... If it aint broke, don't fix it. Alot of work gets created for no reason sometimes when "big" changes are wanted. Are we really going to gain that many cars if you place weight jacks in them? You still have the tire issue for the dirt guys wanting to come run, thats $500 for them right there. Not to mention attracting dirt guys over to asphalt is a hard thing to do and Im not sure any class of cars on the asphalt has been very successful at it? Except for Dwarfs who can run both. Either way, for people who do not live and breath racing 100% of the time it becomes a hassle and although we may not be tied up in a points battle or at the track every weekend its still something some of us like to do part time. Im just stating my opinion, thats all. I somewhat like the idea of after market bodies being allowed although I think the classes image is still a "street" stock and they are 70s model camaro's...always will be. On the other hand, I know for a fact Im one of the very few still running stock fenders because they are so hard to come by. Most run aftermarket fenders and door skins already. Lets not kill this class of cars off by making them something their not. This class has already gotten away from its roots as Street stocks and theres no since in letting it get any further when we have the car count that there is.

Again, I know this is coming from someone who only ran 5 races this year but Ive been around that track and one of these cars since I was 9 so Im gunna have a opinion. I want nothing but the best for the track but at the same time, its me doing most of the work on my car and money spent on it. So keeping the cost and changes down is always a plus. I think that goes for anyone.

I'm not only speaking about the Super stock class here, this is for all classes. But SS is a great expample so I'll use it. I've seen the street stock cars become late models 3 times I think in the 20 years I've been around racing here. At longhorn they went to super stocks, then aftermarket bodies were allowed and many more items. Next thing you know is no one can afford to run them and the class dies. Then the current street stock steps up into the super stock name "title". Now it happened at THR when most Late model cars went to TSRS. The current SS class is what I ran in Street stock about 8-10 years ago. Now some want to add weight jacks, that comes with uppers and shocks. Then someone will ask for a new updated steel body that will cause the next guy running a nova chassis to step up and say, Well I cant get an updated body like the camaro so I want an aftermarket body. One rule change ALWAYS leads to more. If there isnt a limit to the rules and they arent kept in place, the currrent SS class will be a late model class in no time. Then a lot of drivers complain about the cost and quit because they cant keep up. The cycle starts all over. A lower class will now step up to fill the SS class. And I know the opinions on the afford to race deal. Most drivers dont want to move down classes. I think it must feel degrading or something. Just hardley happens. So you lose drivers and lose car counts. If you want the fast stuff and go faster, then move up. Dont make 30 other guys move up with you. Also you cant say that you dont have to do it if you dont want to. That there is no advantage to the weight jacks. There is a big advantage. You have now added quick adjustability and shocks that are not stock mount and are really tunable. You'll see the big money guys spending thousands on a shock package and the little guy wont be able to keep up. You just increased the cost of racing. I'll be there with several other people to try and make sure this doesnt happen to the sportmods. I run both dirt and asphalt and want to keep it that way. If I want to go faster I'll move up to pro modified or modified on dirt.

good points but you can have weight jacks without tubular upper control arms. I know I ran weight jacks with factory upper control arms. and on the shock point thats easy state in the rules what shock can be ran. like pro welded bearing shock cost the same as the factory style shocks. you stated that you want the rules in sports mod to stay the same so you can still run both dirt and asphalt. that is what we are discussing here is adding one or two rules to allow the person that is running dirt to run asphalt as well. most all dirt street stock classes run weight jacks. a rule change will like this will allow for more car and no track can have too many cars in any class.

I agree 100% with LM-RACER-20 every small rule change winds up costing a lot of extra money in the long run because if you dont use the rules to the full extent then you wont be as competive as the persons using them. Weight jacks are not just a small change to alllow and not use, just like aftermarket bodies.

I agree 100% with what Johnny is saying. About the body idea - just for clarification - I was talking about a stock body, just one that is one generation newer than the antiques we are currently running. Finding a second generation body these days is pretty tough.

Thanks guys for agreeing. FINALLY LOL. I didnt upset people. LOL I know you meant steel bodies. But you know they dont make un apdated nova body. So those guys will gripe more than likely.

And they run Leafs on the rear " Dont you guys ??" so no weight jacks there either.

As for the sportmod. You need to remember. This class was brought to THR from the dirt series. So the rules should match existing rules for the IMCA. This isnt the same as changing the rules today that have been in place for years to accomadate a dirt class anywhere. It could be asked that the dirt guys conform to our rules too. But thats not likely either. See the point?

i can only speak about the sport-mods, as i don't know enough about the other classes, but ur right johnny. i've had this discussion with some sport-mod drivers, and that is a fear: that the rules will change enough that we don't have true sport-mods anymore. like you said...classes change so quickly with all this...and, the limited class is a lot of bang for your buck. they are fun and economical (especially the way the economy is now) and if things go changing, we will see a lot of drivers hanging them up. as you said...if they wanna spend that kinda money to keep up with changes, may as well move up to a bigger modified...and a lot of drivers don't want that expense...hence the sport-mod class.

i really hope things don't get changed like that...i'd LOVE to see this class grow on the asphalt, and i will do all i can to help that happen. i hope like crazy that we have these cars at thr next season, with a larger car count!! :rolleyes:

Well HMP just posted their 2010 schedule. They dumped the sportmod class. Not enough cars. I already posted on their topic why they didnt have cars.

TOO many rule changes. They wernt running sportmod rules.

Here is some.

Allowed to run 3 different motor packages and each came with different rules. Not a good idea.

Crate motor, which in itself is bad.

If I went to run with my sportmod motor I had to add weight to the front of the car. But this is called a sportmod class and I still get pentalized. WHAT?????

No tubular upper control arms but they are IMCA sportmod legal. We would have to change ours.

Have to run a 6200 rpm chip. which means I have to change the tranny and rear gear so my car would run peek power at that rpm. Not going to happen.

Can only run 2" offset wheels all the way around. I'm not going to buy more wheels and keep changing tires around. There was no need for this rule at all. If it's to control left side weight then make a left side % rule.

There are some others but I cant think of them right now. They called it a sportmod class, but made it a seperate type of car completely and it killed it. Rusty and I wanted to run down there last year instead of the dirt racing. We saw the rules and laughed. So we went dirt racing. They lost 2 cars just in ours. No telling how many other people wanted to run there that couldnt because of the rules.

This is a perfect example of what rule changes can do for a class. Keep it simple and all will be good.

• 1 month later...

We had our Drivers' Meeting earlier today. The SportMod rules will mirror the IMCA Southern SportMod rules, with the exception of mufflers, tires and fuel. We hope to have the final rules ready for posting and distribution by next Wednesday.

We're glad that you had a good time at THR, and we hope you'll race again with us in 2010!

Archived