Interesting article

44SS

100 % the truth. You think thats a good show two cars on the lead lap?? come on were a short track series, I understand there doing this for publicity and that is good for the series. But until they can police the rules better to where a guy doesnt have to go out and buy a motor for just this race or a car for just this race it will be the same thing every year. They want the cars to be kept as close to the short track rules as possible. funny how your top 8 or 9 are about a 2 seconds faster than the rest of the field. You can run atleast two romco short track races for what its ganna cost you to run one super speedway race. Maybe they will rethink and come up with something to keep the cars closer in times or do something to where its not a $$$ race. -Colt

OUCH!! I guess Bob Dilner does not remember when NASCAR races were won with one car on the lead lap and the second place car was many laps down.This is the 4th superspeedway race ROMCO has attemped right? Give'em a break Bob!Or maybe he dosent like Texas Racers?

As far as making the race closer.....it’s not going to happen. First you can't count cars that the owners don't bother to convert over for the TMS race and only show up for points or experience. They are slow and will continue to be slow. In addition those that do the research (going to the library, watch TV, ask questions, etc.) are going to be faster. A lot of comments have been made on here about how much more money you have to have to race TMS. I disagree. It can cost you more if you choose, or it can cost you less if you choose. The problem is many people don't know what they are doing. They spend money on parts and equipment that do them no good at TMS. It's all about the details before you get to TMS. Also a lot of racers are accustomed to showing p to a race, getting to practice (6-8 hours) and racing. If you don't jump on the bandwagon and rent the track with a group of racers (basic math, its cheaper), again you will be slow. To get back to the series being cheaper, let’s remember that most of the racers in ROMCO either have a sponsor (i.e. car owner), joint ownership, or own their own company. Cash is king in a top series like ROMCO, and that’s what makes it a top series. If it wasn't the cars wouldn’t be as fast, nimble, tricked out, and as fun to watch. So possibly the only way for ROMCO to get the field closer is for the racers to make sure that they are fast before they get there. To prove my point, there has never been a winner in the three TMS races that hasn't tested before the race.

You make some good points but the one point that is made with your facts is that it does cost more to run that race than a normal short track race. look at the side of my car there is nothing on it. I rely on my parents who do not own their own company or make 100k a year. The people in the back of the pack cant help it if they are not fast. you just cant come in and say the cars alittle tight I think thats where im losing the 2 seconds im off. You need alot of HP there good body dynamics and so on. Im not ganna go out and order new body parts or change my motor over for just one race that pays the same as every other race on the schedule. Same pay but cost twice as much to run doesnt make sense to me. -Colt

That's to bad Colt I really like to watch you race. I think that ROMCO running the speedway is what sets it off from the southern all stars and kinda of puts it on the same ground as ALL-PRO. It's a shame that you can't find sponsorship but you have an advantage that most racers don't and that is contacts within yates shop.

If ROMCO is going to continue to run TMS, and teams that have speedway cars and motors are going to be allowed to run them, then the outcome is never going to change. Everyone on TSZ has ideas and you all that have posted in this thread have pointed out some valid points on both sides. Lets look at this realistically, those who have the money are going to spend it, ie straight up speedway body cars and speedway dyno tested motors, and yes it takes money to run ROMCO, and for a short track series I am all for the rules the way they are. We won 3 races last year and are one of the lowest funded teams, but it took research, testing, talking to people, asking questions, a lot of late nights, and a whole lot of other stuff. The point is we EWR is one of the top teams in ROMCO, we dont have a lot of money, but we have the know how and the determination it takes to win, and yes we dont run the TMS races, why, because we dont have a straight up body car sitting on the side with a speedway motor in it. Hell Eddy's only burn out came after his first win in the series, because we cant afford to abuse the equipment. But any way lets look at some possible rules that would be inexpensive to impliment for future TMS races; straight up bodies carry a weight penelty, or have a smaller restrictor plate, 2nd run a taller spoiler, 3rd no tape on the nose except during qualifying, basically creat more drag do some restrictor plate changes and put the driver back into it. Also the testing, before it has been during the week, Im sure ROMCO could schedule an off weakend with TMS so that more teams could test without taking off from work thus costing more money. The legenend is right, TMS does set ROMCO apart from the other short track series, and is great for Texas racing, but lets not make a joke of it. I would love to run TMS, but doing so now, its not competetive. I think if we all put our heads together we can come up with a solution. These views are my own they may or may not reflect the views of EWR.

Dito to what colt and 44ss said. The thing that I heard this weekend that bothered me was "Man those Romco cars are slow". I tried to explain the restrictor plate thing but it did not help.

I think last year's race was more exciting, there were more cars on the lead lap or at least more group of cars making it a race. What happened this year? I usually attend all ROMCO races and something needs to be done here so it can be a good show.

At least it was more exciting than seeing just one driver in the IROC race attempting to pass. The whole crowd was having more fun doing the wave every time Kurt Busch passed.

The race last year had 3 or four evenly spaced yellows, that helped bunch the cars back up.

This year the whole race ran green. It sounds kinda silly but maybe we need a "sometimes hated" Competition Yellow or a "Debris Caution" after 25 or so green flag laps at TMS.

Kris Frost.

can't be a road course event because of the campers, if so it won't be at the nascar cup event... I would have to say as a bench racer there, They were slow looking as well as a sleeper event, but to be honest nextel was a sleeper as well till the end. Racing is racing, some great some not, I think they should police the engines more to keep the feild together more, the series should not let them buy busch motors as i was told a few did. It's all about money those who have it win those who don't finish laps down......thats where rules come in.....

This is a quote from the article mentioned earlier in this thread:

"Second place, it sucks. We were good, but Richardson has way more motor than we did,” said Davidson, the former ROMCO champ. “Every time we got to lapped traffic we could catch him, but as soon as we would clear them he would drive away like I was standing still. "I don’t know, you got to wonder.“I’m not going to say anything because I’m not sure,” continued Davidson as he pondered whether or not Richardson’s powerplant was legal"

Just what is Mr. Davidson insinuating? Mr. Richardson beat him, so, he must not be legal?

Sour grapes, or what?

Just what is Mr. Davidson insinuating? Mr. Richardson beat him, so, he must not be leagal?

Of Course!!!

It is common knowledge that if they outrun you they are cheatin. LOL J/K

Every one wants to know how to go fast.......heres how. First get you a car and crew from NC and a 45,000 leaker motor. Yes, that's right Robert Richardson had a leaker motor at TMS. The ROMCO officials were going to make him remove a cylinder head in tech but, the Richardson crew argued with the ROMCO officials. ROMCO gave in and did not make them remove a cylinder head. Why did ROMCO let the Richardson crew dictate what was going to be checked in tech? If you were there you would have seen the sweat pooling up at the Richardson area. Knowing that if they had to remove a cylinder head, the leaker intake would surely be exposed when it was removed. In addition after they talked ROMCO into not removing any of those parts at all. The ROMCO tech that had the tool in their hand and didn't even make an attempt to check the motor for being a leaker. He just stood there. ( I'm assuming he was doing as told.) This is only supported even further by ROMCO choosing not to give the "Fastest Lap Ran" on ROMCO's own website. This is in part because ROMCO doesn't want to anyone to see how fast Richardson was running compared to his qual / practice times Thursday. I'm sure it was about a 3 - 4 second gain in which no one could achieve without cheating. I'm sure that ROMCO will reply with something but I am tired of the excuses and it just won't work this time.

Geez, I was able to write a fairly exciting recap of the same race. I could tell you what I thought about Dill--uh--ner and the rest of the FOX egotist crew, but Nick would just have to delete it. I may not be the most well-known writer, but sheesh, give a guy a break! Guess they can't remember back when they were nobodies!

Reb, I agree. Your recap made me want to finish reading your article. Even if it was a "yawner", and I knew the results, I read your recap several times over. Dilner seemed like all he wanted to do is get his story across without giving the least amount of credit to ROMCO or its drivers. He even commented about the race in the same condescending attitude with Texas stereotypes that are far from true. I've often wondered if other people see www.speed51.com the same way I do. I see them as having a very narrow point of view and only putting effort in the drivers listed on the home page and the series that they run. I believe that the drivers listed pay speed51.com to have their names there, but maybe not. Anyways, thats my opinion on speed51.

I would agree with Reb and Legend...there's different ways to write a story or race recap, and if I did, I would have talked about some positives for some drivers, even though the race went like it did..

However, I think it's good to see how other writers write their recap...first, you get a different perspective - even if you don't agree with it...as a freelance writer for the Austin American-statesman and former sports editor for 3 community newspapers, I always like to get a different perspective on the same story that I covered - if for no other reason than the fact I might learn something new, or maybe another writer saw/caught something that I missed..

I'd like to hear Nick's take on this, considering he's got substantial newspaper writing/editing experience as well..

I think the guy basically told it the way he saw it. That's what good reporters are supposed to do. He could have softened his criticism a notch or two, but that's just his style I guess

Nick Holt

When did richardson run 3 seconds faster than what he qualified at???

I agreee he was fast but......3 seconds thats a big difference

leaker motor???? what???

yall think that chris didn't have a good motor and good car too??? they both had really good cars and im sure next time they will be even faster, and alot of other people will be faster their next time too.

In my opinon not sure about what speed romco wants us at but lets say a 37.00 is what they are lookin for, when we go to practice next time if someone is faster they should add a deflector on their car (maybe little more spoiler or on teh side of the front fenders like trucks) thats how we can make it closer racing, thats what would get ROMCO pablicity... then dilner can write an article about how it was a completly different series "there was side by side racing" and the word will be spread, more cars would come and the series would be talked about. just my opinon (I DUNNO)

That car richardson was driving was a speedway way car for allpro, its built for big tracks (one of the best body their ) and he has a good motor how would you think hes not going to go fast.

and the race that was borring was the IROC race, no passing, just single file the entire time... atleast in teh romco race there was passing all the time..

Maybe Dillner still has head firmly planted in ASA Racing, so he can't see the forrest for the trees, or instead of getting out and ACTUALLY watching the race, he sat in the Press Room watching the closed circuit TV coverage.

He Chuckie, if you like a "different" view on racing stories, you should read some of my early stuff!!!! :LMAO Didn't get the nickname Rebel for nothing!!

Archived