Dale Jr spins on purpose

Jason

NASCAR has proven once again who its golden boy is. If this had been any other driver it would be a penalty. But nope its Jr. Sickening.

Earnhardt Jr., like a lot of others,

has his own spin on things

By JIM UTTER

ThatsRacin.com Writer

BRISTOL, Tenn. - It was typical Bristol, but with a few new twists.

Sunday's Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway caused its share of hot tempers, fiery words and involuntary trips to the NASCAR hauler.

The highlights this time:

Dale Earnhardt Jr. admitted repeatedly after Sunday's race he spun out on purpose on Lap 431 of 500 to prevent from having to pit under green and lose one or more laps.

"I had a loose wheel and I didn't have any choice but to spin the car out to get a caution. So I went down in the corner, had some clear room behind me, and I just spun it out," Earnhardt Jr. said after the race.

"The caution came out, I put the clutch in and got going. What the hell else was I supposed to do? Go a lap down? Go two laps down?"

Earnhardt Jr. also engaged in a profanity-laced exchange with his crew over his radio regarding NASCAR's decision to extend cautions late in the race to blow debris from the track. That earned Earnhardt Jr. a trip to the NASCAR hauler.

His admission of intentionally causing a caution - an act which has been penalized previously by NASCAR - did not seem to raise the ire of series director John Darby.

" 'I spun a car out' - that's a great excuse for spinning a car out, but proving that is another story," Darby said. "To brag about it is not enough for me to make a move on it."

That's a great move, he did not take anyone out or cause anyone to loose any spots. I think Jeff Gordon benfited from this with that lucky dog pass.

Would this be a similar situation, like when a car spins and waits in the way without moving till the yellow drops. I see guys do it all the time and I don't understand the one's who get back on the gas, which prevents a yellow from coming out and then get a lap down, because the whole train runs him down.

A spin is different than a car tagging the wall

but I guess some people will look at anything Jr does and say it is Nascar giving him everything

which begs the question, since Nascar gives him everything, how come they haven't given him a Cup championship yet ?

3 weeks in a row there has been that "Earnhardt caution". Enough said. NASCAR's failure to take actions on this issue clearly display a bias on their part.

You putting Earnhardt down makes you bias to other drivers. I think that he had to make a desion to keep himself in the race, and he didn't hurt anyone else in the process, to me it was a good desion.

Come on, gang...

This statement is not meant to be demeaning...please don't take it that way..And to Junior fans, I ask that you not get upset, these are just the facts..

If you REALLY don't think that NASCAR does things to help Junior, then you're truly ignorant of what's going on...the points changes....the yellow caution flags for "phantom" debris on the track...I know of one instance where Junior brought his car in for inspection, and the NASCAR tech men didn't even run the template test on Junior's car, they just snickered among themselves and moved on to the next car--that is first-hand information from an official who was standing right there!

You don't have to believe me..talk to ANYONE in NASCAR that can give you an objective opinion...If you want to investigate this further, I'd advise you to go to www.jayski.com and check out all the columns by media from across the country...But believe me, when I go to events like TMS and Daytona and Media Day at TMS, there is an "understanding" that Junior is always going to get the "preferred" calls and he's always going to get some "help" from NASCAR...

This is funny. This is just what jason wanted a bunch of people to get on here arguing. There is more whining and crying on this site than any site i have been to. Not just this earnhardt thing Nick had somebody crying to him just the other day and THR gets more [word edited out by Nick Holt, 3/30/04] than any race track in Texas. Im sure Nick is going to catch hell every week about some call made at the race.

I guess thats why JR wins every week! Maybe that's why he finished so good at Las Vegas. Face the facts, he's the most popular driver and with that also makes him the most hated by his non fans (Jason). Think about it, if a media guy can watch his car being inspected don't you think Hendrick, Yates or Roush are watching. If it's that obvious someone would have spoke up and put NASCAR on the spot. My biased .02 because I am a JR fan.

Think about it, if a media guy can watch his car being inspected don't you think Hendrick, Yates or Roush are watching. If it's that obvious someone would have spoke up and put NASCAR on the spot.

Racer 26,

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but I'm sure that if I came into your world and tried to understand the politics of your job, I'd be lost and wouldn't have a clue..

Your thoughts on your post - on the surface - definitely make sense...however, I just ask that you understand there are things that go on "behind closed doors," and those are the politics of what I'm talking about..

Also..you mis-read my post. I didn't say my "friend" was a media person...read it again, and you'll see who I'm talking about..

Racegirl15...you are entitled to your own opinion about the media...realize, though, not all of us are the Jim Gray or Howard Stern types..

Geez people give it a rest. He spun out on purpose he admitted it, he got away with it. If you people would of been paying attention to the conversation after it happened they talked about how his dad had done that before. Hey I'll admit when I raced 1/4 midgets I used to purposely stall the car to get a restart of the race. Here's the question for all you bench racers and racers if you were in the situatio he was in had a car that could win and were getting close to goin a lap down and the only way to keep from goin a lap down was to cause a caution what would you do? All this mention about him spinning what about how Jr. and Eury got into trouble for verbally bashing nascar for their track cleaning procedures. Thats my .02

Chuck,

My problem is the assumption of what is going on "behind closed doors". If that's whats going on then how is it so well known. "Rumors" are the main problem with all levels of racing. Leave the man alone and let him drive. Looks like he will carry on his dads legacy of being loved or hated but no middle.

lol I seen Jr pass under yellow line at a plate track and not get penalized. Every race he gets his own mysterious debris caution. Why don't they show the debris on camera? Now he brings it out on purpse, brags about it, and does not receive a penalty. I am beginning to see a trend. Today I was talking to a guy in a Chemistry lab I have and he was wearing a Jr hat. I asked him if he'd ever seen ROMCO run and he said yea, I saw them run when I was a little kid at Darlington. Oh yeah hes going to the NASCAR race this weekend. We can see that sea of red but are they really that knowledgable about what is really happening? Some are. Most aren't. Here is a great article to read by a respected journalist who knows what he is talking about. http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/8305693.htm NASCAR isn't racing anymore. Its a show. And as far as spinning out on purpose. This is NASCAR. Its not quarter midgets. Its not bombers. This is NASCAR. Everyone is watching. Stuff like this should not be tolerated. Garanteed if ANY other driver had tried this stunt they would have been penalized. And you can't say he didnt put anyone at risk because he had people behind him still.

Archived