won't idle

jumbo

Heres the deal. 93 caddy was running fine until I did a little cleaning after replacing a leaky oil cooler line. Since washing the engine it just won't idle. You can lay your foot on the throttle just enough to crack the butterfly and its just fine.I've let it run plenty enough to be dry and given it several days for any moisture to evaporate. Anyone have any ideas?

could have a vacuum leak, might have knocked one loose during cleaning or one just finally cracked, best way to detect is with motor running, spray starting fluid around all vac hose and connetions, if one is leaking, when it sucks in starting fluid, engine rpms will increase momenarily. might not be a fix, but its an easy way to find out.

this might sound stupid but cant you just screw in the idle screw a little.

thats never good ......ais motor maybe be sticking ..and throlte body may need a good cleaning ...i cant remember if this year had it .but mass air flow sensor

The problem is more likely the idle speed motor.Washing could have closed it slightly and it is not responding.Aux air intake also could have closed.The idle speed motor is supposed to constantly adjust idle for conditions like in gear,ac on lights etc.The idle should always remain the same.Some cars the idle can be set through the computer with the right analizer.Idle speed motors give a lot of problems.Usually from sticking caused by buildup in the throttle body or burned up motor.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived