SAS as it is today

PAPA

I was thinking about taking a ride down there just to look. I'm so thankful and sad that I managed to get to one race there before it shut down. I arrived at Lackland in December 2006 and made the ASA race. I was excited to have a track only 15 minutes from my house.... :(

But I have some good memories

post-3723-1248838385.jpg

post-3723-1248838481.jpg

I never knew about the place, I got here in October 2006, but I know it means a lot to everyone from this area. With seeing the for sale signs up, is it just too much $$$$ or the city code violations that will keep someone from possibly resurrecting it. In the short time I have been here, I have read a lot about how most feel about the tracks around here and don't want to stir up any trouble. I am just asking.

Where I am from, Auburndale, Fl, we had a track there that was well on its way to being run out. Some people bought the land and have really turned the track around. A friend that drives there says they average 20 modifieds there when they race, once a month. When I was there, they were lucky to pull 6.

Reading several other sites, there seems to be an positive swing for local tracks winning small battles and maybe it is paving the way for some other tracks given the right situation.

What does anyone think?

A lot of similiarities between the two tracks Jim. Being there was just like being at JFMS in the good ole days. It was that "something in the air" feeling. We can surely feel the SAS fans' pain, and appreciate a great racing facility. Granted, SAS was a little faster and improved from JFMS, and 20 years younger. But, it appeared that the racers wanted to compete there at SAS, just like here at JFMS. Yes, 2 very missed speedways.

Archived