Massa to miss Hungarian Grand Prix after crash, surgery positive

Massa to miss Hungarian Grand Prix, surgery positive

Ferrari’s Felipe Massa will not race in Sunday’s Hungarian Grand Prix following his high-speed qualifying crash at the Hungaroring, the team have confirmed. Massa was airlifted to AEK Hospital in Budapest, where he is in a stable condition.

“Felipe was conscious at the arrival at the hospital,” said a Ferrari statement, adding that Massa had suffered a cut on his forehead, concussion and a bone lesion of the skull. Massa underwent surgery to treat these conditions, the outcome of which was positive. He will now remain under observation in intensive care.

The Brazilian speared off the track and into the tyre wall at Turn 4 late in the Q2 session after debris, thought to be a suspension spring from the Brawn car of Rubens Barrichello, struck his helmet.

Medics were quickly in attendance and the start of Q3 was delayed as they extricated the Brazilian. After initial examinations at the medical centre, Massa, eighth fastest in Q2, was transferred to hospital for further checks.

Ferrari are expected to release an update on Massa's condition on Sunday morning

I thought I was the only one on here that watched F1.

It beats most of the other crap on TV nowdays. I pay good money for my SPEED Channel, and in some ways F-1 has gotten to be more interesting than NA$CRAP.

I can't imagine getting whacked in the head by a spring, at ANY speed. I'm guessing it knocked him plumb out before he crashed into the tyre(love that) barrier.

There is very good video of the spring coming off the Brawn car, and then an in-car shot from Massa's car that shows the spring bouncing off the track, and coming at Massa, hittinh him on the upper left side of the helmet. They were able to still-screen the video to the point that you could about count the coils on the spring.

He is lucky to be alive, and the open wheel guys avoided having back to back tragedies in consecutive weekends.

(If you did not hear, F2 driver Henry Surtees, son of 1964 Formula One World Champion John Surtees, was fatally injured last week at Brands Hatch after a crash in front of him caused a wheel/tire/hub assembly to separate and come back across the track. A piece of suspension punctured Surtee's helmeton the front right side at the visor line. His injury was not survivable. )

TxTom will no doubt remember, but the injury to Henry Surtees sounds almost identical to the injury that killed Ayrton Senna. Bird strikes have also been a problem for several open-wheel guys, with at least one suspected of causing the death of a driver back in the 1970s.

I hadn't heard about Surtees, and I feel for the family. John was not only a world driving champion but a mult-time world motorcycle champion and a fan favorite.

This is a game with teeth, and it will occasionally bite you.

TxTom will no doubt remember, but the injury to Henry Surtees sounds almost identical to the injury that killed Ayrton Senna.

I had that very discussion last night in Austin with Eddy Wallace. To add to the death of Senna, On the Saturday preceding Senna's death, Austrian driver Roland Ratzenberger died in a qualifying accident, and Senna protege Rubens Barrichello, whose car lost the spring that struck Massa, was badly injured in a separate accident on Friday. All this, and Senn'a death, on the same weekend at Imola.

Senna spent the last morning of his life talking to his fellow drivers about safety, and to re-start the defunct Grand Prix Drivers' Association, a Safety group designed to increase safety in Formula One. Senna, the senior driver at that time, was asked to spearhead the group.

John was not only a world driving champion but a mult-time world motorcycle champion and a fan favorite.

John Surtees was a multi time World Champion motorcycle racer in 350 CC (1958, 59 & 60) and 500 CC (1956, 58, 59 & 60). He was legendary on the bikes, as he won 39 of the 48 Grand Prix bike races he entered, with 45 podium finishes.

In the cars, he had 6 wins in 111 GP races, with 24 podium finishes, and the 1964 World Championship.

Surtees is the only driver to have won World Championships on both two and four wheels.