Nascar Slow Cars

TTR73

Should Nascar Require Slow Drivers To Go To Busch Series?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should Nascar Require Slow Drivers To Go To Busch Series?

• A. Yes
    • B. No

go to Busch ?? I don't think they (Busch) has a car count problem ?? So, let's make the guys barely making the grand national field suffer ... not a good idea.

This brings up another question. Why not keep the "Busch-wackers" where they belong, in the Cup series and then these "field fillers" can experiment with testing the waters of

the Busch series. In all all reality , if these guys are that slow, move them to ARCA , disallow them to run NASCAR or get the higher tier Busch teams (that chase the Busch-wackers) into the cup fields.

How about we do a salary cap on auto racing racing like all the other major sports ???

Now that is how we control this !!!!

If these people can come up with the $$$ to make a cup field, let them run. If the Cup guys are cream of the crop, they can manuever around these guys... they are paid handsomely, let them earn that big money.

I FIND IT FUNNY IN THE WAY THE WHOLE ISSUE IS BROUGHT ABOUT.

TONY STEWART SPUN THE 80 CAR - TEN LAPS FROM THE END HE SPUN THE 9 CAR , VERY BLATANTLY(WHO STILL FINISHED 4 SPOTS IN FRONT OF HIM).

I THINK INSTEAD OF DOING AWAY WITH SLOWER CARS-DO AWAY WITH TONY STEWART AND ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM MAKER...

Stewart spun the 80 because the 80 was a lap down after only about 25 laps, and had become what we used to call "a mobile chicane."

They need a minimum speed rule: if you can't qualify within a set percentage of the leader, you don't make the field.

LAST TIME I CHECKED IF I HIT I GUY FROM BEHIND AND CAUSE A WRECK ,I'M GOING TO THE BACK-NO MATTER HOW SLOW HE IS. IF A GUYS MAKING HIS KINDA MONEY DOING WHAT THOUSANDS OF OTHERS WOULD LOVE TO BE DOING ,THEN I WOULD THINK HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO AVOID THE SITUATION. WHAT WOULD BE THE EXCUSE ON THE 9 CAR ? HE'S NEVER HAD PROFESSIONAL ATTITUDE,AND WHAT I SAW SUNDAY WAS A SHOT OF HIS (THE WORLD SHOULD REVOLVE AROUND ME) ATTITUDE,AND NOT PROFESSIONAL DRIVING...IF HE HAS A GOOD DAY HE'S ALL HUGS AND KISSES-IF IT'S A BAD DAY ZIPPY HAS TO COME OUT TO BE INTERVIEWED,SO THAT TONY DOSE'NT SLAP PRESS PEOPLE LIKE YOU T.Q.

Its NASCAR's fault that there are field fillers. Them taking steps in getting rid of these guys is just plain wrong. It would be alright if they could maybe help support these guys or offer some type of funding for teams to come up from BGN and CTS. One question. Where is that HUGE TV deal money going because it sure ain't goin to the teams.

I really don't care any more what Cup racing does, but before we start a bash of so-called "field fillers", lets reflect back a few years. Texas World Speedway held Cup races in '79, '80. and '81. The biggest starting field of any of those races was 34 cars. Myself and a couple other guys were in the pits providing the tire service for the old baby grand national class that would run on Saturday. Having free run of the pit area allowed us to look at all the cars.

Say what you want about Hillenburg and Ruttman and Shelmerdine. But they are legitimate racing teams compared to some of the piles that were in those fields back then. Some of them wouldn't be safe sitting in a museum. 34 starters, and about a third of them were way down on the scale versus what everyone is calling filler these days. If there had been a minimum speed rule, the starting field woulda been about 25 or 26 cars.

Gordon had 42 others out there with him Sunday. He coulda run into any of them.

So lets give these guys a chance. Remember Dave Marcis, Jimmy Means, Buddy Arrington, Elmo Langley, Cecil Gordon and others who chased that dream with underfunded and understaffed teams.

Hey Nascar Already has a Minimum Speed set at each track and they make you get off if your not cutting it but the speed is pretty low so it let's almost anybody make the field.

Chris

What about SAS this weekend, if these slower cars can't pull to the inside and get out of the way, there will be some bad accidents. I remember Larry Bendele and Donnie Horelka twice came close to wrecking with a slower car in the front stretch and also another one in the back stretch. If they can't pick up anymore speed maybe they should move down to Busch, oops I mean the sportsman class. Just being sarcastic!

Yea Horsepower

Well i think they should get there best at a lower class then they can move up

Ex. Have you ever seen andy hillenburg in a lower class???

He should have worked his way up to nextel

Arca-Winston West-Busch-Nextel

That's just what i think

-Chris

txtom-

Yeah, there were some underfunded teams at TWS in those days. I met one of them once, fellow named Wendell Scott. He and his uncle towed down from Danville with a pickup truck. The truck engine was a 3/4 race motor that would have been the spare if they'd needed it, after which (if it were still running) they'd put it back in the truck for the tow home.

There's underfunded, and there's underfunded. Some of these field fillers are maybe 90 percent underfunded, and that's a lot.

How many times did Tony try to get by before he tagged him? And why is tagging a backmarker a bad thing, but when Dale Sr. spun Bobby Hamilton into the wall, he's a hero? Earnhardt could pass Hamilton any time he wanted.

Yes, there is a minimum speed, but not a minimum qualifying speed, and there should be. The minimum speed should also be raised. You're not having a problem, and you get lapped in less than 25 laps? Get off the track before you kill someone.

I still think Dale, Sr. was the best stock car driver so far, though I'd tend to put David Pearson right up there with him. But I'm not a fan because he didn't always have to drive the way he did. Maybe he was just keeping up the Intimidator image.

On the other hand, I'm a fan of Dale, Jr., mostly for the way he handled himself and the things going on around him after Dale was killed. The kid grew up in about two weeks, and he's been pretty strong since.

There are always going to be "slower" cars on the track. What happened to Gordon could of happened to anyone, and I am sure it has happened before. Besides, it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$. Quit crying and lets go racing!!!

Tim

Exactly mine! Gordon usually is the first person to open his mouth when things don't go his way. Remember the incident last year with Robby Gordon? Had that wreck this past weekend happened to someone else, would he of said anything about it? Probably not...

How many other drivers have had this happen to them and not say a word about it because they understand that it is just a part of racing and they learn to deal with it.

Lets say that same thing happened, but between the 42nd and 43rd qualifer and the 42nd qualifer complaines about the "slower" car blah, blah, blah. Is anyone really going to listen or make a big deal about it, probably not. Tony Stewart wasn't fast enough to get around that "slower" car? I understand the principle, but come on!

Tim

Is it possible to give the teams a "salary cap" for parts, cars, drivers etc... How many people here like the Yankees?

And why is tagging a backmarker a bad thing, ?

Answer: because at THR, you'll be sent to be back with the backmarker and still trying to get around him! :D

Sorry Nick - couldn't resist. I know the question had nothing to do with local racing.

cs

Hey I was one of those backmarkers that got in Larry and Donnie way and almost got his but and everything else run over.Sorry to everyone conserned I was driving the 74 car and filling the field.

TTR,

Hillenburg has run Arca, Busch, Cup, etc. He has about 74 starts in these series, in addition to being a driving school instructor. He is as qualified as several out there, just not as moneyed.

Doesn't really matter what level of racing you're in, there will always be field filler. We had a big post the last year or two on this board about some of the local series and the problems with slower/lapped traffic.

By the way, I remember an underfunded guy in Cup racing several years back who went to Charlotte with basically one car and a couple motors. He was field filler when he started Cup racing, only a few guys in his crew. Eventually got a dollar or two behind him, and went on to a little bit of success.

Remember Alan Kulwicki?

Archived