Potential 2010 Shady Oaks Pure Stock Rules

I RACE AT I-37 AND MY CAR IS 100% LEGAL THERE BUT IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL AT SOS ALONG WITH MANY OTHERS AND WE WOULD LIKE TO RACE AT SOS. THERE ARE 3 THINGS THAT WOULD MAKE MY CAR ILLEGAL TO RACE PURE STOCK THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE CHANGED SO I CAN BE LEGAL TO RACE THERE.

1.68CC HEADS IS LEGAL AT I-37 AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT AFTERMARKET (175 COMPRESSION OR LOWER IS FAIR)

2.WILWOOD UNIVERSAL MASTERCYLINDER SINGLE PISTON WITHOUT A BRAKE BOOSTER IS LEGAL AT I-37(IT IS A OEM REPLACEMENT CHECK THE SPEEDWAY MOTORS CATALOG)

3.MY CAR HAS 4 DOORS AND DUE TO THE ROLLCAGE WE HAD TO CUT THE CENTER ROOF SUPPORT RAIL OUT AND IT STILL HAS THE ORIGINAL STOCK LOOK AND IS LEGAL AT I-37(MY CAR IS ALSO 116INCH WHEELBASE COMPAIRED TO OTHERS MUCH SMALLER)

IT WOULD BE NICE IF OUR RULES AND SOS WERE THE SAME THE HIGHEST CAR COUNT WE HAVE HAD THIS YEAR IS 26 I BELIEVE.

HOPEFULLY I WILL BE RACING THERE NEXT YEAR ALSO.

MIKE HARRISON #71

Mike, Thanks for your concerns. These rules are nowhere set in stone, just as a feeler to try to get a reaction to them... so far on my end, the response has been very well. Some people think it makes their current cars illegal, but if they were to actually read them thoroughly, everyone falls into place with minimal changes. We do need to clear up the grey areas before someone like Dancer or Danielsen takes full advantage of the written rules and brings a tank to a gun fight. Our level of competition is already top notch, but there are guys that have been around racing for years who can take un-necessary advantage of our current written rules, and that's what i'm trying to police. As it is, as long as you can pull 15 inches of vacuum, you are more then welcome to come race on the 8 inch tires.

Here are a few thoughts and suggestions for the stock class rules for 2010 at SOS. Until recently TRP had two very seperate classes. The first of the two was a true Bomber division with rules just as you would expect to see for a class with this name at any track you may have attended. The second was known as Street Stock. This class offered a higher level of performance in both power and handling. With TRP having these two classes and a limited number of participants it was neccessary for the track owners to do the best they could at finding a medium between the two. This is a simple explanation for the rules being used this year at TRP. It seems to have been a success to this point. TRP is providing a very well organized raceing envirionment and this newly combined class is always very competitive with a decent car count.

SOS and its promoters are obviously aware that spectaters bring a tracks profits and hope to see full classes of racecars. It is critical not to loose sight of this. When out of town drivers show an interest in raceing at your track it is a sign that things are headed in the right direction. With this said it would seem that the only way to improve even more on the car count is to maintain a limited number of stock type classes and continue working on rules that keep things simple. You have asked for input and suggestions from the participants and for this KUDDOS!

As a long time racer, I would like to offer a few suggestions for a new STOCKERS class in 2010. In the reading of your proposed rules for 2010, I have found a few things that may assist in keeping the playing field clear of most grey areas while still allowing for out of town cars to be competetive and at the same time keep the Techmans duties very simple.

Holley 4412s - carbs to be checked top and bottom with Go/NoGo for stock dimensions. Other alterations to metering blocks, boosters, accelerator cams and power valves allowed. This takes the questioning of "legal or not" out of the basic equation and only leaves tech with one quick check. There are awesome carbs on the track with very little expense that most techmen are not capable of teching without a carb guru on site. Ask Steve @ Zepeda Carbs. I was once told that the Rochester carbs can be altered to flow in excess of 600 CFM with stock base plate changes. Holley 4412s only.

Intakes - Everyone knows that there are some very healthy flowing cast iron intakes available if you have a deep pocket book. Brezenski claims to have a very strong following in the South Texas area by racers in these classes. Again, very hard for any Techman to identify. Allow a $100.00 claimer for the out right purchase of any intake suspected by another driver of being illegal. Winning car or not.

Valve Train - Any stamped steel ball type rocker. Any Ratio. NO ROLLER BEARING tips or fulcrums. Once again, easy to visibly check without question. The only available performance gains would be the differing ratios which could be overcome with a simple cam swap so just eleminate the ratio concern. Keep your Teching visual on this area of the valve train.

Cams- No Steel Shafts. Hydraulic or Solid Tappet Non Roller Cams only.

A Vacume rule has been mentioned in regards to this class. This is another area that posses lots of questions from several different angles. Novice engine builders really struggle with this due to the lack of available information from cam suppliers and the other variables affecting engine vacume. Such as Gapless Ringsets. This rule varies from track to track and from class to class. It is not an accurate measurement of anything in a racing engine but vacume itself. It is most deffinately not a way to differenciate cars from other tracks or your own local cars. The simplest answer is in the cam lift rule. Again, very easy to Tech with a dial indicator and the removal of only the valve cover. This should permit out of town cars to compete providing the lift rule is not to small. A .480 lift measured at the valve provides for a wide selection of cams and should allow for most out of town cars to legaly compete. Yet another option is to not have a cam measuring rule at all. We have already limited the carb to 500CFM. Limited the flow with a very poor quality Intake. And have defined the use of a Flat top Piston below a 72cc head with low strength high friction rockers.

Cranks - 3.482 inches maximum allowable stroke. Stock weight cranks. Aftermarket Cranks Allowed. No lightning of Cranks except as is neccesary for normal balancing.

Rods- Stock Steel I beam type 5.7 Rods. No light weight rods. Aftermarket rod bolts allowed.

Pistons- 4 valve relief Flat Tops Only. No Light weight pistons. No small or 2 ring pistons allowed. No special coatings. No wrist pin keepers.

Cubic Inch Displacement- 360 Max. "Note to Tech" Obtain a C.I.D. pumping tool and use it!

Rear Ends- Any american made OEM production 5 lug rear end allowed.

Mounting holes for trailing arms, leaf spring pads and shock mounts must remain in the original stock measured positions and dimensions as for the year and type car for which the rearend is being installed into. The only allowable change is for pinion angle. No adjustable blocks or spacers. No solid or offset bushings. No aftermarket link bars. No Panhard Bars. Leaf spring cars must have OEM rear shackles with stock front mounts in their original locations.

Brakes- 3400 lbs. cars running bumper to bumper, door to door, as fast as they can...........I am personally willing to let anyone raceing on the track against me have anything your wallet can handle in this category.

SAFTEY SAFTEY SAFTEY!!!

I thought carefuly before making this last statement knowing the feed back it always produces. I have been in cars with really killer brakes and have also "stupidly" finished races without brakes. I just like knowing I have a fighting chance of saving my radiator or perhaps YOUR CAR when it becomes necessary. I don't need to hear how you can out run someone because of your aftermarket brake system at this level of raceing.

Shocks- Okay,.... Here is were you've really got me.... We have raceing tires, raceing springs, spring spacers, the ability to adjust ride heights, create wedge and an engine package capable of haveing just the right amount of GO/GO on one super fast SOS heavy, sticky, high speed, super long straights with high banks and yet we decide to limit one of the most important handling components on the whole car........... How about this instead? Shocks with OEM stock rubber isolated mounts located in the original factory installed mounts. No Bearing ended shocks. No Coil Over Shocks. No Adjustable Shocks. Once again, very easy to visualy tech. The idea of a claimer on shocks sounds good but is never going to be effective. It just creates alot of constant questioning. Bilstein is a factory available production shock that can be purchased in stock form with a wide variety of valve combinations. Are we really going to buy all of them when they show up at the track? And how many shocks do the track owners really want to own? Don't incorporate rules that will cost the track money! It is a wasted expence that should have been paid out to honest racers.

Shady Oaks Speedway is quickly becoming known as one of the fastest dirt tracks around period!!!

In the creation of the new rules for 2010 please carefuly concider these suggestions and continue to ask for input from your partcipants, in this class as well as all others. We are already limiting this class in all of the right areas. We have a good weight that most all other tracks can work with. A simple set of performance limiting engine rules that are easy to keep in TECH by a quick visual inspection or simple measuring with a few basic tools. Cars that are very driveable, fast and safe handling. And overall, a class that will be well suited for the traveling racer. SOS has the ability to handle the fastest stock class around so why not use it.

When out of town cars come to SOS for their first visit give them a reason to come back- -REALLY FAST.

Thats the one thing I have been trying to preach. Make it easy on yourself in tech! I am ok with our current rules as long as they are just cleaned up a bit. We do have some rules that either dont exist or are gray to say the least. Nontheless SOS has been fair up to this point giving guys a chance to test it out and see if they like the place. But like any successful track it starts with running a good program and giving a crap about it all! These guys do and we are proud to be a small part of it!

Archived