Potential 2010 Shady Oaks Pure Stock Rules

Alright guys. Our rules currently are too vague. With the help of a mentor, I have compiled a set of rules which should make everyone happy. I ask everyone who has any interest in making this class survive and thrive to give me an honest input on these rules. They are in no way finished, or set in stone, but as it is, should be a very good baseline to go off of. I want to hear every concern with them, so that I can evaluate them, and hopefully present a final draft for us for next season. I would also love to see them at STS, I37 and TRP, but it is probably more of a dream then reality. I will also ask that our super stock guys step up and address any concerns so that we can get them all on the same page between the tracks.

Randy Borlace, SOS Technical Official.

i37racer93@gmail.com

Shady Oaks Speedway Hobby Stock Rules

WEIGHT: Minimum weight is 3400 pounds with driver after race.

CARBURETOR: Box stock Holley #4412 , or stock two barrel for the year the car was produced is allowed. Number must be legible on air horn. Choke horn must be attached. Circle track floats may be used. No machine work on carburetor. Holley carburetors may be mounted on cast iron 4 barrel intake with an adaptor only. No spacers are allowed. No other alterations are allowed. Only one carburetor allowed on engine. No other carburetors are allowed. No injectors or pressure systems allowed.

CYLINDER HEADS:

Any cast iron head is allowed that meets the described requirements. Heads are limited to 1.94” intake valves and 1.50” exhaust valves. and a minimum of 72 CC combustion chamber. Heads may be flat milled for surfacing reasons only, no angle milling allowed.

Studs may be pinned or screwed in.

No porting, polishing, port matching or coatings of any type allowed. No aluminum or titanium components are allowed.

Any work done in the bowl area must be done with a 360 degree cut, with the valve guide as the center point.

Full roller rocker arms and roller tip rocker arms are not allowed. Poly-locks are allowed. Stud girdles are not allowed.

Stock, or Stock type 1.5 Rocker arms only.

ENGINE:

May be in stock location or #1 spark plug can be even with ball-joint or forward. #1 spark plug may not extend behind upper ball joint on any car.

Cast iron OEM blocks only. After-market steel stock type engine mounts are allowed. No machining in lifter valley (except for oil flow drain openings) or in lifter bores.

Engine components must be stock type. No Chevrolet Bowtie, Ford SVO or Mopar Performance blocks. Stock stroke must be maintained within .002”. No performance parts. I beam rods only with a maximum length of 5.7 inches for GM. After-market rod bolts may be used. No floating wrist pins, must be press fit. Flat top pistons or dish pistons only, no domed pistons. Maximum cubic inch displacement allowed is 364 c.i.d. Boring to a maximum of .060” over stock OEM bore is allowed.

Fords: 289,302, or 351 blocks only with Flat Top pistons. Any OEM Ford head is allowed. No aftermarket or Boss heads allowed. Maximum valve size is 1.94 intake and 1.60 exhaust.

Camshaft and lifters must be hydraulic.

Maximum 175 lbs. per cylinder compression, no tolerance. Compression checked with one spark plug removed, turned five engine compression revolutions.

A Vacuum rule is in effect, and you must be able to pull 15" of vacuum at 1000 rpm. Vacuum to be pulled off the intake only.

A stock oil pan or a claimer style oil pan is allowed. Oiling must be complete wet sump. No dry sump systems allowed. An inspection hole is mandatory on the passenger side of the oil pan

Intake must be cast iron. No high-rise intakes, no marine intakes and no aluminum intakes. No porting, polishing, port matching, acid porting, acid treatments or coatings of any kind.

Any brand, style or size air cleaner is allowed, but no type of ram air or forced air induction will be allowed. Any valve cover combination is allowed.

Cast iron water pump is required. Pulleys may be aluminum after-market. Fan must be steel and attached to water pump. Fan spacers may be used. An additional electric cooling fan may be used to assist cooling under yellow flag periods, but all stock fan, pulley and belt components must remain installed.

After-market harmonic balancer is allowed.

IGNITION: Ignition must remain and be completely stock OEM replacement parts only. Stock HEI ignition is allowed. No MSD modules, no MSD systems or any after-market or GM ignition boxes allowed. Aftermarket starter is O.K.

EXHAUST SYSTEM:

All Exhaust pipes must extend past driver seat.

Chassis headers are allowed and must exit behind the driver.

No 180 type headers, or any over frame rail type header allowed.

RADIATOR: Only one radiator must be in stock location.

Aluminum radiator is allowed. Racing radiator cap is allowed.

FUEL: Gasoline only. Racing fuel allowed. No additives allowed. No alcohol.

FUEL PUMP: Must be stock OEM style fuel pump. Carter and Holley manual styles are allowed.

FUEL CELL: Must be securely mounted to frame in trunk of car between the rear frame rails. Fuel Cell in a Steel Can is required if car has an open floor pan in the trunk area. A Plastic Fuel Cell may be used only if complete floor pan is in place. Fuel cell is required, maximum capacity of 22 gallons. Fuel line must be ran through conduit and must be visible all the way to the fuel pump. No fuel cooling devices of any kind are allowed.

DRIVETRAIN - TRANSMISSION:

Any OEM automatic transmission is allowed. Unit must be stock and have a full working torque converter, minimum of 10". Powerglides must have 12” torque converter. No direct drives, valved pumps or bleeder style valve bodies. All forward, neutral and reverse gears must be in working order for all automatics.

Standard transmissions must be OEM stock, with all gears in working order and a minimum of 10.5” clutch, pressure plate and full size stock flywheel. No mini-clutches or direct drives. Standard transmissions may not use aluminum flywheel of any size.

All standard transmissions must have bell housing made of 1/4” thick steel and must cover 180 degrees over the sides and top of the clutch assembly (also referred to as a blow-proof bell housing).

No 4-speed, 5-speed or 6-speed manual transmissions, no overdrive transmissions or overdrive units. No Bert, Brinn or internal clutch style transmissions allowed. No ram couplers allowed. Quick-change transmissions or transmission adapters for gear change are not allowed.

Car must be self-starting and have working neutral, reverse and ALL forward gears. (ex. 3-speed trans. must have 3 forward working gears.)

Transmission fluid coolers are allowed, but may not be mounted exposed in drivers compartment.

DRIVESHAFT: Driveshaft must be steel and must be painted white or silver. Driveshaft must have a steel driveshaft loop (360 degrees) connected to the frame located within 6” of the front driveshaft u-joint. Minimum size of driveshaft loop is 2” x 1/4” or minimum 1” round tubing. No chain loops are allowed as driveshaft loops.

REAREND: Rear-end must be OEM. Ford 9 inch rearends will be allowed in all cars with one set of mounting holes for the coil spring cars, no multiple mounting holes. Floater hubs are not allowed. Quick change rearends are NOT allowed

Axles must be locked together at all times with mini-spool or welded. No posi-trac, limited slip, Detroit locker or full spool allowed.

BRAKES: No racing brake systems, either complete or partial. Brake system must remain OEM stock. No Racing Style Master Cylinders (ex. Howe, Wilwood, etc.) or Aftermarket Brake Pedals. No aluminum brake components on any car. Cars must have all four functioning brakes. Rear Disc brakes are allowed with steel components only and with only a single piston caliper. All 4 brakes must be working with no shut off valves.

STEERING: Quick steer boxes of any type or style allowed. Complete OEM stock steering system for year, make and model, from the steering box to the spindles, including steering gear box must be used. After-market steering shaft and quick release steering wheel is allowed. Steering wheel spacer allowed to a maximum of 3”thick. Any power steering pump allowed, must be strictly for power steering, no tandem pumps.

SUSPENSION: No modifying of the suspension is allowed. OEM suspension parts only. No cutting, welding or bending of frame to accommodate suspension changes. Suspension parts must remain absolutely stock for that year, make and model of car. This includes spindles, rotors, upper control arms, lower control arms, ball joints, tie rods, tie rod sleeves, center link, pitman arm, idler arm, steering box and trailing arms. No adjustable spring spacers. All upper/lower trailing arm & upper/lower control arm bushings must be present; however they may be replaced with after-market bushings. No mono-ball bushings.No offset or "soft" bushings on the back control arms. Bolt on Spindle Savers are allowed. Upper Control Arm can be strengthened with a maximum of 3/8 inch cold roll or rebar along the outer lip within the groove.

SPRINGS: Racing springs may be used. Rear coil spring maximum length of 13 inches. No weight jacks or adjustable spring spacers are allowed. Springs must be same heighth side to side. Leaf springs may be after market, but no adjustable lowering blocks. Any steel non-jack bolt type leaf spring shackles are allowed, including multi-hole. No non-operational or welded jack bolts permitted.

SHOCKS: Shocks must be steel OEM replacement shocks. Shocks must be mounted using the OEM stock mounts in the factory installed location. No heims on shocks allowed. No shock adapters. There will be a shock claim in effect of 25$ per shock.

CHASSIS: Frame must remain unaltered in wheelbase and width as defined by OEM original specifications. 1978-1987 metric chassis may be altered for clearance of right front tire only, with maximum alteration not to exceed one-half inch (.5”). Uni-body sub-frames may be tied together.

ROLL CAGE: Roll bars must be constructed of 1.5” x .095” steel tubing minimum.

Main roll bar and halo must be a minimum of 1” higher than the driver’s helmet. Minimum of three (3) door bars on the driver side and a minimum of two (2) door bars on the passenger side. A door plate must be welded on the driver's side roll cage. A single bay bar per side is allowed, and may not extend past the idler arm or the steering box. Two vertical bars may be attached to each bay bar to the frame. Maximum size is 1.5” inch O.D., .095” tubing. All roll cage welds must be complete and pass safety inspection by tech officials. Floor pan may be cut for cage and sub- frame connectors, but must be replaced by a minimum of 20 gauge steel. X-bracing under the driver (frame-to-frame) is allowed.

NERF BARS: A single nerf bar is allowed on each side. Maximum size 1.5” x .095”. May be attached to main cage only at the front and rear section of the nerf bar. This means only two (2) attachment points are allowed. No open tubing allowed. Tubing must be capped or rounded with no sharp edges. No nerf bars are allowed on the rear outside quarter panel area. Nerf bars may not extend outside of tires.

WINDSHIELD BARS: A minimum of three vertical windshield bars are required. Must be a minimum of 3/8” diameter steel and mounted in front of the driver.

TIRES: American Racer KK704 g60, Hoosier g60, and Southwest Speed g60 tires will be allowed. There will be a period of time to use up your old dirt bozz tires, but they will no longer be allowed after the third race of the season.

WHEELS: Any 8” or 10" width steel wheel. Any offset from 2” through 5” is allowed. After-market 5/8” lug studs are mandatory. 1” diameter lug nuts are required. Wheel spacers are allowed. Wheel adapters are not allowed. No screws allowed. A protective outer ring is allowed to be welded to the outer lip of the wheel with a maximum size .5” O.D., round or square is allowed. A flat bar of 1.25” may also be used. Bead lock placed on right rear only.

INTERIOR: Any oil or transmission fluid coolers in the driver’s compartment must be configured to shield the driver in case of leaks. The cooler lines must be encased in tubing, rubber or steel may be used.

BODY: Car bodies must be strictly OEM stock, unaltered and must remain in stock location, or be proportionate to stock location when using an alternate body. . Complete bumper-to-bumper steel body must be retained. Doors must be welded or bolted shut. Doors may be gutted for cage installation. All glass, plastic, fiberglass and trim must be removed from racecar. Upholstery and plastic portion of the dash must be completely removed. No gutting of steel interior except for hood and trunk also to allow for roll cage clearance. Window Post may not be removed. If already removed, it must be replaced to retain a stock appearance

FENDERS: Fenders may be cut for tire clearance only and fender must be within 7” of the tire. Front inside fender wells may be removed.

FIREWALL: A full and complete front and rear firewall must be retained. All holes must be sealed with a minimum or 20 gauge steel. Front firewall must be OEM, no exceptions

FLOOR: Floorboards must remain in car. All rusted portions of the floorboard must be replaced with minimum 20 gauge steel. Floor Pan must remain stock from driver / passenger seat forward; therefore you may remove the floor pan behind the driver/passenger. However a rear firewall will be mandatory behind the driver/passenger area to ensure the safety of driver.

BUMPERS: Stock OEM bumpers are required. Option: After-market plastic bumpers may replace stock OEM bumber. A maximum of 2 in. x 3 in. rectangular tubing or 1 ¾ in. round tubing should be used to support plastic bumper. Bumper loops are required to protect radiator, fuel tank and to be used by wrecker for tow hooks. Maximum 1.5” x .095” steel tubing, maximum 8” tall and not wider than the frame and mounted to the frame or bumper only. Bumpers must be tied into the quarter panel or fender to ensure no hooking of bumpers. No tubular bumpers outside of a plastic nose or tail piece

HOOD: Steel Hood/Trunk Required, No Aluminum. Hood must remain in place at all times. Hood must be pinned. No holes allowed in the hood: therefore no working hood scoops. Any holes in hood must be covered by steel. Quick release hood pins and rear deck pins are required. Hood must make a complete seal dashboard and/or firewall. The engine compartment must not be visible from driver’s seat.

SPOILER: Not to exceed 6” and must be attached to rear of trunk lid only. May not extend past the width of the car. Spoiler supports may not be taller than spoiler and may not be longer than 12 inches. Spoiler may be made of aluminum, steel, or Lexan.

IGNITION SWITCH: All cars must have ignition switch clearly labeled. The car must be equipped with a kill switch to be located within reach when standing outside of the car and easily accessible to emergency personnel.

BATTERY : Only one twelve volt (12v) battery allowed. Battery and battery box must be securely mounted to car and safely sealed. Battery must be completely encased in an enclosed battery box.

DRIVER LOCATION: Driver's seat must be no further back then 30 inches forward from the center of the rear axle to the bottom of the seat..

SEAT: Aluminum Racing seats with rib supports are required. No fiberglass or bucket seats. Seat must be securely mounted to chassis (not floor plan) with a minimum of 4 (four) 3/8” bolts, of which two must be mounted in the middle of the seat at the drivers back.

BALLAST: Any weight must be mounted with a minimum of two (2) 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts

SAFETY HARNESS: Racing-type 5-point seatbelts are mandatory. All 5 belts must be fastened while driver is in car and on racing surface. Must be securely mounted with half inch bolts and tabs welded to the cage or frame. Must be less than two (2) years old. If the SFI tag is not present or is illegible, the belts will be deemed illegal.

WINDOW NET: A window net with quick release is required. It may be Mesh or Ribbon Type. No Sprint Car Nets.

THE RULES LOOK GOOD TO START A NEW CLASS. THE PROBLEM IS THERE ARE ALREADY A LOT OF CARS BUILT TO OLD RULES. STS HAS BEEN RUNNING THE SAME RULES FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS WITH ONLY SMALL CHANGES EACH YEAR. I THINK TEXANA HAS BEEN THE SAME FOR SEVERAL YEARS ALSO. GOOD LUCK! I AM WORKING ON A SPORTMOD TO RACE NEXT YEAR ANYWAY.

BOBBY JACK

STS PURESTOCK #88

My opinion and first concern is what track does SOS want to run against and which one will they run with? Thats very important because if they lean towards Edna then they need stay cross to what we are doing as does Edna. If its STS then SOS and them need to work together to be on the same page. Obviously I37 needs to be a part of it as well. Sounds like the top dogs should get together some how mid season to work out next year if it can be done at all. Working together is the hard part, good luck guys....

THE RULES LOOK GOOD TO START A NEW CLASS. THE PROBLEM IS THERE ARE ALREADY A LOT OF CARS BUILT TO OLD RULES. STS HAS BEEN RUNNING THE SAME RULES FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS WITH ONLY SMALL CHANGES EACH YEAR. I THINK TEXANA HAS BEEN THE SAME FOR SEVERAL YEARS ALSO. GOOD LUCK! I AM WORKING ON A SPORTMOD TO RACE NEXT YEAR ANYWAY.

BOBBY JACK

STS PURESTOCK #88

I agree... I think the rules look good, but then your looking at the necesity of starting another class that will fit between the pure stock and the super stock. There are a TON of cars that will out power the pure stocks under these rules but won't be able to keep up with the class up.

are you guys reading these rules? cause from what I see pretty much every car built to the current rules should fit in....pretty much the rules just close up some of the loop holes...(like the heim end shocks) The pure stock class is already way out of hand....(headers, racing tires, aftermarket heads) Keeping the rules the same as this year would not make sense...I am sure everyone has noticied that the class has been shrinking...and the fact you cant go ANYWHERE and fit in with there rules. SO...if you ask me something had to be done....and I think these rules are a step in the right direction.....the current rules are not even followed...I mean they say only stock parts...so...really..there is not one legal car out there....1.8. Suspension must remain absolutely stock for make and model of vehicle.

"1.8. Suspension must remain absolutely stock for make and model of vehicle."

So that means every car running racing springs and shocks are illegal.... and there are numerous other rules like this that are not being followed.....everything has been just passed down by the brother in law deal.....these rules just put what is allowed on paper....how else can they actually tech the cars?

WHERE DOES I37 STREET STOCKS FIT IN ? SOME OF OUR STREET STOCKS CAN RUN WITH THE HIGHER CLASS BUT MOST OF OUR STREET STOCKS WOULD FIT BETTER IN YOUR PURE STOCK. IT FEELS LIKE MOST OF THE TRACKS JUMP FROM A BOMBER/PURE STOCK TO A SUPER STOCK/LLM TO ME THAT SEEMS LIKE A BIG JUMP. 37 HAS ITS GOOD AND BAD POINTS BUT THEY DO HAVE A PURE STOCK CLASS, THEN STREET STOCK CLASS WHICH HAS BEEN PULLING A GOOD CAR COUNT,THEN THE SUPER STOCK CLASS. AT STS OWEN LETS SOME OF I37 CARS (NO SPORT CARS LIKE CAMAROS)RUN WITH HIS PURE STOCKS(WHICH HAVE SOME MODIFICATIONS) AND IF HE NEEDS TO HE ADDS WEIGHT . WHATS YOUR VIEW ON THE 37 CARS FITTING IN RANDY ?

are you guys reading these rules? cause from what I see pretty much every car built to the current rules should fit in....pretty much the rules just close up some of the loop holes...(like the heim end shocks) The pure stock class is already way out of hand....(headers, racing tires, aftermarket heads) Keeping the rules the same as this year would not make sense...I am sure everyone has noticied that the class has been shrinking...and the fact you cant go ANYWHERE and fit in with there rules. SO...if you ask me something had to be done....and I think these rules are a step in the right direction.....the current rules are not even followed...I mean they say only stock parts...so...really..there is not one legal car out there....1.8. Suspension must remain absolutely stock for make and model of vehicle.

"1.8. Suspension must remain absolutely stock for make and model of vehicle."

So that means every car running racing springs and shocks are illegal.... and there are numerous other rules like this that are not being followed.....everything has been just passed down by the brother in law deal.....these rules just put what is allowed on paper....how else can they actually tech the cars?

Randy teched my car at 37 and he did follow your rules. He said because of the racing springs and shocks ,that I had to run a class higher. I cant run a class higher at 3800 pounds,so I dont go but he did follow the rules at least on my car. Just a note.

Just to clarify something here these are Randy's Ideas only and in no way shape or form will I change Shady Oaks Current rules as They are written. It absolutely killed me to add AR500 tires in Limited mods but we run the same rules as Edna and they added the tire early in the season so we followed suit. Randy is only trying to get all the tracks around within a 100 miles or so to get on the same page. That is easy to hope for but highly unlikely. We are the new /old kids on the block and had to align ourselves with a nearby track. It makes some happy and some mad. Right now our rules work as written and will be enforced whether it costs us car count or not,there is nothing worse than being wishy washy about the rules. Our schedule will always compete with others for race dates as there are more tracks than there are Saturdays. I guess it all boils down to what kind of job we do as your promoter and how much fun you and your family had on race night. When it stops being fun for all involved that is when we failed at our job as a race track promoters. I have a reputation of 30 years for customer service and honesty. I plan on finishing my time here on earth right here at Shady Oaks as my family and I live here as well .You can count on me being here for many years to come and we will just wait and watch our car counts improve.Over the next few years we will only get better at that very job.

Jim Scribellito

Shady Oaks Speedway

My whole plan with these rules was to clear up the vague rules we currently have. AJ is right, as per our written rules, EVERY car out there is illegal. I for one am tired of hearing, well this is legal in Edna, but it's not written in the rules. Nearly every car will fall right in with none to minimal changes, same for the STS and i37 cars, that's whats great about these rules. I for one am a firm believer in the "if it doesn't say you can, then you can't" motto. It may all just be a pipe dream to want these to be instilled, but as it is, here is a great baseline to incorporate all of our pure stocks into one rule package. If a new car was built to the exact rules we have now, he would have stock shocks, stock springs and a 9th place car. If someone built a car to these rules, they would have what we have now, with no question about legality. That's all I want.

Jim is right on about not wanting to change rules, I don't like change either, but I feel for the benefit of our classes, it's a must. I see where TRP is now maybe re-considering the allowing of the AR500, I hope it gets taken out of the rules for one.

WHERE DOES I37 STREET STOCKS FIT IN ? SOME OF OUR STREET STOCKS CAN RUN WITH THE HIGHER CLASS BUT MOST OF OUR STREET STOCKS WOULD FIT BETTER IN YOUR PURE STOCK. IT FEELS LIKE MOST OF THE TRACKS JUMP FROM A BOMBER/PURE STOCK TO A SUPER STOCK/LLM TO ME THAT SEEMS LIKE A BIG JUMP. 37 HAS ITS GOOD AND BAD POINTS BUT THEY DO HAVE A PURE STOCK CLASS, THEN STREET STOCK CLASS WHICH HAS BEEN PULLING A GOOD CAR COUNT,THEN THE SUPER STOCK CLASS. AT STS OWEN LETS SOME OF I37 CARS (NO SPORT CARS LIKE CAMAROS)RUN WITH HIS PURE STOCKS(WHICH HAVE SOME MODIFICATIONS) AND IF HE NEEDS TO HE ADDS WEIGHT . WHATS YOUR VIEW ON THE 37 CARS FITTING IN RANDY ?

Most of the I37 cars can run with the super stock class and should. There is just a few who think they can steel an easy win from the pure stock class. We will run ours with supers untill the our super stock is built then run it. If SOS makes a street stock class next year then we will see about bringing both cars if I can afford a big enough trailer. Thanks SOS for everythihg yall are doing love the track.

I also agree that next year rules should be overhauled now for next year! Gives everyone plenty of time to be ready with no excuses! I dont see it being that much change over what most of us have now. Nobody builds a pure stocker and takes 100% advantage of every rule. I agree with the current rules having lots of gray areas. I also think some are taking that gray area arguement and trying to get away with much more the they should. Obviously lots of pure stock drivers are competing and having fun this year under the current rule package with a slow growing car count. I maybe the one to blame for Randy getting involved with next years rules now. I was prepared to protest anyone this past weekend who I thought was taking advantage of trying to run a higher level class car in the pure stock class. I had already contacted the techman with a properly filled out protest form and the needed cash. Upon the race ending the protest wasnt needed at that point so it was withdrawn. I like many others dont want to be shown up and embarrassed by a higher classed car with the fans not knowing any difference. We run a 4 door 116" wheelbase caprice with stock mounts on everything except motor and trans. From shocks, to control arms both front and rear to our firewalls and floorplans we are using factory original locations and are able to field a competitive car. The whole reason this is being discussed is cars running out of class and dropping down into the pure stocks whic isnt a problem as long as hey fit the rules. Its no different then a late model dropping down into the super stock class or a super stock dropping down into a street stock class. Sure we could use and need the cars but not at the expense of running our true pure stock drivers off and away from SOS. Rules are important for this year and next for sure but the real question is this year and how can we accommidate more drivers?

I think these are very reasonable requests from out of town drivers that want to race at SOS.

#1 - If you run a heim joint racing shock on the rear only and can not put a stock mount shock on your car then you must place 50 lbs. in front of the firewall and weight a total of 3450. If you run them on the front you are a super stock period!

#2 - If you are a I37 street stocker you should have the option of running either super stock as is or running pure stock with changes. You must run stock rocker arms no matter what. Weight min. should be 3450 total with 50 lbs in front of fire wall. You must run g60 tires only. Now if you race at I37 with the Street Stockers but are not taking full advantage of the engine and shock rules then you should be ok but at least letRandy go over the car.

#3 - If you are a pure stocker from STS then you should be allowed to run your full package of rules with no changes except removing the RR beadlock. Thats it. That will accomidate all and anyone interested from STS. I personally dont even care about the beadlock.

As far as the I37 street stockers we need to find a way to allow them to come race in pure stock. They could pretty much come race as much as their wallets allow due to them racing on Friday. I37 Street Stockers min. weight is 3250 so with a 200 weight penalty and 50 of it being in front of the firewall that should balance out them verses SOS pure stockers. Adding 200 lbs is dangerous but I dont think everyone is right at 3250.

Remember this is only being discussed so it gives drivers a chance to explore other tracks until next year. My hope is even if the tracks dont have the same rules they would be close enough for small changes.

On the hoosier tire. Yes they are discontinueing some of the different compounds for the dirt boss tire. The Soft compounds are already discounted and labeled a discontinued tire at https://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm scroll down to find the dirt boss tire. Its $70.00 right now! So maybe they are simply trimming down from a wide selection of compounds but staying with the actual style hoosier dirt boss alittle while longer.

These are simple ideas and we can toss them out or build on them.

the soft compound hasnt been available for some time now, the medium was all that was available to smileys anyways.according to hoosier sw.

Most of the I37 cars can run with the super stock class and should. There is just a few who think they can steel an easy win from the pure stock class. We will run ours with supers untill the our super stock is built then run it. If SOS makes a street stock class next year then we will see about bringing both cars if I can afford a big enough trailer. Thanks SOS for everythihg yall are doing love the track.

I agree and disagree with that. a legal street stock running at i37 is closer to a pure stock then a super stock at sos. We put our street stock in the pure stock class because we didnt want to get blown away and much rather steel a win then finish dead last anywhere. The only thing we had to change were the shocks, but we added 30 pounds of lead weight and about a 25 pound chain. Other than that sos puts on one hell of a show and they have the fans to show for it.

I agree and disagree with that. a legal street stock running at i37 is closer to a pure stock then a super stock at sos. We put our street stock in the pure stock class because we didnt want to get blown away and much rather steel a win then finish dead last anywhere. The only thing we had to change were the shocks, but we added 30 pounds of lead weight and about a 25 pound chain. Other than that sos puts on one hell of a show and they have the fans to show for it.

A legal i37 street stocker maybe closer to pure stock but its still not a pure stock!

I37 street stockers are allowed to run the following which is not legal for SOS pure stock. Each one of these rules was pulled directly from I37 rule book and each one of them is in direct violation of SOS pure stock rules. All it takes is one of these rules to be bent or broken to be illegal.

Aftermarket body panels are okay.

Race ready minimum weight is 3250 lbs with driver.

Front and rear weight jacks are allowed.

If weight jacks are used, front and rear shocks may be relocated.

Upper A-frame tower may be drilled to allow lowering of A-frame control arm.

Aftermarket upper control arms may be used but must remain in stock location.

Adjustable spring shackles and sliders are allowed.

Brake bias control/adjuster allowed.

Heads must be OEM cast iron, minimum of 62 cc.

Maximum intake valve- 2.02/Maximum exhausts valve-1.60.

Flat top pistons with 2 valve relief.

Edelbrock aluminum 4-barrell intake manifolds (part #2101) are allowed.

Marine cast iron manifolds are allowed on GM engines.

Any solid or hydraulic cam.

Maximum .540 inch valve lift.

Any stud type rocker arm.

Minimum 10” steel clutch and fly wheel.

3 link with no traction control device and solid top link.

One (1) bead lock wheel allowed on right rear only.

So am I to guess that you dont have any of these but are still racing at i37 in the street stock class?

I will go back to my earlier statement. There is not a class in between Pure Stock and Super Stock at SOS.

Someone said it earlier... based on the current rules every car out there is illegal?!?!?

When you build a car based on your home track rules and then travel to another track all you can do is find a class that you "best fit in with" and take your chance on what is getting teched for that night. So, coming from i37, it's like Wade said... We either get our A55 handed to us in the Super Stock in which we are way underpowered OR we make the adjustments to our car to fit in with the Pure Stock.

Danielsen, you're a good guy and you've got a hell of a driver! I'm just confused about being so upset about the street stocks at I37 running with the pure stocks. As of now you are in 2nd in points? You finished 2nd this last week (and that was with a flat tire for 8 laps). Now, if one of us or a couple of us were showing up and dominating the class I could see where that would be an issue, but that's not happening.

Take this last week for example - there were 4 cars from I37 that run the Street Stock class. 2 ran in Super Stock (they have tubular a arms - sliders - weight jacks - etc...) 2 ran in Pure Stock which with the exception of 1 or 2 items on that list of rules on the previous post (which obviously didn't give us any kind of big advantage) fit into the Pure Stock.

As far as a higher car count - Well in a perfect world SOS, Edna, STS, I37 will all get on the phone - get on the same page and say "Guys... lets have a meeting of the minds, and all lay down the same rules and the same classes for every track, so no matter which of our tracks that the cars show up at they know excatly where they fit & exactly what is legal BLACK & WHITE"

Until then - keep on keepin on just like you are!

a few years ago, not that long ago, i ran at tds,sos,sts, and never made one change to my car, and won at all three tracks, my point is ,it is possible to have all tracks with the same rules, its been done, and could happen again, we never had less than 25 cars a night at all 3 tracks, i know the economy sux, and that hurts car counts to a certain degree, but come on people this isnt cup racing, its a damn hobby. jmo

88 you may be reading into this wrong. I have stated above we need all the cars we can muster up w/o chasing off the local every week cars. I have stated that I am for racing against street stocks providing you guys take on a penalty of some sort. If you only have a couple rule infractions and they are small ones then great you are one of the few that are not taking full advantage of the street stock rules. But there are clear advantages by the list I put up when you compre the two classes. Yes I do have a good driver, I taught him everything he knows as my dad taught me. However we get the most out of what we have. Its not our fault that guys are cheating, or running a higher class car and cant keep up. I am on top of this now before a couple others really take advantage of this door being opened. There is no excuse if someone is running 90% of the i37 street stock rules for them to finish behind us, ever! We have a good pure stock car but we have a much better street stock car covered up. All I am going to say is I am a week or two from dusting off our yellow car if this is the direction its going to go. If we are going to allow street stocks and have no respect for the pure stocks and the SOS rules then everyone just speak up and say so, cause we can go there as well!

WE HAVE A GOOD SET OF RULES AT STS THAT WE HAVE BEEN RUNNING FOR SEVERAL YEARS. MOST OF US RAN THESE RULES AT CC SPEEDWAY ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO AND JUST FOLLOWED OWEN TO THE DIRT TRACK. STS HAS BEEN RUNNING UNDER SAME MANAGEMAENT FOR 5 YEARS NOW. LETS USE THERE RULES INSTEAD OF A BRAND NEW TRACK OR A TRACK THAT HAS CHANGED OWNERS OR MANAGERS RECENTLY. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. EVEN IF THE RULES WERE ALL THE SAME ME AND MY RACING BUDS COULD ONLY TRAVEL SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR. WE RACE FOR FUN AND HAVE ENJOYED RUNNING AT ALL THESE TRACKS WHEN WE COULD. MAYBE IN THE DOOR CLASSES WE SHOULD JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE AND CONCENTRATE ON SPORT MODS AND MODIFIEDS. AGAIN, JMO.

BOBBY JACK

361 510 1693

Just to clarify something here these are Randy's Ideas only and in no way shape or form will I change Shady Oaks Current rules as They are written. It absolutely killed me to add AR500 tires in Limited mods but we run the same rules as Edna and they added the tire early in the season so we followed suit. Randy is only trying to get all the tracks around within a 100 miles or so to get on the same page. That is easy to hope for but highly unlikely. We are the new /old kids on the block and had to align ourselves with a nearby track. It makes some happy and some mad. Right now our rules work as written and will be enforced whether it costs us car count or not,there is nothing worse than being wishy washy about the rules. Our schedule will always compete with others for race dates as there are more tracks than there are Saturdays. I guess it all boils down to what kind of job we do as your promoter and how much fun you and your family had on race night. When it stops being fun for all involved that is when we failed at our job as a race track promoters. I have a reputation of 30 years for customer service and honesty. I plan on finishing my time here on earth right here at Shady Oaks as my family and I live here as well .You can count on me being here for many years to come and we will just wait and watch our car counts improve.Over the next few years we will only get better at that very job.

Jim Scribellito

Shady Oaks Speedway

I raced at this track for the first time last week in the pures, even though I left with a wrecked racecar I had a BLAST!!! I will be back for sure. Just a little dark in the corners, but other than that, Doing a great job as far as I am concerned!! Thanks

Hell I am up to having my a$$ handed to me I will be willing to run my STS BOMBER with the Pure stocks if I could at least get some tires. Stephen do you have a couple of spares I could run one night?

Never mind next race SOS is running a STS isn't running is going to be in October if I still have a car left I will run at SOS.

Archived