diesel demons

HiTech

have a 99 dodge .with a cummens ..... takes off and run s good for awhile for aboult 6 miles then falls on its face .. you can do one of two things ..slow way down and give it a second and your off and running again .or reach up and turn the ign off and restart .and she runs great for aboult 6 miles again ....... check for codes and found two ..one was crank sensor ..replaced it ..two shows the injector timeing out of wack ..... is thier a sensor for the injector timeing something like the crank sensor ..or is it the injector pump gone bad ...i know it has had atleast one lift pump put on not to long ago ..and the fuel filter is new ............... this trucks starts fine and runs fine other than that problem ..my thought is its the injector pump .......what say you ..ps i have not check the lift pump to see what pressure it is putting out .. /and this truck never stops running when it does what its doing ..

have a 99 dodge .with a cummens ..... takes off and run s good for awhile for aboult 6 miles then falls on its face .. you can do one of two things ..slow way down and give it a second and your off and running again .or reach up and turn the ign off and restart .and she runs great for aboult 6 miles again ....... check for codes and found two ..one was crank sensor ..replaced it ..two shows the injector timeing out of wack ..... is thier a sensor for the injector timeing something like the crank sensor ..or is it the injector pump gone bad ...i know it has had atleast one lift pump put on not to long ago ..and the fuel filter is new ............... this trucks starts fine and runs fine other than that problem ..my thought is its the injector pump .......what say you ..ps i have not check the lift pump to see what pressure it is putting out .. /and this truck never stops running when it does what its doing ..
I had a powerstroke doing the exact same thing,after $1500.00 at ford and no cure,I figured out it was the $75.00 fuel pump getting weak and fixed it myself.(the pump that I replaced was only 6 months old also with low mileage but was still bad) Good luck

OT my stepdad has a 99 model Dodge with a Cummins in it and his injector pump went out like that, I don't know how much they are now, but were 1395.00 no matter where you got one from.

They had to be a Bosch certified out fit to work on them. He initially replaced the lift pump and that lasted from the shop to the store. What was happening was since they took out the sulfer in the fuel you lost most of the lubricant for the pump and they were failing between 70-90,000 miles. There is only a thin hardened layer on the pump, and once it wore thru it they failed. One of the preventitive fixes is to add a additional lift pump, and I think there is a even better lift pump now(aftermarket). I have heard of some pumps going longer, but the owners put in the additive pretty regularly.

OT,

Call me.... (210)216-6275

Try this first. While it is running break each of the fittings loose one at a time at the injector pump. It may idle a little rough for a seconds as you tighten them back up. By the time you get to #6 it should pur like a kitten... Take it out and drive it...

Also, sometimes but few you may need to reset the negative posts on the batteries. You will need to relearn everything by driving it which may also involve several key on drives followed by key off and again... ( both stop & gp streets and highway)

Does this vehicle have a tuner or chip?

Mark

oh has computer been messed with lately?

sent you a pm mac 70 ..... i checked the fuel pressure off the lift pump... it was 13 psi at idle .9 at full throtle .... motor sputterd at hard throtle up ..also .the rpm jumps at idle .. and then smooths out ... also something else .at full throtle .in park it starts to act like it is flooding .blue smoke .. so thats seems to me like its the injector pump ....... i changed the crank sensor .that was one cold ..and cleared what codes it had ..and drove it ..the check .ing light came back on and now all it said was injector control timeing .something like that ... i forgot what the code number was .so ill check it later for you mac 70 and get you that number ...

kiss i tried all that .thanks ..i cleared all codes with a scanner .

i know its like sooo highly unlikely but, ive heard if you can fit a ping pong ball into someones gas tank without dimpeling it that it will cause that same problem once it gets sucked to the bottem of the tank. Was a prank my buddies use to talk about doing in H.S. highly unlike and dont even know. but just thought id throw it out there for you to atleast laugh. sorry for no real imput.

I just had my 2004 24v in the shop for surging like it was out of fuel then coming back on and then going WOT and not being able to get it whoa'd down. There was an air/fuel mixture code and a dirty fuel filter. Both corrected and no further problem. I do have a chip.

On edit: I also had it in for something similar to what you had last year, and believe it or not, it was a wiring harness connected to the A/C compressor that they have had a problem with shorting out, and when it does it kills the power to the engine.

is there a chip, tuner or some kind of power adder on this truck. Im not saying pump at this point but am getting close....

no sir .it is just a plain old truck .nothing fancy ..just keeps setting the code 216 ...injector timeing control circuit ..... so something is running out of time after running it down the highway at 65 mph ..not sure if the is in the pump ..but it is really starting to look that way ..blue moon thanks ill look into that ac wireing ..

After reading you complaint issues with you 5.9 diesel, I can assure this,

You will need to reploace the injection pump, to get this code to go away, its a code that tells us the pump cannot reach the injection timing requested by the ecm, They act like fuel starvation but it is not true, Also you will need a fuel transfer pump and I always replace the overflo valve when I put these pumps on, Be sure to install new fuel filter, A 12 valve will act the same way but it will slip timing at the drive gear. They are much cheaper to fix. Anyway if we can be of more assistance please pm me or mac70 we do diesel well.

After reading you complaint issues with you 5.9 diesel, I can assure this,

You will need to reploace the injection pump, to get this code to go away, its a code that tells us the pump cannot reach the injection timing requested by the ecm, They act like fuel starvation but it is not true, Also you will need a fuel transfer pump and I always replace the overflo valve when I put these pumps on, Be sure to install new fuel filter, A 12 valve will act the same way but it will slip timing at the drive gear. They are much cheaper to fix. Anyway if we can be of more assistance please pm me or mac70 we do diesel well.

thanks . after further review .came to the same conclusion ..needs a pump .....

Archived