Billy Griswold

jakdad

Does anyone have pics of Billy's old 9 car? Hopefully someone can post several pics. We would also like to see his Meyer Speedway car. I think it was a 38 Chevy coupe. Not sure.

Thanks,

Jim

Looks like the Billy Griswold Modified # 9 that he drove at Meyer Spdwy in the early 60s, and then raced it at the old Cleveland TX Spdwy in the mid/late 60s. I believe the lady is possibly Martha Wideman out of Lufkin.

And it also looks like the old Playland coupe. When raced at Playland, it had a white stripe around the belt line, if it's the same car.

I'm not sure Jim, but the only car I remember Billy Griswold racing regularly at Playland Spdwy/Houston was the Modified #9 that he drove in about '59 & '60, that was a '32 Ford body/frame that was channeled and had an enlarged rear window opening. I believe they ran the GMC Motor at least part of the time, if not exclusivley. The pictured car appears to be a '37-'39 GM Coupe body/frame with the body shortened by removal of the rear sidewindow area/section behind the door post. They may have used the GMC Motor in it also, at least on dirt at Cleveland and/or Beaumont.

Larry, Now that you mention it, the windshield post looks like the later coupe. This may be the old Meyer Speedway coupe. Makes more sense. I think the old playland coupe wound up at Cleveland or Navasota. Maybe Mark knows. I think he ran with some of those folks.

Jim,

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall a previous post regarding some Houston cars/drivers racing with the Super Modifieds at Austin's 1/4 M oval in the early '60s. Possibly, and this is just a guess, some of the old Playland era Modifieds may have raced there. As I recall, the Austin Spdwy, aka Speedorama, was very similiar to Playland Spdwy. So, maybe someone over near I-35 has a picture or two.

RETrott. You're right about the Playland car,& yes we did have a GMC 6 cyl with an aluminum Fisher head. Billy was pretty much unbeatable there.When we went to the 1/2 mile (Meyer) we did use a 38 Chev coupe body shortened down with the rear deck swiss cheesed, holes drilled by me.We did run the Fisher 6 for a short while, but we couldn't keep a bottom end in it so Johnny bought the old Playland # 57 car that George Nash had, took the v8 " refreshed" it a little put it in the 9 car & went to Meyer with it. It was fast but not as fast as Billy Wade, who just about owned the track there.As far as Cleveland or Beaumont I don't recall ever going there. We did go to Austin Speedarama a few times.I'll ask Jimmy Griswold the next time I see him about Cleveland & Beaumont.

Buddy,

What kind of body/frame was the #77 Super Modified? A later post by Geezer passed along some news regarding a George Nash driven Modified from '59-'60, and possibly earlier. As I recall, that car was either a '33 or '34 Ford Coupe body/frame. Not a '32, but it was blue, possibly metallic blue. My only trip to Speed-O-Rama was '64, and they only had Stock Cars that night. The only driver I relate to from that night was Waldo Harper, driving I believe a '54, Ford business coupe body/frame car. Possibly the same car he raced at Pan American in '66. Had a wing at PanAm.

Geezer,

I'm thinking that Billy Griswold and the modified '38 Chevy Coupe Modified #9 won the '64 Houston Modified Championship. And, I have to ask, if so, was it with the same engine that had raced at Playland in the George Nash #57 Modified?

RETrott Yes that was the car that Johnny bought from George after we found the 6cyl could'

nt hold up on the 1/2 mile at Meyer.Truthfully though I don't remember Johnny's car winning a championship at Meyer. If I remember those were kinda reserved for Billy Wade,he had about the fastest car out there either that or he just out drove everyone else.If my memory which isn't so good anymore serves me his stiffest competition was M.J., Charles Ray in the Cates bros. Franks Ice House car.& Bill Blumrick in Luthers car.And of course Griswold. Jimmy Griswold lives in Groveton now, I'm going to see him in a few weeks I'll make some notes to ask him, Playland/ Meyer is about all we talk about when we see each other.He doesn't have a bunch of over the hill bench racers out in the boonies to talk to about these things.My brother is married to Sam Cates daughter Carol but she's not much help, & all the Cates brothers a gone now except possibly Boot & no one knows where he is or if he's still alive or not. Tim's son James still races according to my brother don't know where though maybe Battleground.

Just had another thought, I'm meeting Don Anderson, Ronnie Chumley, & Foyt sometime next week for lunch, I'll quiz Ronnie about some of these things, I know he'll remember something. Even A.J. can come up with something I'll bet

RETrott,

I believe the body on that 77 car was originally a two door sedan body. Not a coupe like most. Of course it had been narrowed, shortened and cut down every which-a-way by the time it was mounted on that frame. I remember it being a pretty sharp looking car at the time.

There is a pic of Waldo in that '54 Ford #11 you spoke of. It was his first stocker, and a fast one. You can find it if you go to one of Txtom's posts and click on the line "racing pics". Then click on the Bush Family collection. It is the middle column, 3rd pic down. By the time that pic was taken, the car looked pretty banged up, but was still fast.

hey trotter, how are you? i haven't been in this subject area for a bit, but dad fixed all the trannies for billy and johnny reif, from playland to meyer and then on to dirt at cleveland, navasota, and big h. george mahl ended up with that ole 9 car from meyer in the early 70's and built it to run again at navasota because billy had a newer one built, george tried to do something with it, but he just never could drive like billy nor could very many more. george wrecked it real bad and gave up on rebuilding it, i got it from him in the mid 80's to restore it, but it was to much work, it still had the old 3/4 rearend in it.

billy drove my dad's bronco at cleveland sometimes and dad drove it the other times, then both of them ran at the old almeda track for a season and then went on to navasota. i worked on the wrecker at moody & clary speedway with ole red smith in the infield. billy drove the 9 mod and dad drove the 2 mod, billy also drove the 79 stockcar for pop and clayton davis, jimmy built a stockcar and ran there also, norman pierce drove the 5 stockcar that belong to bobby buffington. roy cody drove the 30 car of richard kings. jerry ayler was a new driver in the six cylinder class as was howard willis.we all enjoyed navasota until a new dirt track called big h opened, them everybody left navasota high and dry.

i remember dad and i going down on 26th. street to billy car lot a many times and staying there late to help on billy's car, if i'm not mistaking, didn't gene howard do a lot of work on billy's car along with building an old 56 ford stockcar, i know gene was a ford man, just don't know what ever happen to him?

i talk to my youngest sister at times and she told me that jimmy don't live far from her and raises boar goats, she said he changed his last name back to before billy adopted him, which i believe was elliot. i ask her to get me his phone number so i can call him, he has so many trophies and pictures, it's unreal, i seen championship trophies from playland and meyer, when we would go to billy house, i would just stand in his living room and marvel at all he had won.

i don't get to come on here as often as i would like and bring back the memories of our youth, but you guy's try to keep me in the loop and i'll see what else i can dig up, thanks, little harris ( del )

p.s. those pictures at the top of this subject i posted on this site sometime back, i have more old pic.'s from the old cleveland track, even one where dad hit the light pole in the infield, i got these from a 70+ year old fan of mine that passed away last year, ms. beverly wood (rip)and thanks.

Pro 2000 Are you one of the Harris boys?, Sounds like it if so I knew your dad.You were asking about Gene Howard, yes he did do a lot of work for Billy & Jimmy both, unfortunantly Gene died a long time ago.The last time I was at Jimmy's house in Groveton he mentioned that your sister lived not far from him.He's married again, never thought he would after Sharon died, but he seems happy again, and quit drinking too.You may not remember me I worked for Johnny mostly after school though, a lot of people thought I was his adopted son 'cuz I was usually with him wherever he went. My nickname is Butch I don't have Jimmy's phone number but I'm gonna be up there in a few weeks I'll see if I can get it, you know how he is about his privacy.You mentioned Billy's trophies, did you ever go to Johnny's house? He had a couple as big as most people's console tv sets plus all the other's.I don't know what happened to all of them after Sarah died, the only other one he had to leave them to was his daughter Patty or me & I never saw her after Johnny died, then Jimmy told me that she had died too. I thought sure that either Jimmy or I would get at least some of them.Gone too is the black 38 chevy coupe street rod he had, at one time in the shop behind his house he had side by side his 38 coupe & Luthers which was a twin to Johnny's..Johnny actually told me once that he wanted me to have the car if anything happened to him,but I think he had to sell it during some hard times.I still miss Johnny a lot after all these years, ever time I pass Shepherd & 27th where his old shop was across from Billy's Big 10 tire store I get nostalgic.I'll let you know when I see Jimmy.

Hey 2000 you mentioned you had the old meyer 9 car at one time, any chance you still have it or know where it is? Ronnie Chumley was looking for an old Meyer car a few weeks ago, & for some reason Don Anderson thought I had it. I had forgot who bought it from Johnny If you still have it or it hasn't been crushed yet I'd like to see it.

Just had another thought, I'm meeting Don Anderson, Ronnie Chumley, & Foyt sometime next week for lunch, I'll quiz Ronnie about some of these things, I know he'll remember something. Even A.J. can come up with something I'll bet

AJ may not make it. He may be spending some time with Paul Tracy....................... :D:D:D

Hey Del,

I've been kinda wondering what you were up to. We are stilling pushing for history lessons, so please add all you can. Sounds like Geezer knows you and your Dad. Are you still asphalt racing? Someday I'll try and make it over toward Lake Houston on a Saturday evening. Somewhile back we had dinner at the TRH on Hwy 6 N/US 290 and saw Jeanett Huff and her Stock Car, but she seemed a little busy so I didn't try and talk to her.

geez, i am little harris that ran around that ole greasy trans. shop on parker rd., dad is in a nursing home in groveton, he don't remember much any more, he's 84 years old now and has had parkins disease for more than 20+ years now. he comes and goes with memory.

i can remember mom and i taking a tranny down to johnny's garage or drop one off by billy's for the race car, i can't count the times we would build different ratio's and gear setups for the cars to run at playland and then a different one for meyer, meyer was so much bigger that we started building close ratio tranny's and trying other rearend ratio's until we found the right gear for meyer. i built so many 4 bolt side plate short 3 speeds, that i could build one with my eye's shut. we ground the gears with a hand grinder to keep them from jumping out of gear. i setup more rearends than most dealerships ever seen, for circle track, drag cars like buddy warrens, and street rods. i can remember when ronnie chumley was a high school kid and dad built his tranny's for about every racecar he ever owned. chuck gentry had the ole a c auto parts on north shepherd and we stocked rebuilt trannny's there for them to sale, chuck owned the 51 and 15 mod's, charlie ritter drove one of them for chuck.

i think if i remember right, you were just a little older than me about the same age as my oldest brother ricky, him and jimmy was about the same age, rick passed away in 2001 with cancer. i also remember that old black chevy truck that johnny owned, i always wanted that old truck, never knew what happen to it? i mis those ole day's and will never see them again, but i believe, if you were born in the 40's, 50's, or early 60's, growing up around the houston area track's, it was the best years of your life.

that old number 9 car after george mahl got thru with it, there wasn't anything left, i kept the old rearend for years and a guy came to me with a water well drilling rig that had broken the ring and pinion, i sold him that ole rearend to get him going again, lawrence marshall had sent him to me, the last time i seen that rearend, it was drilling for water out off of hwy. 6 west of hempstead.

i know enough about those old modifieds to build one and here in the near future, i would like to do that, i'll just have to try and find me another banjo rearend, ha!ha!ha!

jakdad, and retrott, i mis hearing from you guy's and i promise that i will try to comunicate more often, i did run across old marvin ottmer that ran years ago and he gave me pic's to copy, i did post some of them on here somewhere, i am looking for others like, roy cody, norman pierce, blackie lofenger, charlie ritter, george nash, bill blumrick, jackie woosley, walter ballard, and some of the ole bronco drivers, GOD, i mis this stuff.

my name is del harris, everyone only knew me as little harris, ronnie tells me to this day about me running around that ole greasy trans. shop with no shoes on, grease from my head to my feet, mom always made me take an ole varsol rag and wipe off before i could get into he tub for a bath, boy, that was the good ole days, no doubt!!!

you guy's can call me anytime at 281-808-5475, i live on ih-45n. 16 miles north of hwy. 30 in huntsville, i got enough property and frontage on 45 feeder to build another meyer speedway, the only catch is, my wife would kill me!!!

she's asking me if i will get off of this thing and come to bed, i guess i will before she tells me to get off the computor, ya'll have a good evening and give me a call sometime, we done lost a lot of our mentors, so we better get together while we can, thanks, del harris

jakdad, i forgot to mention, the jimmy griswold that owned the trans. shop, was a different jimmy griswold, he was a little short fat boy that did automatic's only, he had us to build his standards, we did business with him for a little while and then i don't know what happen to him and dad's relationship, but i think it was something to do with money? thanks, del

Del: When you said your dad built transmissions for Johnny I knew who it had to be, I remember you & Ricky, & yes I'm a little older than you Ricky, & Jimmy. I dated Virginia (Jimmy's sister) for awhile, she even made several red shirts with the lightining bolt 9 on the back for me.Sorry to hear about your dad, thinking about it I think Jimmy told me about it.I can't remember how many times I took transmissions to the shop on Parker for Johnny,he didn't want anybody but your dad touching his transmissions. old top loader Packard boxes.Thanks for straightening out the Jimmy Griswold Transmission shop deal, I've been meaning to post on here that's another Jimmy Griswold.Who would have ever thought he would be raising goats? Saw Johnny Mancuso a few days ago, he said he sold his racing operation, but kept the Motorcycle stores, he bought a place in Plantersville & is raising cutting horses.I told him what Jimmy 's doing, he said what does he know about goats? I said I don't know probably as much as you know about cutting horses.

That old black truck of Johnny's, thats something else I wanted badly but don't know what happened to it after he died, I lost contact with Sarah, didn'tknow she died 'till awhile after it happened, & just found out through Jimmy that Patty (his daughter) had died also, so there's no one left Johnny had no brother's or sisters that I know of.The next one close to him would have been Luther but he's been gone a long time too, & you cant hardly talk to Tommy, Luther's son,he told me he didn't know anything at all about the people connected to those times.

Archived