GREAT NEWS FOR SPORTS MOD AT THR ON 5/9/09

Happycoop

I think the asphalt tracks would have a better turn out if the rules were IMCA and use the hoosier 500 only. Guys from the dirt who were atleast curious would show up and possibly be converted. But there are not many racers that will show up knowing that they are at a complete disadvantage. And yes I know there will be less traction with the 500 but it would probably make for better racing. Thats just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

why would THR go to outlaw rules when there are over 400 registered imca mods (or drivers) in this state? to get those five or six from a 150 miles away?

Not saying thay should. Each track should run what ever rules they feel will bring in the most cars until the car counts are high enough to make adjustments to unify all the tracks.

I don't have an actual dog in this one, but...

1) The Goodyears are a very very economical tire. Far more economical than running any tire made to run on the dirt. Ask the guys running the Limited Mods at HMP. I talked to and recorded several interviews with Limited Mod drivers last night at THR and to a man they are more than satisfied with the Goodyears. In fact, most said they planning on running the same tires for several weeks since they wear so well. The other good thing about the Goodyears is that they are very repeatable. Not much, if any, falling off as they go through heat cycles.

2) I will be offering a suspension seminar (or two) this fall (off season) geared towards Thunder Stocks, Pro Stocks, Grand Stocks and Asphalt Limited Modifieds. Several of the Limited Modified teams I have talked to - both at HMP and THR - have expressed an interest in such a course. If there is enough interest, I will hold the seminar both in Houston and in Kyle.

In this course I WILL NOT be teaching the Big Bar/soft spring setups that the top-end (high downforce) divisions currently run. I'll be teaching how conventional suspension systems really work and de-mystifying the technical jargon you find in suspension books, articles and websites. I pretend my Mom is sitting in the front row and teach it so even she would understand it is she wanted to learn.

3) The asphalt Limited Modifieds (or SportMods) should run the same rules at both tracks. This is always a point of contention to be sure, but for the good of racing it needs to be worked out...

Nick

The IMCA rules are just fine and should be standard at any track period!!!!!!!Any track deviating from these rules are just plain not thinking it through!!!!Every dirt track runs some form of these rules and thats one of the main reasons that they flurish!!!!!!!I have run asphalt and dirt,tire bill aside the cost is about the same,they are both fun but I will say it's easier and not as time consuming to go dirt racing.Asphalt is technical and non-forgiving on set-ups with dirt if your off you can drive the car a little different and your still fast.

I wouldn't call it Promoting Dirt racing.. more call it try to see what things work there and what we can learn from..

If we had less practice on Saturday's i believe we would have more on the other days.. (thur/Fri)

Since we don't have Practice to test my car.. i am having to drive down a country road to get my car up to speed to check resolve of the issues...

I am sure Po Po's and Neighbors are love'n me.. & i can't afford the cost to rent the track for just my car..

Aaron, you promoting dirt racing now? :rolleyes: If so, I think LSS has a dirt forum.

The open testing on Thursdays on off weekends were due to lack of participation. On race weekends, we open @ 4:00 PM on Friday and do not leave until Sunday!

Aaron,

The practice sessions on Friday and Saturday are optional. They are not required for race participation. If you don't want to (or can't) practice, then just show up later. Even the the cost is the same on Saturday - whether or not you practice. However, I feel there are plenty of racers who want the practice sessions and would be very upset if we cancelled them.

Debbie.. i am not saying cancel practice friday.. or saturday...

But saturday's session should be a quick hotlap session Max 1 hour for all cars.. and have the pits open later in the day.. Say 3 or 4pm..

And bring back the thur non-race week session so people that break during race day have time to get there stuff right before its too late the friday before the race.. and they can't make the call and support car count. I would gladly spend the $25 and trip to the track to make sure i ain't waist'n Saturday's pit pass.. & costs..

Although we (the staff) would love to get a later start in the day (would beat the heck out of the 14-15 hours we currently spend at the track on Saturday), I'm not sure that the majority of the racers would agree with you. We tried the Thursday practice sessions - rarely got more than 2-3 cars. Also, since you're looking at a change from a financial perspective, I think it would cost the teams more to travel to and from the track on two completely separate days (Thursday and Saturday). Lots of the drivers currently camp out for the weekend, or they don't come to the track at all until Saturday.

Also, we usually have close to 100 race cars on a race weekend. Trying to schedule a one-hour hot lap session for that many cars would be a big challenge.

I don't think we're shutting the door on changes to our schedule, but would the changes really benefit the majority of the drivers?

I think most racers really benefit from the two Saturday practice sessions. I know we do. Y'all are doing a great job......Thank you.

This is my opinion on what Aaron is trying to say.. Im in no way trying to be negative towards THR at all.. I love that track just as much as anyone else and want it to do well.. Id be out there racing this weekend if I had the funds.

I agree although I think what Aaron is pointing out is that we used to show up at 2 or 3 and get 3 practice sessions.. Part of the problem seems that there is more classes these days. Running 6-8 classes in a night is alot to deal with and then youve got classes like the NASKARTS that are getting 2 sessions as well... Its a number of things Im sure but we never used to have the 2 or 3 hours of "dead" time like we do now. We used to get the 3 practice sessions and at times I wish we still did but it is what it is.. I enjoy it no matter what and will always continue to support the local tracks wether they be dirt or asphalt.

As for the Sport Mods, its been said many times that this clas has got to stay as close to dirt rules as it can. Also, you might as well let the cars running on outlaw rules come run if they want. Its not like your really competing for a championship yet, you might as well get your car counts up and see how the cars (outlaw/IMCA) run together and work your kinks out from there. The main thing is car count. Let em come to THR and Houston to play... Thats all it is right now is play. You guys are pretty much a experiment right now so you might as well toy with the different ways you guys could run together. There has got to be some unity at some point for these tracks to survive. Theres unity among ALOT of dirt tracks so the asphalt guys might as well try it out themselves.

Aaron, I've got to disagree with you on this one. I understand that in your current situation, a Thursday practice session would be a great thing. However, a lot of people can't make the Thursday practice sessions because of work or other committments. Even if we could make a Thurs practice, the cost is many times not in the budget. If we practice on Saturday, there is no additional cost.

Personally, I would not be in favor of shortening the Saturday schedule and replacing it with Thursday sessions.

Maybe a compromise would be for the track to schedule a Thursday practice once a month or so?

Archived