1987 camaro z28 tpi 305

AARC67

Alright guys, I'm out of ideas and just about fed up! Irecently bought this car for cheap with all the fixings. I drive it to work around 12 miles one way. I could set my clock as when the check engine light will come on.(around 4-5 miles into the drive) I have done a tuneup that includes fuel filter, air cleaner,cat converter,wires,plugs, coil,cap,and rotor. The cars performance is impressive. BUT, if I were to press the brake with a little aggression the car will turn off.( 2 out of 5 times) It also does this when I take sharp turns ,which makes me believe its gas or maybe vacuum. The light does not bring up any codes. I kinda hope its fuel pump(screw sensors and electonics) It's a high mileage car ,but runs exceptionally well. There are no upgrades done to this car. I always have used high octane gas in all my vehicles (when under $2.50 a gallon). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. FRED

Vacuum leak...

ok, sharp turns? so you are being aggressive on the brakes thus it dies? or are you just making sharp turns? if it is the second? try adjusting idle up. Low idle wont cause issues but it should be at least 800 id think...

If I'm on the freeway and some dumbass backs traffic up suddenly, I would press the brakes a little harder than usual while keeping my foot on the gas because I know what happens next, it dies. Like I said before, this happens 2 out of 5 times. This is what makes me think the fuel pickup or float may be going south. So I turn the car back on before I rearend the idiot that caused this,and all is back to normal,engine light is out and the car runs great. I then check codes and nothing comes up.I have learned to drive the car without the car cutting out. I really enjoy driving this car and my wife won't let me buy another street rod,(YET) I will try idling up a little up for now. Thanks

it sounds like a vacuum leak in the vacuum backup brake booster of the brake system.

i would start at the brake booster and work backward. spraying a solution works best on lines under pressure not vacuum.I would pull the line and replace it. vacuum line is very cheap and breaks down eventually anyways. take the old one with you to the parts store to match it up. they make a few different sizes. hopefully it is just a line and not in the booster but even that is not that bad.

what can happen is if that diaphram is bad inside, or the hose coming to it, when you hit the brakes,, well,.,, there ya go, the vacuum leak goes into full effect and the car can't handle it thus it dies.

if the diaphram is bad then thats an easy thing to fix and can be done cheaply.

Thats why I gave up racing!(lol) Now I have a street rod and I can't even figure that out. I need alot of money,wisdom, or alot of help. I wiil fix your racecar if you fix my street rod, so we could both suck together.

to find a vaccum leak dont use soulution use starter fluid... if yoiu hit the spot it will rev up....... :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived