CALLING ALL SPORT MODS

lilmodified

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nightmoves99...i think u got it...most dirt drivers don't know how easy it is to go from dirt to asphalt setups...and, ur right, it doesn't take long to do it...i also agree that if more guys that know the setups and what to change to drive asphalt would help the guys that have never switched, it would get a whole lot more sport-mods to the asphalt tracks...

and, like u said...there are tons of sport-mods out there, i just think that we need to help the dirt-only guys get on the asphalt...

again, i'd love to see more of y'all on the track at THR...

there is nothing better than the sport-mods..always fun, always entertaining, and a joy to watch...

and, thanks for the input..hopefully it will change some minds about the dirt/ashpalt wall we seem to be going against.....

They are doing that in Houston. 2 weeks ago at Fri practice there was help for anyone that wanted it. A couple of cars made big gains and one came within 40 feet of winning Sat. night. It is being advertised to the Houston area limited dirt drivers that Fri practice is open to any sportmod free of charge thanks to United Transport, and setup help will be provided if asked for. I heard their will be a couple of dirt cars out this week, possibly. Could be something you guys could try at THR?

thanks whayskwhy!

i didn't know houston was doing that (guess i should read their website more often, huh? lol), but, it's a great idea!

i'll post it in THR's forum and email the track...maybe we can get something going?

we appreciate the info!

The idea in Corpus was to keep the same rules so that you could run both tracks without changing much but maybe a spring, shock, or sway bar. But they went and allowed an asphalt racing tire. That is why they don't have any sport mods. Cool class though. Wish I had one.

in my opinion, the sport mods are the GREATEST! i fell in love w/these little cars the first time i saw them race...and, everyone i know that races them loves to drive 'em....

i know there are a few cars in corpus that will run asphalt, but like here in austin, there aren't many...

and, the asphalt races (from the fans standpoint) are always way different than on dirt...but, both are equally entertaining...

The idea in Corpus was to keep the same rules so that you could run both tracks without changing much but maybe a spring, shock, or sway bar. But they went and allowed an asphalt racing tire. That is why they don't have any sport mods. Cool class though. Wish I had one.

Hit the nail on the head..... Glad to see someone bring this up. They should stick to the exact same thing the IMCA cars run. Tires and all. If need be then score them by hand during their race also so there is no need for a transponders. Offer up a $500 purse with a $3000 or something like the Big Dog Shootout at the end of the year and Id be willing to bet you could start to get 16+ fields of cars. The othe rthing is none of them are going to throw their points race away on dirt by skipping out on a race either. This class could work if it was kept as a "DIRT" class where no asphalt tires were allowed. The dirt tire might not hook up the best but who in their right mind is going to buy a set of asphalt tires to run every now and then when they could attend quite a few big shows aroudn the state any weekend?

The problem with the dirt tire is there not safe. We tried running them in Houston, and after about 15 20 laps they are burned up and the cords are showing. No way the class would have any sort of stability if the racers have to go through 2 sets of tires just for one night.

The problem with the dirt tire is there not safe. We tried running them in Houston, and after about 15 20 laps they are burned up and the cords are showing. No way the class would have any sort of stability if the racers have to go through 2 sets of tires just for one night.

Not sure if IMCA is still running the tires they were 5 years ago but I thought some guys had run them on asphalt and they held up? The tire Im thinking of was the G-60 or something like that... Maybe I stand corrected on the tire issue but either way the class has got to stay as close to a "dirt" type class as it can. The tires will be the biggest issue... Youve already got a asphalt modified division even though they are extremely different than they were 5 years ago also but either way, its going to be tough to get another asphalt modified division going when your trying to draw the dirt cars in. That was the idea with TAMs also and there were a few dirt cars that ran with the series at first but were not competitive on a regular basis. You already have to many classes to begin with on asphalt and only a certain amount of drivers there to fill the seats. Do away with the super stock class and the sport mods will most likely be the class to fill that void. Either way, there are ALOT of dirt tracks for dirt cars to choose from on any given friday or saturday night. What makes asphalt so special that they are going to drop the coin on a set of tires to run it. The other side of this is Im not sure Austin is home to very many Sport Mods or San Antonio for that matter. I know the Houston and Dallas areas probably have quite a few around the area but the nearest track to Austint hat runs them on dirt is Heart O Texas, right?

When i bought my sportmod i was going to run at thr when they had the races, i have two problems, the tires and local points. If we miss one race it pretty much kills any chance of contending for the points, i would for sure make a special sunday race or an end of the year race if they could get that together. I drove my uncles car at Longhorn years ago and had fun, would love to get the yellow and red 44 out on the pavement.

joe

If tires are an issue maybe the tracks can collect some of the used pull-off's of the goodyears or whom ever and give them to those cars that they are trying to entice to get them started then they can work on a relationship with certain teams that go though sets of tires. Im sure there are enough goodyears to go around and I have heard they are better once they get some wear into them anyway... That has to be a better option than running the soft dirt tires... JMO

It is hard to believe that people have issues about buying tires and transponders for a sport mod but want a good purse. In my opinion, if you want to show up like a part time class, why should they pay you at all? Seems too easy to find a reason not to show up. Thanks to the guys who do show up, it is cool to watch these guys.

Not sure if IMCA is still running the tires they were 5 years ago but I thought some guys had run them on asphalt and they held up? The tire Im thinking of was the G-60 or something like that... Maybe I stand corrected on the tire issue but either way the class has got to stay as close to a "dirt" type class as it can. The tires will be the biggest issue... Youve already got a asphalt modified division even though they are extremely different than they were 5 years ago also but either way, its going to be tough to get another asphalt modified division going when your trying to draw the dirt cars in. That was the idea with TAMs also and there were a few dirt cars that ran with the series at first but were not competitive on a regular basis. You already have to many classes to begin with on asphalt and only a certain amount of drivers there to fill the seats. Do away with the super stock class and the sport mods will most likely be the class to fill that void. Either way, there are ALOT of dirt tracks for dirt cars to choose from on any given friday or saturday night. What makes asphalt so special that they are going to drop the coin on a set of tires to run it. The other side of this is Im not sure Austin is home to very many Sport Mods or San Antonio for that matter. I know the Houston and Dallas areas probably have quite a few around the area but the nearest track to Austint hat runs them on dirt is Heart O Texas, right?

The dirt sport mod tire is a Hoosier 500. It's a really soft tire with soft side wall. The G60 wouldn't be too bad of a tire as far as longevity goes, but then your back to having to buy a different tire.

about 6 years ago we were runnin the pure stock class at the dirt track in pleasanton on fridays.the Corpus asphalt track invited cars down to run on the same rules and tires.back then they were g-60 american racers.the only change we did on the car was tire pressure and we actually won a few.it was a blast until the locals got affended and then we had to run their tires or add 100 lbs of weight to the car.well...we did both,broke the track record,won that particular race and was told not to bring that car back...LOL..it was fun. JMO.you can do it... :lol::lol:

To the guys that don't want to or can't buy a set of tires to run on the asphalt tracks ,if you can't find some take offs at the track, just remember how many times at the dirt tracks you get your tires and wheels bent or torn up from someone out of control on a super sloppy track or hitting one of the potholes that come up in the surface after the hot laps or first set of heats.All anyone is trying to say is just try it you might like it.We have raced on both and had fun on both , as far as dirt cars not being competitive on asphalt ,just do your homework and set the car up right ,make sure it's square ,ride heights are good and you might be surprised how fast that little old dirt car can be. just my opinion. B)

For the sport mod rules at Thunder Hill go on the IMCA.com and under series go to Southern sport modifieds, this is the rules THR uses with the exception that a swaybar is allowed and tire options or call Jack Sandifer at 512 281 5489

I think THR used the Southern IMCA rules and just modified the sections on tires and mufflers. But I'm not the best source for the technical stuff. If you have any questions, please contact Jack Sandefur at 512-281-5489.

ok, i've been outta pocket for a few days, but i'm back and was scrolling thru the replies on the sport-mods....seems that not only is money an issue getting set up at an asphalt track, but the set-ups and rules are confusing from track to track, too....

i've talked w/a couple drivers an read the opinions in here and it seems there could be a threat to the "true" sport-mod class...i would hate to see this class wind up "modified" out of existence...

also, in my discussions with the drivers, they have all said they would be more than willing to help get dirt-only drivers set-up for asphalt...not giving out any vital info, but the ballpark...and, the switch really is quite simple, and don't take very long at all....

as for any special promotions or deals at thr to get the dirt drivers there, i haven't had the chance to email the track to ask questions, yet, but i will....hopefully, we will soon see more sport-mods there...

i really do appreciate all the input from everyone! it's great to see all the support and know how many people are out there that love this class and these little hotrods as much as i do....

again...any ideas that anyone has, please let me know and we will see what we can do to grow this class and have tons of fun together!!

thanks, again, everyone!

but the set-ups and rules are confusing from track to track, too....

once again THR is IMCA! what's confusing about that?

not harping at you , just getting frusterated with it being made harder to understand that it actually is.

i do appreciate what you are wanting to do......i've only ran 2 races in this class and it is a blast. i also think this class has alot of potential to be a VERY BIG thing. for the life of me i can not understand why it's not taking off, BUT then when i come on here all i hear are excuses and confusion. THAT does'nt make sense to me.

but the set-ups and rules are confusing from track to track, too....

once again THR is IMCA! what's confusing about that?

not harping at you , just getting frusterated with it being made harder to understand that it actually is.

i do appreciate what you are wanting to do......i've only ran 2 races in this class and it is a blast. i also think this class has alot of potential to be a VERY BIG thing. for the life of me i can not understand why it's not taking off, BUT then when i come on here all i hear are excuses and confusion. THAT does'nt make sense to me.

Are you racing sportmods now? So how many cars you got now? What time and day do you guys race now. What classes are being run there?

Archived