'07 F-250 6.0 Diesel

CC57

Mulling over whether to purchase a low-mileage '07 F-250 I found. Wonder if anyone has any first-hand experience (own one, or have worked on one, or personal friend has one, etc.) on the vehicle.

Good engine in these trucks or not? (please no Ford vsd Chevy slams here :rolleyes: ) Any horror stories on the 6.0? Or have good reports been logged on the 6.0?

I had a '96 with the 7.3. Wish now I hadn't of got rid of the truck.

Anyway, thanks all

egr and oil cooler issues. I have worked on enough of them to not want one. If you don't put performance parts on it you have a better chance at just changing the oil and not major repairs. If you do want to make it a hot rod you want to put head studs on it. They have plenty of power stock and decent fuel milage. The 6.4's that my customers on range between 5-8 mpg. The good part is in 06 and 07 they had most of the issues figure out and then pulled the plug so the later the better. I have one 06 with a 6.0 that all I have done is change the oil in it, over 100k and pulls a 28ft trailer every day loaded.

FORD'S LAST GOOD DIESEL was the 7.3 series. It had a few injector/pump problems but pretty dependable. As soon as most bugs were worked out then came the awful 6.0 version. This was a lemon if there ever was one. Very,very few dependable ones,most with injector,egr,cooler problems that would dump water into the engine causing other problems. Ford's last mistake the twin turbo diesel is another lemon. Very few dependable ones coming off the line,lots with serious issues are being sold. I just found a very nice low mileage 2002 F-550 4X4 with the 7.3 diesel. I recommend if you do buy look for 2002 or older. Cheaper,dependable and easier to work on. Also most engine work on the 6.0 requires that the whole cab assembly be pulled. Good luck in your purchase .

I have a module I build that depending on the calibration will get a stock 7.3 between 2 and 5 miles per gallon more. I have gotten 57Hp & 90 ft/lbs torque more on a stock 2001 F-250 2 wheel drive on a Mustang Dyno. No add ons period.

I drive a 2002 F-350 4X4 with cold air intake, Stainless Bully Dog 4" Turboback exhaust, Superchips 1705 tri-module and one of our Custom Control Modules "Pillbox" modules. I use the "Pillbox" to control the fuel where the SC1705 is limited in their programming as it is a canned tune. The truck is scary fast.

PM me if you get a 7.3 I will give you a racer discount on a module and work with you on any add ons.

Mark

at work i drive an 05' 550 with 87k miles and its been in our shop 2 times for the egr issue and once for a turbo. it seriously lacks ballz in my opinion. id rather drive our 98 int 4700 with the 7.3 than my 550.

Thanks all for the replies.

Between what I've read here and elsewhere I think I'll pass on any F-series with a 6.0 in it.

Mark, thanks for the info, but I want to get something 1 or 2 years old at the most. We're (the wife and I) are the type to keep our cars for around 10 years, as evidenced by the fact that she's about to get rid of her 2000 Sable and get a new car. And I'm going to get rid of my '99 Suburban and get a truck.

Thanks again all

Thanks all for the replies.

Between what I've read here and elsewhere I think I'll pass on any F-series with a 6.0 in it.

Mark, thanks for the info, but I want to get something 1 or 2 years old at the most. We're (the wife and I) are the type to keep our cars for around 10 years, as evidenced by the fact that she's about to get rid of her 2000 Sable and get a new car. And I'm going to get rid of my '99 Suburban and get a truck.

Thanks again all

I normally dont suggest Chevy, but the D-max's with the Allison trannies were hard to beat a year or two back.

Mark

I got a 1999 f 350 7.3 345 th on it good( mpg 17) cam senser went out , Just keep the oil changed

I have a 99 f 350 and I recieved a recall on the cam position sensor about a month ago. A few days after I got the notice it started dying once in a while. Was said cps that was causing it. Thought the way it all went down was kinda funny.

I have some add ons but depending on the mash factor I get about 20 mpg on the hwy,16-17 in town and bout 14-15 towing.

I HAD AN 06 6.0 WORST ENGINE EVER TRUCK WAS VERY NICE AFTER THE THIRD TIME PULLING THE CAB TO FIX HEAD GASKET/ INJECTOR / INJECTOR THEY PINCHED A WIRE PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER AND IT CAUGHT ON FIRE :( LOST A BUNCH OF MONEY BUY GAP INSURANCE TRUCK HAD 19 K ON IT

I have owned all the big three trucks, i had a few 7.3 powerstrokes, decent reliable engines. i thought they had alot of power, till i drove a dodge, so i swapped all my fords for dodges, weak link was the transmissions, and front ends on the dodges, the fords were injectors and pumps, i purchased my first chevy dmax 2 years ago, with alot of thinking before i bought it, it has been in the shop once for a wheelbearing, it has 150,000 miles, i am very happy with the chevy. all of them were 4x4 diesels. good luck with whatever you purchace, and like greg said, dont forget the gap..............................

I traded my chevy diesel for a ford with a 7.3 back in 2000 and I havent look backed I still have it with 340000 miles on it. Besides cam position sensor and alt. and front hub. everything is still runnin like a timex. And with a flashpaq (adds up to 110 hp)it tows like a train and will burn a set of 35" all terains right off.when or if this engine breaks...I'll just fix it .

• 4 weeks later...

I have heard nothing good about the 6.0s and having replaced a HPOP on a 2003 Excursion a few weeks ago, all I can say is not one of Fords better ideas.. BTW, the X is back now with EGR cooler and turbo issues - 100K miles..

My '96 7.3 is going strong at 275K. I've had it for 100K of those and all I have done is two water pumps, a fuel pump, CPS, glow plugs, AC dryer and alternator. I guess I'll finally do tranny fluid and filter since I never have and don't have a clue if the former owner did. As far as I can tell it is the original A4OD but it still shifts crisp and pulls my 31' TT..

Archived