fire safety ?

cperry115

While i understand the concerns being posted about fire trucks and fire fighting equipment. ask yourself this question---- how safe is your racing equipment, suit, gloves, shoes, belts????? i have been to plenty of race tracks and have seen lots and lots of people who have worn/old/torn equipment(suits). so when voicing your concerns over the tracks ability to provide proper equipment for fighting fires look in the mirror and think about the things that are designed to help YOU the racer stay safe. 10 yr old driving suits that have been washed at your house 400 times are not acceptable for any duration of fire. these garments should be cared for by the manufacturers directions . shoes belts helmets are designed for a specific purpose and should be removed from service at the exp dates provided or recertified. your equipment is designed to only help you survive till the water/foam/ dry chem can reach you! and hopefully they get to you quick ! just food for thought! :ph34r:

Flattire,

You are right. To many people want to blame others and not take responsability for their own actions. It is always someone else's fault. Look not only at racing but Everywhere.

The track has a responsability to provide some way to help in a fire but the driver ultimitly carries the responsability. If you feel the track does not do enough then put a fire suppression system in your car. I guarantee it is sure to get to you faster than a fire truck.

Hopefully you also read my Safety Story posted in the Texas Racing section...It touches on exactly that, regarding driver's own personal safety equipment.

BUT......even the best suits, fire suppresion systems will only give you "X" amount in addition time of protection and/or to get yourself out of a burning racecar.....providing, of course, that you are physically able to get yourself out.

Ok wait.... and I'm not defending or pointing fingers here. I am in total favor of fire suppression systems, especially when the car/truck has a nozzle pointed at driver cockpit/leg area. but you have to have one. The fire extinguisher mounted on the center hump or roll bar isnt practical when you are on fire. Even with fire suppression it has to be activated.

Guys mount your firebottles in a good spot. Trying to get more leftside weight with it tucked in the corner where you can't hit the discharge does you no good... Also, mounting pull handle on far right side does you no good either.

Mark

greg won't race without a fire suppression system and he sure as heck wont let me either. (dont tell him i said i wont 'let' him either ;) )

you guys with no GLOVES like hugging your wife or girlfriends, like holding your newborn baby? like have your sense of touch? like being able to ''feel'' your steering wheel?

some women like a man's touch, but hey what do i know? i am just a girl.....lol

YES WE DO TAKE EXTRA MEASURES TO PROTECT OUR SELVES AND WE EXPECT ALL YOU GREAT PEOPLE TO DO THE SAME--YOU ARE ALL WORTH IT SO MISS ONE WEEK AND GET A NEW SUIT, A FIRE SYSTEM, ETC. IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT ---THINK ABOUT IT---ENTRY FEE, FUEL, DIESEL, TIRES---HMMMMM....YOU GUYS ARE SMART SO DO THE SMART THING.

CANDACE

i have had a fire system in jasons car since he first started i have seen to many get burned and it not going to be my son becaused i had to cut corners i could not live with my self after abeline i called and got the fire undergarments and head sock caint be to safe

Candace, I love you. OK, Greg too. You folks absolutely ROCK, and what's cool to me is, people seem to listen to you (God knows why...)

Man, I totally agree and have said the same thing, drivers need to take some responsibility also, get the good stuff, put in/on, test it, pray you never use it. Track owners-same thing. No brainer. Ask Trevor or Russ what they would do different in hindsight. Ask your track what they have to keep you safe....Naw, that won't work...Look around, what do you see? What don't you see? Go by and talk to the fire/ EMS guys. If your gut tells you it's cool, fine. If not, go sit in the stands. Caley would give anything to go back in time and tell Ryan that she had a bad feeling about his race. Don't wait 'till it's too late!!!

i have had a fire system in jasons car since he first started i have seen to many get burned and it not going to be my son becaused i had to cut corners i could not live with my self after abeline i called and got the fire undergarments and head sock caint be to safe

I have tops, bottoms, headsock and socks. Didn't cut corners on helmet or firesuit either. I agree Buck. My street Mustang is getting a firebottle system put in it...

Mark

Archived