Dawn

bigfat

Who this lady is???

post-3652-1235019854.jpg

Dawn,

You said "Mom?" That really makes me feel old. That is like the clothes I used to wear.

Those were the good days. You know, before 500 tv channels & the Wii. We used to have to use aluminum foil as an antennea. You would have to bend it certain ways to get one of the 3 available channels. The tv had 2 knobs that were used to change channels. You had to get up to turn the knob. Sunday nights were special because the whole family would gather in front of the tv to watch the disney movie of the week.

That was when you didn't want to get in trouble at school, because if you did & your parents found out, the punishment was worse than anything the school could have ever dished out. I would beg for the paddling in school.

That was also the time that we were outside as soon as the sun came up & off we went, as long as we were home at dark. Your friends parents were allowed to punish you as if you were their own child. Oh, I can't count the number of times my parents friends would catch me doing something wrong, and they would take me home & tell my parents.

We invented our own toys. We only got a store bought toy at Christmas or our birthday. If we wanted something any other time, we had to earn our own money to get it.

My horse was my best friend. I spent more hours on the back of my horse than I did walking on the ground. We didn't even know what a saddle was either. We could hop high off the ground, because that is how we got on the horses. I don't remember kids being overweight. Our swimming pool was the tank that the cows drank out of, (& pooped in.) We were never sick. You never even heard of people drowning, because it was a must swim situation when you went into the tank. We didn't know to be afraid of the water. Of course, we were swimming when we could walk. Our diving board was the rump of our horses. They just stood in the water & let us dive off of them, over & over & over.

We started driving before we could reach the peddles and see over the steering wheel at the same time. It always took 2 to drive. One to push the peddles & the other to steer. We had to drive to go find the horses in the back pasteurs. Oh how I miss those days.

P.S. I forgot about the sunday afternoon gathering of all the neighbors, in a vacant lot, for the weekly baseball game. All ages participated. The bases were made out of what ever we could find to mark it with. There was no umpire, we didn't need it. We were playing for FUN. Nobody even cared what the score was.

Every few weeks, my mom would get with the other mothers close by & load up all the kids & laundry & off we would go to the laundromat, that was 8 miles away. There would be kids stacked on top of each other in our studebacher. Us kids could play until the clothes came out of the drier, then we were required to help. The rest of the time, the laundry was done in the sink & hung out to dry. We loved going to the laundromat, it wasn't as much work.

Heck Budman, I remember when they were building IH-35. Our house was right next to the interstate. We loved it when the workers got off work, our playground would become much bigger then. We used to ride our bikes on the construction area, playing like we were driving on the "new highway." We had no clue what an interstate was. That highway led us to Japan, France & the likes.

The big construction machinery was fascinating to us. We had never seen anything bigger than a farm tractor. We would sit for hours & watch them work.

MONA I INJOYED EVERY WORD OF IT .HECK I MAY READ IT AGAIN .............. I REMEMBER TRICK OR TREATING ..MAKEING OUR OWN KITES .. WOODEN SKATE BOARDS ... STEEL WHEEL SKATES ... ..... SPINNING TOPS .. SLINKING WAS REALLY BIG ..DANCEN TO THE MONKEYS MUSIC .... BEING ABLE TO WALK DOWN THE STREETS DAY OR NIGHT AND EVERYONE WOULD WAVE ..NOW YOU GET SHOT ...LEAVING YOU HOUSE OPEN ... CHRISMAS DOWN WATER STREET .. DRIVE IN MOVIES ..WITH PIC.S BURNING IN THE CAR .. HECK WHEN WHATABURGER WAS A REAL HAMBURGER ......... EIGHT TRACK TAPES. 45 AND 78 RECORDS AND EVERY ONE HAD A RECORD PLAYER ...AM RADIO BEFORE FM ..DEER HUNTING WITH THE WHOLE FAMILY ..GOING TO LAKE MATHIS FOR TWO WEEKS WITH THE FAMILY ...SUNBURN OUCH ...7 YEARS IN BOY SCOUTS ..CLEANING UP AFTER CELIA ...BUYING MY FIRST CAR ..66 GTO .. AND MOST OF ALL REALLY INJOYING THE RACES AND DREAMING OF THE DAY WHEN I COULD RACE ONE ... I TELL MY SON .POEPLE ARE NOT INJOYING LIFE AS WE USE TO .HE CANT HAVE THE FREEDOM WE HAD ..ITS NOT SAFE ,,

Mona, you know I was kiddin ya. I too loved what you wrote. Took me back to growing up in Austin in the 50's and 60's. Our street was the city limit for years. We played in the fields and woods, swam in the creek. Built rafts and treehouses. Then the big building boom came in the 70's. All that was covered up with pavement and houses. We grew up. Too many people came. Some not so nice people. Through the 80's and 90's it got to be not so nice a place to live anymore. Finally, we got totally fed up with living there. That's when we bought this place out here in 2005 and built a new house. Guess what?

I'm almost 60 but I get to play in the woods everyday and swim in the creek in the summertime whenever I want. :)

Budman,

I know you were kidding because I think you are still older than me, even if it was a long time ago. I remember Elvis, and the mania that followed him. We didn't know what drugs were, we thought we were cool taking the cedar bark off the cedar post and rolling it up in a piece of notebook paper and smoking that. You sure wanted to make sure the actual flame was out though or it didn't feel too good. Oh, all the memories. There are many. Now, I'm locked in my house everyday. Front door locked and every window locked. We used to leave the doors unlocked in case the neighbors needed to borrow something. They would always come back and let you know what they borrowed. Their first trip into town, they would buy whatever they borrowed and bring it right over. We used to sleep with windows open, we didn't have AC or even think that we needed it. My parents did have a watercooler in their room. During the winter, we just piled extra blankets on the bed. In the morning, get up & get a nice cup of hot chocolate in the kitchen where the stove was keeping the room warm. I could go on & on.

Oldtimer,

I remember Celia and the devastation. My cousins lived on the road right by the water in Corpus, (my memory is fading on the name of that street.) I remember that we went to help them clean up. They owned one of the well known seafood places, it is no longer there. Once again, my memory can't recall the name.) We didn't have roller skates, there wasn't anywhere to skate. All we had around was dirt. I do remember my bike, it was pink with a banana seat. This has been an enjoyable walk down memory lane. I SURE MISS THOSE DAYS.

Which one's your mom, Dawn?

Nick

She'd be the young lady in the dress Nick.

Mona,

I aint NEAR as young as you, but I remember School shoes and play shoes, turning the bottom knob on the TV to "U" so we could get that fancy 4th channel, and hell Mona, it was easy to learn to swim, the hard part was chewing my way outa that tote sack. My little girl started Kindergarten this year, they can't take cupcakes for birthdays, get off the bus at their freinds house or get a paddlin'. Even if the paddle doesn't have holes in it, to cut down on wind resistance...

post-3-1235180910.jpg

Oldtimer,

I remember Celia and the devastation. My cousins lived on the road right by the water in Corpus, (my memory is fading on the name of that street.) I remember that we went to help them clean up. They owned one of the well known seafood places, it is no longer there. Once again, my memory can't recall the name.) We didn't have roller skates, there wasn't anywhere to skate. All we had around was dirt. I do remember my bike, it was pink with a banana seat. This has been an enjoyable walk down memory lane. I SURE MISS THOSE DAYS.

WAS IT SHIP AHOY SEAFOOD RESTAURANT .... IT WAS FAMOUS BACK THEN .AND NO LONGER THERE . A GAS STATION SITS IN ITS PLACE NOW .I THINK IT WAS BUDMANS OR DANO.S HANG OUT ....YOUR BIKE WAS MOST PROBABLY A SCHWINN ..MINE WAS LIKE YOURS BUT BLUE .PINK DIDNT GO WELL WITH BOYS ..AND WHAT WAS YOUR COUSINS NAME ...

Oldtimer,

WAS IT SHIP AHOY SEAFOOD RESTAURANT .... IT WAS FAMOUS BACK THEN .AND NO LONGER THERE . A GAS STATION SITS IN ITS PLACE NOW .I THINK IT WAS BUDMANS OR DANO.S HANG OUT ....YOUR BIKE WAS MOST PROBABLY A SCHWINN ..MINE WAS LIKE YOURS BUT BLUE .PINK DIDNT GO WELL WITH BOYS ..AND WHAT WAS YOUR COUSINS NAME ...

My cousins last name was Parker. I can't remember the first name. I haven't kept in touch with them. I think the last time I saw them was in 1978. The restaurant was still open then, they treated us to a meal for our honeymoon.

Archived