2.3 timing belt

dancer52

I hate these stupid self help books...I get a book..cause it says a complete buildup of the 2.3 motor...20 pages on how to port a head...gets to the part i need...how to install the timing belt...guess what it says.....install the timing belt the normal way...crap....typical....so after wasting my money...I guess I will just ask you guys...I also was wanting to just change the valve springs on the back-up motor(yea right...bone stock motor out of a street car) any help would be nice....AJ

This might be a good place to ask this question. Here is what I have... 2.3L Ford 92 2 bank 8 sparkplug system. Car has been sitting for 2 years. Motor has fuel pressure spark and compression and timing has been set and lined up while at TDC. Car will not start even with ether. The only other info I had for the car was that it got hot and was never started again. Car does turn over and has a orange spark. 1 Coil pack was changed but it didnt seem to make much difference. Took off valve cover, cam and rockers seem be working properly. My question is is it possible to be 180 degrees out on the cam or does it matter with that 8 plug 4 cyl. system? I keep thinking its something in the timing because its getting fuel spark and has compression in all cyl. thanks for the help if you can give me any...

.. maybe the cam sensor is out of wack .... unplug the coil that runs your intake side spark plugs ..motor will run on one coil .but have no driveing power ..also are the plug wires on correctly ..who knows if they pulled them before you got it ..... ..to check belt timeing ...tdc the crank ..on the right side of you cam gear ,aboult 4 oclock .there should be a timeing marker or pointer tang .the front of the cam gear has a mark on the front edge where you can see it ....you may have to rotate the motor till they both line up ..if the belt has not jumped ..seeing you had the valve cover off .and if it is still easy to get off ..you can look at the cam lobes once you tdc the crank .. if both intake and exhaust lobes are layeing flat with the valves closed. and its tdc .then you are in time .... you siad it has compression .that makes me think its in time .and if it was 180. out it should have back fired ......................... another thing ive done is pull the number one plug ..plug in into the plug wire ..ground it .and put your finger in the cylinder hole ..spin the motor over and see if the plug fires at aboult compression ..

Archived