Past female promoter

97car

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oldtimer, the photo of Virginia and all the drivers around her is a

edited version of a photo that the sidewinder ( Sonny Glass )

posted over at dfwracerforum. sidewinder's dad Johnny Glass

helped us out with all the names and I added them to the photo.

On the original it says across the bottom of the photo Virginia

and some of her boys. 1968, all of them Sportsdrome legends.

George

I was shocked to see Ray Blohm on there, I almost didn't recognize him but after closer look yes it is him. The one picture looks more like a asphalt track though. The bleachers even look different, I do remember going to a 1/4 mile track out near Duncanville that had closed years ago that had bleachers around it like in the picture.

• 6 months later...
those old cars ..i sure miss those days ..

Yep . Them are stock cars the way I remember them .

I grew up watching those ole boys in the 60s/70s at Sportsdrome The competition level was pretty tuff and any of these guys or others not in the photo could win on any given night.

It looks like he hit the post button before he had a chance to type what he wanted to say..

And it also looks like 97car edited some of his early posts in this thread to remove the pics he had posted in January... What's up Kevin?

Nick

Yeap, I was there in 80 watching all those you listed. I liked the coupe Mary had then. I still miss that place.

post-3-1249049445.jpg

Mary Merrill, marys little lamb, her husband david drove a mod called davids hot stuff! Virginia ran the track from the time my parents took me there as a kid until she sold the track to tom adrian, i only raced there two years under her reign, then raced two years under toms, he finally gave up lease on track in 84! just a bit of trivia on the picture of her with the drivers pictured, aaron hamilton, he drove the old 88 car that was on top of the tower going into the entrance of race track, larry redmond, his brother george lost his life in a figure 8 race in 67 or 68, sonny kirkland, lost his life in a figure 8 race at cowtown in early 70!s. for anyone not from the area, in 1971, they filmed the figure 8 racing scene at sportsdrome for the movie "corkey" starring Robert Blake and Charolette Rampling! some of the local drivers in scene which got their name announced for race were, Wayne Connor, Larry Redmond, doug Yarborough< Norman sharp. Ron Dendy, every time I watch the old movie (which was not a verygood movie) but to see some of the cars and hear the drivers names gives me chill bumps knowing i grew up and cut my teeth watching these guys tear up the track growing up!

I used to love seeing the 88 on the sign. Thought it was the coolest thing when I was a kid. I saw the movie years ago and can't remember much about it. Could you see the cars Larry and the others mentioned were using in the movie. I have polaroids from when they were filming and I think I have pics of the cars they used. I have pics of the actors too. You probably saw them over at DFW when they were there.

I have the movie on dvd! anyone interested let me know, I can make copy and send to them, i would like to be re imbursed a couplke of bucks for either cd's or postage if possible! I am probably the first and foremost person who can give any information about the old drome! another aspect of my racing life, my two uncles, jerry and duane lang, (duane raced sprints at devils bowl and sportsdrome in the early 70's when thet ran under the old ntcra (north central texas racing association) sanction! I spent the summer of 1971 with them when they built the rosebowl speedway in winona (near tyler) i was there during the main construction and there on opening night! track is still operating this day< just cant remember what it's called now, one of my great uncles, asa LANG (CANNONBALL) lived at the track doing everthing from running supplies to concession stands to helping with parking actually passed away at the track. so much for my dirt track history! sorry if i bored you guys on this!

hey george! as far as cars and drivers, most you can see! the car robert blake drove was actually wayne conners car! they paid him like 250 bucks just to use it during filming! you can for sure see larry redmonds # 53 (purple and white car) plus a couple of others! what was wierd was they actually cut the figure 8 track down to about half the size it usually is! i guess for camera shots or whatever, but when corkys hood flys up, which he was supposed to do intentionally, the 55 chey with the # 105 on it actually hit a ramp to make it roll over! but from where its upside down you can see the original sportsdrome speedway sign on the back stretch before turn 3 right by the pit entrance

Man the good old day's!!!!!!!

Archived