Past female promoter

97car

Yeap, I was there in 80 watching all those you listed. I liked the coupe Mary had then. I still miss that place.

post-3-1249049445.jpg

GREAT PHOTO. I REMEMBER HER BEING VERY NICE. THEIR SON DROVE AN ECONO LATE MODEL. YOU WERE OUT THERE WHEN I WAS. I REMEMBER YOU SAYING YOU WER KIN TO THE HATHCOCK'S. I REMEMBER ONE OF THE CARS SAYING SHORT-N-SASSY ON IT. I THING THAT WAS THE SON.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THAT'S GREAT HISTORY. I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE MOVIE. I REMEMBER BILL REDMOND. I THINK HE WAS LARRY'S BROTHER. HE RAN ECONO LATE MODEL AT COWTOWN. SPONSERED BY CHUCK'S GARAGE. I THINK ELDON DROVE LARRY REDMOND'S MODIFIED SOME IN THE 80'S.

I WOULD LIKE A COPY OF THE DVD. I WOULD BE GLAD TO PAY YOU FOR IT. JUST LET ME KNOW WHERE TO SEND THE MONEY.

Just let me know about dvd, i'll give you my e mail or phone numbers! don't know a bill redmond being related to larry, ronnie redmond was georges son, he ran fig 8's back in 80's, he even got to take a trip to islip for the world championship fig 8 race

yeah i ran my first figure 8 race when i was 15, had an old yellow ford, #276, ran that number 3 years, then for some reason the made us all run just 2 digit numbers so i changed to # 76, then the next year they got us to start running the economy stock, because they were trying to eliminate the figure 87 class!

i raced from 1975 to 1980, i ran at buffalo, and cowtown a few times as well! me and lonnie jenkins jr. grew up together and helped each other when possible, his dad lonnie jenkins drove the # 77 at all the local tracks for ever! lonnie jr drove the # 17 at cowtown in figure 8 class, he was married to teresa armour, harvey armours daughter for a while, they divorced, i didnt get the whole story but i know that jamie, lonnie jr. died in 2001 at his home, in powell tx, near corsicanna, heard it had something to do with a drug deal gone bad, but out of respect for him, i will not say anything that i don't know to be a fact that i cannot verify, but i can verify that he did pass away in june of 2001

I PROBABLY WATCHED YOU RACE. I HELPED RAY BLOHM IN THE LATE SEVENTIES AND 1980. I REMEMBER HARVEY'S DAUGHTER. ONE NIGHT AT COWTOWN CHEATIN CHARLIE AND HER HUSBAND GOT TOGETHER ON THE TRACK AND SHE GOT HARVEY INVOLVED. I DON'T THINK SHE MEANT TO. JUST AN UPSET DAUGHTER.

SEND ME THE INFO FOR THE MOVIE AND I'LL SEND YOU SOME MONEY. YOU TALKED ABOUT WINONA EARLIER. I BOUGHT 6 ACRES AND BUILT IN WINONA. IT GOT TO BE TOO MUCH TO KEEP UP WITH. I LIVE IN NEW CHAPEL HILL NOW.

you should know about the old rosebowl in winona! on i 20 it was almost directly across from the old oil derrick rest area! like i said earlier track is still running today but under different name, just not for sure what its called now!

Never raced there was a little young at the time! but i was there everyday monday through friday during my summer years while it was being built! i was there the first night it opened, i remember getting to ride on the water truck when they were wetting it down, for a 12 year old that was a big deal.

What was the name of the track when it first opened ? I saw something about it being called Jackrabbit Speedway at one time , but I don't remember that . But we ran Mt. Selman until Jake Tull and his brother started running Rosebowl , about 1975-76 , somewhere in there . I didn't even know Rosebowl existed until then .

I also saw something about it being called I-20 Speedway , but I'm not sure they didn't confuse that with I-20 Dragstrip . There was a dirt track there also for awhile , which also went by I-20 .

I know what you mean about riding in the water truck being something special at that age . They would let a couple of us ride inside our hot-stock while they were packing the track . We thought we were hot stuff , I tell ya' .

By the way , Rosebowl goes by Texas Dirt Motorplex , or something like that now .

I REMEMBER YOU SAYING YOU WER KIN TO THE HATHCOCK'S. I REMEMBER ONE OF THE CARS SAYING SHORT-N-SASSY ON IT. I THING THAT WAS THE SON.

I'm not actually kin but a life long friend of the Hathcock family. I've known Mike since he was a little squirt racin' around the stands while his dad was out there racin' around the track. When Mike built his first car he had Raymond Ross drive it because he was to young at the time. That was 75-76 i think. He is still out there doin' it today. He had the Short-N-Sassy on one of his early cars. He's still short-n-sassy.

Yeah , I thought so . I'd never heard that Jackrabbit name before , except for a track in Oklahoma . And I think that I-20 name was getting it confused with the dirt track at I-20 dragstrip .

Was Rosebowl a true half-mile when it first opened ? I know it's been shortened twice . Once before Jake Tull was running it , and again just a few years ago .

you should know about the old rosebowl in winona! on i 20 it was almost directly across from the old oil derrick rest area! like i said earlier track is still running today but under different name, just not for sure what its called now!

I WENT OUT THERE LAST YEAR FOR MY FIRST TIME. I THINK IT WAS CLOSED FOR PART OF A SEASON A COUPLE YEARS AGO. PRETTY GOOD RACING THOUGH. I'VE NEVER BEEN AT A TRACK THAT THE GRANDSTANDS WERE THAT FAR AWAY FROM THE TRACK. A GUY WENT OFF TURN 3 DOWN IN THE WOODS THE NIGHT I WAS THERE. THEY SAID IT TOTALLED HIS CAR.

I WENT OUT THERE LAST YEAR FOR MY FIRST TIME. I THINK IT WAS CLOSED FOR PART OF A SEASON A COUPLE YEARS AGO. PRETTY GOOD RACING THOUGH. I'VE NEVER BEEN AT A TRACK THAT THE GRANDSTANDS WERE THAT FAR AWAY FROM THE TRACK. A GUY WENT OFF TURN 3 DOWN IN THE WOODS THE NIGHT I WAS THERE. THEY SAID IT TOTALLED HIS CAR.

That's a looong drop off the backside of that third turn . The entrance road to the track used to run down there . You had to go around and come in the pits across the back straight . I think they had changed that last time I was there , If I remember right .

Do you know when they put that car up there? I remember back in the 60s the paint was fresher and you could see the #88 clearly. You need to go ahead and make it your avatar pic. Bill, we are glad you made it over here.

econo

Been planning on making it my avatar, just been so busy lately with all my pesonal projects going on! as far as the old studebaker on the sign, that was supposed to be the car aaron hamilton drove his first season, and when virginia decided to put up the tower, he volunteered the car. in the late 60's and early 70's you could see that car for miles away on jefferson and davis streets! you could also see it from the old dallas fort worth turnpike (which is now i 30

• 3 weeks later...

Archived