Ford Contour Timing belt = trasmission problem

Whitey741

Ok,

I know there are alot of smart people around here so try this one on for size.

I had a friend call me the other day with a "starter" problem. 99 Ford contour 2.0 DOHC. I went over and checked it out and it turned out to be the timing belt. we managed through the timing belt and the car starts and runs. Had a little trouble getting the cam timing right because there are no timing marks. It is done by locking the cams with a flat bar. There is variable timing on the exhaust cam and I believe we have it right. I don't think these two problems could be related but the trans worked fine when he parked in in the drive and the belt broke. Now there is a whining in the trans and it wont go into gear. HUH? seems pretty strange and I am stumped. Full of fluid, no reverse or drive, not even 1 or 2.

Any ideas are welcome, just use Mr. before stupid if you must!

Is it possible that the computer is keeping it from going into gear for some reason? Check engine light is on. No reader to check codes.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

I will get shot for this but here goes. 1)The emergency brake isnt on is it? 2)In doing the timing belt did all the sensors get plugged back in? Try disconnecting bot posts on battery. Wait a few minutes and put them back on. Try starting car again.

The whining noise would lead me to believe that the torque converter is low on fluid, but you stated the level is full?

Hummmm!!!!!

If you are in San Antonio, I have a code reader.

Only stupid question is the one we dont ask...

Mark

(On Edit:) Here is a google link There are several recalls one of which is linkage.

Hey KISS, thanks for the link.

Is the brake the handle thingy in the middle? :lol: Let me check.................No not on. Did the battery disconnect, but only removed the ground. Will do both tonight.

Not in SA I'm in Houston.Thanks for the offer though. He says neighbor has a reader but it is tough to get together. My friend works at night 2pm-1amand I work day 7a-7p, and I don't know when the neighbor works, so we have very small windows to work on this thing.

I have read more info on this than I can process. I have looked for unplugged sensors and disconnected linkage.

It does sound like a dry converter. I thought the trans may be low at first but checking the fluid it shows full.Car was up on ramps on an inclined driveway so it was at a pretty good angle leaning with the rear down.

If I put it in neutral and rev it up the noise goes away like it has filled whatever is low but a soon as I put it in gear trans seems to go in (bump) the noise comes back and no go. It is slipping both directions just to be clear. Barely moving with high revs.

Is there a possibility that the fluid went somewhere other than where it should be or that a pickup tube got misplaced or covered by goo or pieces from the pan getting in the valve body? This car is whipped man, 250000+ miles. I'm just shootin in the dark here tryin to help.

This is driving me nuts! It can't be a coincidence. We have definitely unplugged something or messed something up somehow.

Thanks for the input and any more is welcome

Another thought......In neutral,when I rev and the noise goes away, it seems to have a vibration in the motor as if something is out of balance. Not a miss though. Goes away when trans noise is there.

Merry Christmas ya'll

Tim

Yeah I saw the flexplate one this weekend but I figured it is something we have done since it was working when the belt broke. Something changed when we did the belt so I just have to figure out what.

I am wondering if the fluid was low but backed up from the converter to the trans when the car was on the ramps so it showed OK. Maybe something to investigate. It would seem the converter would fill after running for a few minutes though.Wouldn't it? I don't know squat about automatics.

Thanks for all the replies yall, keep 'em coming. We'll get it done!

Tim

Yeah I saw the flexplate one this weekend but I figured it is something we have done since it was working when the belt broke. Something changed when we did the belt so I just have to figure out what.

I am wondering if the fluid was low but backed up from the converter to the trans when the car was on the ramps so it showed OK. Maybe something to investigate. It would seem the converter would fill after running for a few minutes though.Wouldn't it? I don't know squat about automatics.

Thanks for all the replies yall, keep 'em coming. We'll get it done!

Tim

Ok, now Im wondering if while jacked up something didnt clog the filter up? Other thing throwing me off is check engine light being on. I need to check or maybe Charlie can tell us, but I remember somewhere that on a Ford you can key on key off so many times then hit the odometer reset I believe and it will show codes. I have a list of codes, we just need the codes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived