sportmods at THR in 2009

RobbinsSr

I have been in contact with THR and they have agreed to give us 6 races for the 2009 season.

I have also been asked to present a rules package to them for this class, So with the permision of Brad Dixion (whom got the limiteds going this year and next at HMP) I think useing his rules, with a few minor adjustments will be to our best advantage. they alow for some one that wants to come give it a try the ability to do so with minor changes to their car. I will post a link to the HMP limited modifed rules at the end.

My thoughts on the only changes would to be 1) allow the hoosier sportmod tire and the hoosier 970 in with the goodyear tire. 2) not requiring the MSD – 8728 with 6200 RPM rev chip until after two races or not at all.

So with this being said I and THR would like to know every ones thoughts on this. please no bashing

here is the link to the rules.

http://www.limitedmodifieds.com/Limited%20rules.htm

2) not requiring the MSD – 8728 with 6200 RPM rev chip until after two races or not at all.

So with this being said I and THR would like to know every ones thoughts on this. please no bashing

here is the link to the rules.

Option 1: 602 Crate with 6200 RPM Chip

Option 2: Sims (NO RPM Limit)

Option 3: Southern Sport Mod (NO RPM Limit)

Spreen Racing Engines

(830)249-2235

Guys - If you want the Sprots Mod program to work at Thunderhill you will have to keep the same rules & TIRES as the dirt tracks. The folks that have Sportsmods will like to try the asphalt, but they are just not going to change their entire program to run at Thunderhill. The Goodyear Tire will KILL the program.

I would like for the Asphalt Sportsmod program to work. I feel that the class would put on a great show, & be a an opportunity for the current Dirt Sportsmod owners to try something new. However, we are at a point where it is experimental at best, & you should make the program very attractive to everone with current dirt sportsmods. That is they would be competitive with their current equipment. Simpley, they could change springs, add a sway bar, & haul to Thunderhill, without changing anything at best. The crate motor, MSD, different tires might be OK a year down the road, however you have to get this thing off the ground.

Guys - If you want the Sprots Mod program to work at Thunderhill you will have to keep the same rules & TIRES as the dirt tracks. The folks that have Sportsmods will like to try the asphalt, but they are just not going to change their entire program to run at Thunderhill. The Goodyear Tire will KILL the program.

exactly....we were looking at getting two and a few others we know were talking about it. probably not anymore , not by mock rules.

it's sad,,,,i was looking foward to it.

I think Retired Fan makes some good points. I thought there were track running the dirt tires on pavement elsewhere with some success? When you say it won't hold up, to what extent do you mean. Most pavement tires don't hold up as well as we would like - take the F53 for example.

Brad(rollercam) has sort of been the pioneer in trying to get sportmods on pavement for several years at HMP. I won't speak for him, but I think if he says the dirt tire won't hold up, that he's going by experience.

Yes, it would be ideal for the fledgling series to only have minor changes to make and be able run their supply of existing tires.

Just a thought.......maybe give people a two race grace period to use up existing tires and/or find out they aren't going to work.

I think you'll attract more possibilities with a IMCA or SIMS type motor rule....JMHO

Brad(rollercam) has sort of been the pioneer in trying to get sportmods on pavement for several years at HMP. I won't speak for him, but I think if he says the dirt tire won't hold up, that he's going by experience.

Yes, it would be ideal for the fledgling series to only have minor changes to make and be able run their supply of existing tires.

Just a thought.......maybe give people a two race grace period to use up existing tires and/or find out they aren't going to work.

I think you'll attract more possibilities with a IMCA or SIMS type motor rule....JMHO

The rules posted alow all 3 motors. and with the aditions I sumited to THR also alow the sportmod tire and goodyears and also the hoosier 970 take offs.

It seams like the ones complaining should go back and read what was posted and not just glance and it and start complaing. :(

is this going to be chevy only class like HMP or are FORDS and MOPARS allowed to run also? no bashing just curious!!! B)

To be honest I dont know, But I'm sure we will find out sat what THR has decided. Either the proposed rules or IMCA sportmod rules. :D

When & where is the meeting on Saturday that will include the discussion of the Sport Mod Rules ?? I suggest that anyone who has a Dirt Mod in the area that intends to try to run or even thinks that they might want to run at Thunder Hill be there. I realize that a lot of you are planning to be in Edna on Saturday, but now is the time to state your case, before the final decisions are made, if it's not already too late.

The meeting will be held in the Thunderhill Raceway (THR) Garage Lounge this Saturday, November 22, starting at 4:00 p.m. If you've never been to THR, we're located on IH-35, just north of San Marcos, on the access road near the Yarrington Exit (#210).

We welcome any new drivers, and we're hoping that anyone who might be interested in this new class will join us at the meeting on Saturday.

And, yes, the SportMod rules will be presented, but they probably won't be final until after the meeting on Saturday, especially since it's a new class at THR.

Archived