Thunder Hill Raceway update

NickHolt

As we are nearing the start of our 2004 season, I wanted to update everyone on the progress and plans at THR…

As many of you know, we are looking forward to starting the new race season with track improvements. Although we are not in the financial position to address all of the issues, we are making an effort to focus on the main concerns brought to us by drivers and fans alike.

I have read on TSZ that some of you are curious as to what changes have been made thus far. Progress has been slower than expected, but we are confident that track improvements will be complete before our season begins. The contractor plans to start reconstruction of the back straightaway later this week; I have been told it should only take a couple of weeks, weather permitting.

In addition to the physical improvements being made at THR, we plan to put into action some of the ideas generated last summer to advance the track, the drivers, and the sport as a whole. Tracie, Jim Lynch and I are dedicated to providing a great facility and bringing more excitement to short track racing.

Of all of the changes that could be made, we feel the driver’s fund should be a top priority for all of us. Last year we were unable to honor our drivers properly, and this year plan to correct that.

To generate funds, THR will hold silent auctions and fundraisers. We also welcome any other ideas to accomplish this goal. In addition, we are raising the pit pass price by one dollar to go directly towards the point’s fund. Because this is a team effort, at each driver’s meeting, we will inform you of the increasing total to your driver’s fund.

Also among these changes, we are looking forward to our first year with our new ally, Texas Track Owners and Promoters Association (TTOPA). Together we will help tracks and drivers across Texas come together to achieve many of the same goals through shared ideas. We are grateful for the commitment of neighboring tracks for making this association possible, and are excited to see what great things can come when we work together.

Please be sure to join us for our first open practice on Saturday, March 13 (from noon until dark), and again the following Saturday. We will have a Thursday practice (3 p.m. until dark) prior to opening night, March 27.

Look for the THR 2004 race schedule on TSZ and THR websites no later than tomorrow.

We appreciate all of your support and look forward to seeing you in the 2004 racing season.

Sincerely,

Brian Callaway

One other thing the track needs to look at, is it's ticket price. I think a lot of old fans were run off by the high ticket price. San Antonio and Corpus are reasonably priced and they pack it in. If the prices become too high, then people will find something else to do.

Get them in the door and make your money of the consessions. The more fans, the more dirvers and vise versa.

On the nights with Romco, charge the higher price, otherwise keep it about the price of a movie (around $8). I know the prices were raised to compensate for the low turn out, but I think this had a negative affect. It seems tracks with prices under the $10 range seem to be doing well when it comes to attendance. There is something to be said for that.

A family of 4 can cost in the neighborhood of $60 to $70 per night to get in and get a few refreshments. A lot of people can't afford to do that every weekend.

77SS--IN THE LATE 80'S-EARLY 90'S LONGHORN SPEEDWAY CHARGED 8$ @THE GATE AND EVERYONE SAID THAT WAS TOO MUCH THEN...I'M AS TIGHT AS THEY COME , BUT TIMES CHANGE AND SO DOES THE COST OF DOING THINGS YOU WANT TO DO. 15 YEARS LATER 10$ FROM 8$ SEEMS PRETTY FAIR TO ME.FOR A LIVE EVENT LASTING 4 HOURS OR MORE... ADVERTISING IS THE ONLY KEY,BESIDES WE AS DRIVERS GIVING THEM A RACE WORTH WATCHING.NOBODY WILL PAY MONEY TO BE BORED. I WENT TO I-37 SPEEDWAY SATURDAY,IT WAS AN HOUR & HALF DRIVE AND IT COST (TEN) $ TO GET IN THE STANDS,BUT I WILL POSITIVELY BE GOING BACK. ALL I'M SAYING IS LET US (THE DRIVERS)WORRY ABOUT KEEPING THE SPECTATORS WE'VE GOT, COMING BACK .LET THE TRACKS WORK ON GETTING MORE.BECAUSE IN THE LONG RUN THAT'S ALL YOU CAN DO.

Hey Guys I was thinking of somethin this morning that Houston did at the last race that might help THR of the one groove problem. The first practice session and all of the open practice they wouldnt let anyone run on the bottom groove that way it put rubber up on the second groove so that people would be able to hang out there. Now I know that there are some already who can run up top and be competitive but not everyone. But thats just a thought.

I think that's probably a decent idea for laying rubber down, but it makes for a much less useful practice session. When we're testing before a race, I need for Cary to run the car down low and in the second groove to get an idea of what needs to be done. If we are limited to half the track during all of the hot laps sessions, it would make the heat and feature races a little bit of a guess. Perhaps a better idea would be to run the first practice session or two open and then limit the track to the outside for the remaining sessions to lay down some rubber.

cs

here is my .02 cents

from my experience with chassis tuning in a situation like that if they make yall run up top, and you get the car really fast on the top grove. When the time comes to go back to the bottom the car is a rocket. plain as that if the car is really good in the second lane it is even better on the bottom.

NOT TRYING TO BE A WISE GUY HERE-BUT EVERYONE ALWAYS SAYS T.H.R IS SINGLE GROOVE TRACK.S.S. &HOBBIES RUN ALL RACE LONG WITH NO PROBLEM OF A 2ND GROOVE. I'VE SEEN 3 WIDE RACING FOR 2 LAPS @ A TIME IN BOTH OF THESE CLASSES...ALSO IN L.M. IT CAN BE DONE, BUT YOU NEED AN XTRA TENTH ON THE GUY LOW..IT'S NOT A SURFACE PROBLEM-BUT A CONFIGURATION PROBLEM.S.S. & HOBBIES RUN SUITABLE SPEEDS FOR THE PRESENT CONFIGURATION . L.M.& ROMCO WILL REALLY BENIFIT FROM BACKSTRETCH CHANGES',BY GIVING MORE AREA TO COVER TRAVEL OFF OF TWO...WHERE RUNNING ONE LANE IN PRACTICE WOULD NEVER HELP THERE SITUATION..TRUCKS ARE RUNNING RELATIVE TIMES TO S.S. SO THERE SHOULD BE A 2ND GROOVE(EVEN A THIRD)...HOUSTON IS A SOMEWHAT GREEN SURFACE PARTIALY MADE OF CONCRETE...SO THAT'S LIKE APPLES TO ORANGES........

Crazyhorse-When I started racing at Longhorn in the late 80's the pit-pass cost $12 and the purse for the top class was $500.00. The purse is still $500.00 for the top class, and the pit-pass is over twenty bucks. It sounds like they are making up the money from the racer and the fan.

I DO BELIEVE THE PURSES NEED SERIOUS RATIFICATIONS,BUT MY POINT IS HOW ARE THEY GONNA PAY YOU IF THERE'S NOBODY PAYING THEM TO COME WATCH?IF I'VE GOTTA RUN FOR LESS MONEY NOW SO THEY MAY HOPEFULLY SPEND MONEY ON ADVERTISEMENTS TO INCREASE CROWDS THE FOLLOWING SEASON THEN SO BE IT.THE LAST TIME I RAN LONGHORN IN 99 THE PIT PASS WAS 15$ ,BUT WHERE ARE THEY NOW?I JUST WANNA RACE AND IF I DEPENDED ON PURSE MONEY OR ALL THE OTHER ISSUES THAT ARE OUT OF MY CONTROL,THEN I WOULD'NT BE DOING IT.......

Got a few minutes? OK, got an hour or so? LOL

When I was a kid, a loaf of bread was $0.10, a Coke was a nickel and the Saturday afternoon movie was $0.12 or $0.25 if there was a vaudeville show with the movie that afternoon. LOL

Yeah, I know. I'm an old fart.

But, hey, back then a black and white 13" TV set cost several hundred dollars and today you can get a small B&W TV for less than $50. Likewise, comparing today's admission prices and purses with those of yesteryear may not work because so many variables have changed over the years. For instance, we might be leaving out some very important variables such as the comparative cost of racing insurance in the modern "lawsuit-happy" era, or how the purses were (are) distributed down through the field, or what the electricity bills were like back then compared to now, etc, etc.

Another point to remember is that Longhorn went out of business. I'm not saying why it went out of business, just that it did. However, I'm pretty sure that if the track were making tons of money for the owners/promoters, they would have found a way to keep it open. Again, not criticizing, just pointing out that such comparisons are often not valid for any number of reasons.

The other very important variable to consider is that race tracks are faced with a wider range of competing entertainment venues. People can choose between any number of entertainment options on any given weekend or simply sit at home and choose between hundreds of TV channels or plop down in front of the computer and surf 'till they drop. A few years ago the range of entertainment venues were far more limited. And NASCAR didn't broadcast live races on Saturday nights either.

Of course, there are many other factors (many of which have been discussed here on TSZ) as to why the front gate is no longer the primary source of revenue for most paved short tracks, not only here in Texas, but across the country. Track owners are being forced to seek revenue streams wherever they can and cut expenses to the bone, or shut down.

The solution? Well, I'm not real sure, nor is anybody else, but the most frequent suggestion seen here on TSZ is that tracks and promoters should invest a lot more money in advertising and promotion than in the past.

I agree.

But, of course, that brings us to an important question: where is the money going to come from to pay for the needed promotion? I would like to fantasize that there is a sugar daddy out there somewhere with really deep pockets who just LOVES stock car racing and is willing to invest a bunch of money in Texas asphalt stock car racing. But, so far anyway, that person has not come forward.

That being said, I am very aware that many of our local businesses and hundreds of race teams, fans and sponsors have done what they can to help out. Where would we be without them? Racing on parking lots, that's where. From my perspective these folks who have been contributing all along realize that we're all in the same boat are bailing as fast as they can to keep this racing deal afloat.

In the meantime, new approaches like the Texas Track Owners and Promoters Association (TTOPA) and race team involvement in track promotion are going to help. But, at the same time, I believe we all play a role in the solution to some degree or other. I'm going to do my part by organizing and working with TTOPA and I'm sure there are ways you can contribute too. Let's all pitch in and do what we can to support and promote the sport and our local tracks, keep the bitching to a minimum and work together as drivers, team members, sponsors, fans and track officials.

Nick Holt

the bottom line has/is/and will be this.... we all do this for the love of the competition , rivalries , friends, good time etc...

the purses for tracks at the local level will not be near what we spend on these vehicles.

racing at the local level is a hobby, I don't fish often but I'm sure the more serious you get , the more money you spend just like racing and you lose money.

we don't have Nextel, Bud beer and all of that to promote us and fatten our pockets with wads of money for racing, we do it for fun. the promoters and track operators are busting their humps to keep the tracks going whether we agree with how or what means they take in doing this they should be commended.

i love racing and wish i had lots of money to do it and made all my money back + more but it "ain't gonna happen" as long as it remains to have to be a hobby.

i think we should just feel fortunate we have SAS & THR here for us to race at and get ready for a fun 2004..it's a very important year for racing here in Central Texas.

Outlaw I have a question for you?Why is it that Bud and alot of the big companys that you mentioned help sponsor racers on a local level in other areas of this country and not in this area. The other thing is a long as you treat racing as a hobby that is all that it will be. Tell the local racers that do it for a living that it is a hobby { David Starr,Paul White,Tavo hellmund and several others ] you can't make a living at racing there all from this area and they all raced locally.and they all are not in NASCAR .

Who Cares about the past. We need to look at the present and future. I like THR, but fact is GENERAL admission is to high at THR. SAS charges $8 Adult :D , THR charges $12 Adult :o . $12 is a little too much if you ask me. I think if you lower the price, more people will come. More People, More Money. Thats why fans are starting to disappear. Thats a FACT. As for pit fee's leave them right where they are. We will get that money right back the next week. B) . I dont know of any THR driver racing for a living. We know we are going to take a big loss at the end of the year. ITS A HOBBY NOT A LIFE SUPPORTING JOB.

I don't think Bud or whoever dumps near the money into THR as they do to DEI or FOX and NBC, if they are , yes, the tracks are ripping us beacause they are making a lot

of money that we are not seeing !!!!

Talk to Paul , Tavo and those guys , I'm not sure what their circumstances were in becoming stars but the majority of us work daily and mouths feed , obligations

and so forth. Terry Labonte raced here , he's in cup but that is one out of many, many guys.

If you have the ability to do this as a career great, I'm very envious of the guys that can but in reality, we are all working people that love to do this for fun.

tqj3-- I quit taking my family to the races except on the weekend that I am helping someone. The reason is that it cost to much. By the time I get 3 people through the front gate, feed them, and have a beer or two, I have spent over $75. I can go to the movies and spend around $50 for the same number of people. I can also go play putt-putt golf and spend around $50. The other day we had 14 people at Austin Park & Pizza and spent less than $200 for food and a round of putt-putt. The point is, it cost to much money to go and watch. If you lower the price to get in the gate, and keep it about the same as going to the movies or any other entertainment, then you would be getting my $50 and not missing my $75.

Racerpete-

I see your point, but you are comparing apples and oranges. How much do you want to watch racing? How much does it cost to get into a NASCAR race? How long are you being entertained for your $75?

I'll submit that the racing on Saturday night at Thunder Hill (and probably at some other tracks in the area) is better than the racing at most NASCAR events. (If you want to see racing, come watch the street stocks at THR.)

My point is simply that track owners have only two sources of revenue: racers and fans. Any sponsor or advertiser money they get is as a result of having fans in the stands and people who aren't in the stands aware of and interested in what went on at the track. So the source of revenue is always racers and fans. Are the prices too high? Ten or 12 bucks to get in doesn't seem that outrageous for four or five hours of entertainment and excitement, and the concession prices at the movies make racetrack prices seem very reasonable. Of course, you could always eat before you come to the race, and just buy a couple of soft drinks or beers at the track.

Supertx-

Yep, those guys are pros. They approach the whole thing as a business, if not a profession. And you and I know what else they have in common: they're working to make a name for themselves, not waiting around for someone to come "discover" them racing at a short track. I don't think anyone from GM or Ford or Childress or Hendrick even shows up at a short track.

That's why JG made the comment about "the best stock car driver in the country is probably racing street stock at some short track, and never got a break." But JG and Hellmund and Starr put themselves into a position to get a break, and that position isn't running street stock and hoping for a break. It's racing on Friday or Saturday and beating the drum for yourself and your sponsor the rest of the week.

As I keep saying, your JOB is publicizing yourself and working for your sponsor. In return, you GET to drive the race car. If you don't accept that, you aren't a pro driver, you're a hobbyist.

Here's some news from THR's Brian Callaway should help the ticket price situation.

If you are a registered THR driver, you can purchase 10 grandstand admission tickets for $7.00 each as long as you buy them all at the same time. That's a savings of $5.00 per ticket over the regular $12 admission price. In other words, if you write a check to THR for $70 (or pay cash) you get $120 worth of grandstand admission tickets!

And if you are not a registered THR driver (that's the rest of us), you can purchase 10 grandstand tickets for $8.00 each as long as you buy them all at the same time. That's a savings of $4.00 per ticket over the $12 admission price. Same deal. Write a check to THR for $80 and get $120 worth of grandstand admission tickets.

Brian says this offer is good through March 20th. He wants to see how well this discount plan works before possibly exending it. These discounted tickets can be purchased at either the March 13 or March 20 open practice sessions at THR.

Nick Holt

Nick,

My wife and I keep foster kids for the Methodist Childrens Home in Waco. I was thinking of stopping by as we were blasting thru Waco from Dallas to THR and picking up some "extra" kids to go to the TAMS races. The MCH people could create some kind of a behaviour modification program to create the "winners".

I would like to take the discount discussed as long as the tickets are "good" for any night with the possible exception of the Stock Car Spectacular.

Do you know if this is the case?

Thanks

Jay

To Mr. Callaway,

Im glad to see that something is going to be done with the GENERAL admission price. I hear alot of people talk about how nice the racetrack is and how exciting the racing gets, but they also say that they can not afford bringing the family to the races. I ALSO AGREE that you have built one of the nicest short tracks Texas has ever seen. I love racing there. I just hate to see the stands half empty week to week because of the cost. Lower the GENERAL admission price and watch the stands fill up. Word of mouth is the best advertisment.........

500 people x 12 dollars a person = $6000

1000 people x 8 dollars a person = $8000

MORE money, MORE people. ;)

jracer98,

What a really neat idea!

Brian informs me that, yes, the tickets are good for any Saturday night except ROMCO nights, which, of course, includes the Spectacular since ROMCO will be there for that special show.

Nick

Guest AYERS02

Nick,

I think the discount ticket idea is great, that helps the folks out that plan to

attend 10 or more races. Lowering the overall general admission ticket

price is what is needed to get more people in the stands. When I tell people

here at work about the races, usually the first question is.. how much does

it cost to get in. Most think $12 is too much. I think some free admission

tickets need to be handed out before the season starts to places other than

speedshops , and target folks that have never been to a local race. I would also like to see THR adopt theme nights where say one night is High tech night, where you show your badge and get in at a discount. Even if it just 2 dollars off. Or another night be student night , show your student id, get admission discount. You get the idea.... this could be posted along with the new schedule, with the itent to get people in the gates, then hopefully come back on their own. The word of mouth advertising needs to be jumpstarted before this season gets underway.

Archived