Short Tracks That Are Closing Up

and if you think about it, a saturday night short track cant be a money making business. for the most part they are only open one night a week, when the weather is good. so that leaves maybe 20 or 30 days out of the year that a business would be open and making money. would a bank finance something like this? It seems like most of the tracks that I have raced at were not actually owned by the promoter. but by somebody or something hoping to one day make a profit on the property. to me I think it would take a really creative person to make a track work. I dont know how they do it, but thanks.

alot of creative poeple at thunder hill .. what ever it is they are doing .thier fan count has been way higher than some other tracks ..and growing ...now is the track makeing money ..i would hope so ..thow last year and maybe before .they probably lost alot . like most tracks last year ..that four letter word was a major factor then ..now its the fuel and gas cost ..and that also maybe a positive aswell and im sure it is ..poeple are looking for something different .and racen is different for someone that hasnt been or has not been in years ..and cheaper than traveling right now ..sorry six flags ..

The asphalt tracks up here in western PA are going thru some rough times as well; car counts and butts in the stands are dwindling. I just found this on the Motordrome web site. As popular as drag is for a car thats an everyday driver to be able to race it down the strip and have some fun. This just might work I'll let you know.

---------------------------------------------------

Also on Sunday August 31, $200 will be paid to the winner of a special "Spectators' One on One" bracket elimination event. Open to any insured driver, this competition will match street cars, side by side, two at a time, for one full lap around the Motordrome oval. Only PA inspected, registered automobiles will be allowed to compete for the cash prize. A random draw will determine the brackets, and each pairing will compete for two wins out of three match-ups.

The asphalt tracks up here in western PA are going thru some rough times as well; car counts and butts in the stands are dwindling. I just found this on the Motordrome web site. As popular as drag is for a car thats an everyday driver to be able to race it down the strip and have some fun. This just might work I'll let you know.

Also on Sunday August 31, $200 will be paid to the winner of a special "Spectators' One on One" bracket elimination event. Open to any insured driver, this competition will match street cars, side by side, two at a time, for one full lap around the Motordrome oval. Only PA inspected, registered automobiles will be allowed to compete for the cash prize. A random draw will determine the brackets, and each pairing will compete for two wins out of three match-ups.

THR used to do this, and it was always a big hit. Basically, the entrants paid $20 or so. The final winner took the purse or split it 50/50 with the track - can't remember exactly. They would race them side-by-side with cones to separate two lanes - standing start for 1 lap. I think insurance finally shut it down.

NASCAR probably does more damage by raising the expectations of the fans and potential fans who are conditioned by NASCAR to expect well-turned-out cars and crews and a reasonably tight show, but mostly see relatively beat-up race cars and a "main" event that may not go on until well after "prime time."

Texas actually has an advantage in both Mary Ann's TSRS series and Neil's TPS series. Mary Ann presents a show that requires both cars and crews to look good, providing the "NASCAR-like" appearance the fans expect; Neil provides a show that features the kinds of cars that are increasingly seen on the roads: four bangers.

I don’t believe that there is any "one smoking gun" to blame here. It is a combination of economic hardships that drive people to stay at home. We as race enthusiast must find ways to cut cost for everyone involved (fans, racers, tracks). I don’t have allot of answers but, I do think that food lodging and fuel rank pretty high on the overhead lists. I for one would be happy to allow a fellow racer or two, to use the empty 3/4 acre lot next to my house that I own to help supplement having to park their rig at a hotel and worry about theft or park in a rest area and worry about criminals, I only live 14 miles from our local track (which don’t mind letting the rigs camp out anyways from out of town). Only if we all help each other can we survive.” United we stand, divided we fall" So if your Going to come race in Edna and you can sleep in your rig and need water and some electricity and have the ability to say or write thank you, give me a pm and we will work something out. It’s about all I have to offer, other than friendly conversation and southern hospitality, not to be mistaken for weakness.

Victor Lindsey

sprintsrule: Thanks for reminder about Pan American Speedway. How could I forget?

I was once the Pace Car driver and recall the drivers meeting in October 1978 when Ricci Ware Sr. announced the tracks closure.

tqj3: Thanks for recognizing the contribution to our sport that is being made by TSRS and TPS

Neil Upchurch

THR used to do this, and it was always a big hit. I think insurance finally shut it down.

That's EXACTLY what shut it down - the annoying cost of Insurance. It SKYROCKETED one year in particular, just like the price of gas over the past 5-6 months.

just a suggestion if car counts keep goin down hill and racers cant afford to race every week and fans cant attend every week, maybe run once or twice a month but with bigger purses. Maybe this can bring more cars in jus like having a big race once a month. What im trying to say let the low budget racers wallets recooperate.

As much as I hate to point this out because I love racing on any type surface, but in the W.PA area, a dirt track just across the border in Hartford, OH is doing well this year as well as having a good year last season. Is what we are seeing a demise of asphalt tracks around the country? Now I hate to open this door cause all the dirt trackers will begin to gloat, but I hope they try to be objective about it and possibly point out that maybe they are having similiar problems.

The track I am talking about it Sharon Speedway which is partially owned by Dave Blaney and located in Hartford, OH. The name Sharon comes from the town of Sharon which sits right on the OH/PA border but actually a W PA town. :)

This is one dirt tracker that you wont see gloating. I hate to see any track close up. I am kinda fed up with nascar's interest in the almighty dollar. Like Dale Sr. said "I dont know what you call this but it aint racing". I think he was refering to the rules that made them use restricter plates. This was done so that they could get as many sponcers names in one camera shot as possible. Let them ponies loose and let the drivers determine how fast is too fast(which I feel is not possible).

I have never understood how these dirt tracks draw so many cars to their shows. There is a dirt track across the road from Talladega Superspeedway called Talladega Short Track that I go to every now and then. They draw anywhere from 120 to 140 race cars every Saturday night when they race. This is for just a regular show. When they run their big Ice Bowl race every January they will draw 300 to 350 race cars for the entire weekend. I have never heard of an asphalt track drawing this kind of car count. The only asphalt track that I know of that draws anything close to these numbers is the Snowball Derby at Five Flags Speedway.

I have never understood how these dirt tracks draw so many cars to their shows. There is a dirt track across the road from Talladega Superspeedway called Talladega Short Track that I go to every now and then. They draw anywhere from 120 to 140 race cars every Saturday night when they race. This is for just a regular show. When they run their big Ice Bowl race every January they will draw 300 to 350 race cars for the entire weekend. I have never heard of an asphalt track drawing this kind of car count. The only asphalt track that I know of that draws anything close to these numbers is the Snowball Derby at Five Flags Speedway.

The IMCA has rules that are enforced from coast to coast,so anyone can show up and race(thats the biggest reason).One other reason is they are cheap,my brother has less money in two (brand new)limiteds than I do in one used Hamke PLM!!!

I have never understood how these dirt tracks draw so many cars to their shows.

The IMCA has rules that are enforced from coast to coast,so anyone can show up and race(thats the biggest reason).

B--I--N--G--O!

The fact that cars can travel anywhere - a lot of California guys race at do the Heart of Texas/Texas Thunder swing during the summer - and NOT have to make ANY adjustments, modifications, etc. is a perfect example of why there's such a great car-count at dirt tracks. When K-MAC Sports was doing Sarge's DTI show, I was amazed at how "together" the dirt community was on this - and other - issues.

Archived