TTOPA

jp17

There are two things to consider when choosing tires manufacturers. Obviously the tire must perform to an acceptable standard. Given that American Racer (Romco), Hoosier (THR SAS TAMS TSRS) and Goodyear (HMP) all have suitable offerings this becomes moot point. As a result the dollars that a tire company brings to the table becomes equally important. One difference I’ve noticed between local tracks and touring series is that those “incentive” dollars seem to go to a points fund or purses in a touring series. Hoosier was the largest contributor to the TSRS points fund ($4000) and it was widely publicized that American Racer brought a very attractive package to Romco. I’m not certain but I don’t think either THR or SAS have historically offered a track sponsored points fund so one must assume that whatever tire sponsorship monies each track negotiates gets absorbed into the general revenue stream. I’m not saying that it’s wrong, just making an observation.

Now then let’s take it one step further. SAS, at Oktoberfast, required that everyone purchase their fuel from the track. They even went so far as to make sure we knew that our trailers were subject to search to insure compliance. If memory serves, the price of SAS fuel was significantly higher than what we typically pay elsewhere. Lets say TTOPA swings a deal with Hoosier, would it be unreasonable to suspect that a similar restriction on tires could then be imposed at all member tracks? If so, wouldn’t the net effect be a transfer of significant funds currently paid out as purse monies into the general revenue stream of each member track?

I don’t mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist and I applaud the spirit of cooperation that TTOPA represents. I am a little concerned though that such an organization, unchecked, could evolve into a sanctioning body capable of exerting a tremendous amount of leverage on racers that the tracks separately do not have. Standardization of rules and economies of scale all sound like great ideas on the front side but remember the saying about power and absolute power. jp

SAS has put the tire money back into the points fund for many years they also put money contributed through the fuel sales into the points fundthese funds go along with the money NASCAR contributes

JP you are not incorect in you information ,Fascar has cotributed to the points fund every year they have been in existance.The total that Fascar has given to the points fund has been at least two thousand a year.These are things that probley should be published but not many people realize where the money comes from .I hope you'll help me the same way

JP,

As you know, paved short tracks in Texas have been under a great deal of financial stress for the past few years. The status quo just was not working any longer. Thread after thread here on Texas Speed Zone has echoed this theme.

A variety of ideas have been suggested here by sincere, concerned people, but, unfortunately, many of them involved the tracks increasing their expenses (putting scarce dollars into advertising and promotion, paying bigger purses, etc) or laid too much responsibility on individual teams and sponsors to reverse the downward trend.

Several of us, however, came realize that at least a portion of the problem was that our local tracks were not working together, and, in some cases, were competing with each other in negative ways. It was with this realization in mind that TTOPA was formed. From where I sit, such an organization can only help, not hinder, asphalt racing in Texas.

That being said, I suppose you could view TTOPA as a potential threat to racing as you seem to be suggesting. Certainly there will be decisions made by the member tracks that not everyone will agree with. That comes with the territory whether the individual tracks or TTOPA makes the hard decisions that impact race teams.

There are at least two very good reasons why I doubt that TTOPA will become the power mad organization you hint it might become.

In the first place, Texas Speed Zone encourages open, honest discussions about issues that concern the racing community. I know I personally have made sure our members have been kept up to date and both Jason and I are committed to encouraging the open discussion of racing-related issues.

Secondly, I believe most racers realize that it is in their long-term best interest to have multiple tracks where their cars would be legal. That realization alone will keep them involved in the decision-making process. It is only when the people have no voice in an organization that people who hold leadership positions in that organization feel they have the right to do whatever they wish.

Every off-season we hear rumors that this track or that track will not be opening. With reciprocal agreements and similar sets of rules that are part of the TTOPA long-term goals, the car that a race team invests thousands of dollars in will not suddenly become junk if a particular track is unable to open.

I recognize that you are primarily a proponent for TSRS and that you could possibly view an organization like TTOPA as a threat to TSRS or other touring series. And it is true that one of the stated goals of the organization is to coordinate scheduling of the various touring series among the member tracks. This can only benefit both the series and the tracks in the long run. As it is now, scheduling becomes a stressful free-for-all where certain series or certain tracks end up on the short end of the stick. But, you are correct in recognizing that the thrust of the organization is to foster cooperation among member tracks and with that cooperation comes a certain amount of leverage. Keep in mind, however, that unless local tracks survive none of us will have a place to race in Central / South Texas.

You seem particularly concerned where the tire and fuel money winds up. Let's just put it this way, JP, if the place where you work didn't make a profit, you would soon find yourself without a job. The same is true with a race track. If a track continuously runs in the red, how can we expect to have a place to run? So what if the tire and fuel money end up in the track's revenue stream? If each touring series suddenly had to build and operate its own race tracks, how long do you think that fuel and tire money would end up in a drivers' point fund??

Bottom line: TTOPA is simply a part of the total racing equation. It's going to take all of us working together to get local asphalt racing in Texas strong and healthy again.

Nick Holt

that's right, no matter where we race, we all have to work together to make this thing work and keep it alive. My family and I and I'm sure many of you other members have way too much time and money invested in this thing to have cars and tool etc sitting dorment because we have no place to use them.

we need to quit running down the tracks and promoters, there are politics no matter where you race or what class/series you race in, we've all done this for sometime and know damn well that's a given. We have to find the positives in all that we do and enjoy this hobby that we all feel so passionate about to insure that we can do this for many years to come.

Nick was @ the FASCAR meeting yesterday made the comment about "parking lot racing", that's what happens if we all let our tracks go away, WE the central Texas short track racing

community are the ones to launch OUR sport on all the na-sayers and stereotypes.

I think what Mike, Brian and Mr. Pittman are doing is a step in the right direction, although I race @ SAS , I hope THR, CC, TSRS and ROMCO have awesome seasons in 2004, it only helps the future of racing here in our region.

Nick,

Racing in the series does not make me “primarily a proponent for TSRS” any more than as a paid employee you are “solely a proponent for THR.” You are mistaken if you feel that my comment is colored by my association with a touring series. I know and respect a number of TTOPA members, including yourself and believe that everyone involved has good intentions. But, I believe the acronym stands for Texas Track Owners and Promoters Association not Texas Track Owners and Promoters and Racers Association . I was just trying to point out that along with the good there is potential for harm as well. I’ve raced at a track where the owner made up the rules as he went along and we were fortunate enough to be able to vote, with our race car, and went elsewhere. I am just wondering, out loud, that if there was one centralized controlling entity if we would have had that opportunity. jp

I feel TTOPA will bring back the right balance of touring series and weekly classes for racing in texas. Weekly racing is hurting and something has to be done to fix it. There are many reasons for this and one just happens to be too many racing series in Texas. I am sure some sacrifices down the line will have to be made but in the long run its for the better of racing in Texas. Just some thoughts of mine...

Jason

Year in and year out I hear track operators and racers alike complain about the amount of money the loose racing. Just a question does anyone make money racing in South Texas?

JP,

I would agree with you if one person or one group owned all 3 tracks. That isn't the case here as you know. These guys are trying to improve things for everyone. But they still have to look out for there respective tracks. That is where I believe TTOPA will be in our (the drivers) interest. This association was just put together and they have not even made any changes yet, but they got on TSZ and let us know what they have plannned for the future. I know Owen and Nick look at this sight on a regular basis (Mike may, I don't know), so I believe they try to absorb evrything we say. They are not going to please everyone but something like this has to be done to keep these tracks alive, because I sure as hell don't want to run dirt.

As far as tire and fuel sponsor money who cares where it goes, if you know as a racer at the end of the season that if you are the top points person you get x amount of dollars does it really matter where it came from, or how much they kept. You knew how much you were racing for before you started, if you didn't think it was enough then you should look for a different place to race. Just my opinions on your opinions.

QUIT WORRING ABOUT THE SMALL STUFF LET THE TRACKS KEEP THE TIRE MONEY AND ANY THING ELSE THEY NEED TO STAY OPEN ALL WE NEED IS A LITTLE RESPECT AND A PLACE TO RACE I,M SURE THEY ARE DOING ALL THEY CAN TO COME UP WITH A PLAN AND IT IS NOT TO SCREWW THE DRIVERS,EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT, AS SOON AS THE SEASON OPENS WE,LL REALLY HAVE ENOUGH TO THINK ABOUT THANKS TO ALL THE TRACKS AND SERIES FOR THERE HARD WORK, GET EM READY BOYS AND GIRLS TIME IS RUNNING OUT.

Archived