old cc speedway pics 1987

TheCloser

that was the only time I saw Slick in anything other than a reddish tone car, although I never saw Slick race before 1979.

Slick ran that blue scheme in '84. He has also run all black, red and black, and white. The white scheme was late in his career in Texas, a really lightweight Dillon car, also a V-6. One of the Keys family may have another color or two that i don't remember right now.

The long line of late models is on the frontstretch at Sooner in Altus. One great track to race on, wide and fast. The 59 is a Jimmy Spillar car, at the front of the line is the 48 of Jay Watson and the 22 of Tommy Grimes.

The red 16 of Roy Payne belonged to Curtis Payne, owner of RPM Enterprises in Alvin, Texas, and later, Hueytown, Alabama. John Rezek drove for RPM several seasons.

Ya'll that remember the Brown 11 Nova that Larry Schild drove for Rush Johnson; that Nova was sold to Payne after Rush died.

Roy Payne may be best known for one heck of an effort that had him racing all season at Montgomery, Alabama, hauling round-trip from Alvin each week.

txtom

Im sure it has been brought up in the past on here but im to lazy to look....Why did the V-6 go away? Do you think it might be coming back with this fuel cost we have right noe, Please educate me on this. thanks

PAPA

Gerald,

The V-6 is OK for a street engine, but longevity was the racing issue. If you got 2000-2500 laps on the bottom end without the crank or rods coming apart, you were doing pretty good.

A lot of things were tried to make them last, but all made them too expensive.

But a quote from the late, great Neil Bonnett sums it up. Neil stated it during a Busch race in the early 90's when that series was running the V-6. Someone's engine had come apart, and Neil, who was broadcasting with Buddy Baker, Stated:

And Slick, among others, tore up TIDA also.

Slick was also getting V-6 stuff from Roush for a song. Made it affordable. J or C Keys will know more about the specifics, but about $4000 for a short block to arounr $7000 with the heads. A few minor changes were all that was necessary.

Click this link for more V-6 info:

V-6

As far as where an engine is, I think, at one time, Jeremy Stafford had one of Slick's old cars with one in it, but I do not know if he still has it. Beyond that, I don't think anyone would have much of that stuff left.

And Slick, among others, tore up TIDA also.

Slick was also getting V-6 stuff from Roush for a song. Made it affordable. J or C Keys will know more about the specifics, but about $4000 for a short block to arounr $7000 with the heads. A few minor changes were all that was necessary.

Click this link for more V-6 info:

V-6

As far as where an engine is, I think, at one time, Jeremy Stafford had one of Slick's old cars with one in it, but I do not know if he still has it. Beyond that, I don't think anyone would have much of that stuff left.

JEREMY WAS THE ONE IM THINKING OF .LAST TIME I WAS OVER BUYING PARTS WHICH WAS A WHILE BACK .THEY HAD THE CAR IN THE BACK .AND THE MOTORS BOTH V8 AND THE V6 WERE SITTING OUT ON THE FLOOR ..

Ron Neal did the rebuilding for us.

I was passing through Illinois on the way to the Upper Michigan Peninsula in 87, in the middle of when ya'll were doing everything engine-wise with Neal. I stopped in Neal's shop, and told him Slick and Alan said hello. He almost threw me out of his shop. He had a couple great stories concerning trips Alan made up there.

Not sure who Irvan and Shauna were driving for, but I remember at least one or two of Slick's V-6s started as Roush builds. Seems like the white Dillon car was built with the V-6 in mind. Fairly light chassis to allow the weight to be better distributed.

Archived