Wichita Falls Speedway - Late 70's, early eighties

perfposs

Hello all-

My name is Evan. I live near La Crosse, Wisconsin.

My uncle, Charles Mikkelson, used to race in the Pure Stock division at Wichita Falls Speedway from 1979 to I belive 1981, up until he drowned in Texas with his brother.

I cant seem to find much information about this track, or even if it still exists. The only tracks I can find are Texoma and Red River Speedway.

I guess what I am looking for here is a bit of history on this track. Photos would be nice, if anyone has any to post. Even better, if anyone can remember anything about Charles, that would be great. I was only one year old when he drowned, so I never go to know him.

My mom did give me a few programs from the track, with some pictures of him in there, that was really neat! In that part of 1980 he was in first place in points.

I could be wrong about this because my recollection of Wichita Falls Speedway was from around the 72 to 74 era. It is now long gone and part of a housing development since it was located right on US 281 and you came into Wichita Falls from the south. Have not been up that way since 74 but heard it closed long ago. You might want to check the history on Red River Speedway because I recall at one time reading something about the old track on that site.

Perfposs,

Just be patient. When you come on here with specific questions like you have, it usually takes a little longer, but sooner or later someone will come on here and come across your posts who know the answers to your questions. That's how it usually works anyway. Check back often. :)

bud i just cant believe you or tex tom // dont have the answer ... but im sure you or tex will find something out ..you always do ..perfposs .... give bud and tex some time ..they have never let anyone down ..this gets there juices going ...

I probably have some info for ya, but right now, I am heavy into some certification stuff for a recent job change.

But a question--are you talking about the asphalt 1/4 mile off 287 and FM 369, currently known as "Red River Speedway", or the dirt 1/4 mile that was on Hwy 281 South, and also known as "Col C's Speedrome?".

If it was the dirt track, I can tell you that not a trace of it remains, and We used to pass it on our way to Altus in the late 90's, and it was a ball field then. There is nothing left now.

Click this link to see the location:

Dirt Track

Look for the road marked "Old Jacksboro Highway". That title is on there twice. Next to the top one, the track location was exactly east, and right next to the highway. Turns 3 and 4 were just opposite of where the road straightens up. If you look real close, you can see a faint outline of an oval.

Let me know which track you are referring to, and I think I have something for ya.

The Wichita Falls Speedrome was a 1/4 mile dirt oval that opened in April of '46 and was owned by Abe Rabin, he owned a couple of Car Lots and a tractor Dealership. He also owned a couple of cars and a couple of midgets, Rodger Ward Sr. drove for him for several years.

I think it closed down finally in 1997, and the last owner, I think, was Hank Cournoyer. I think it was under him was when it became known as Colonel C's Speedrome. None the less there was some historic racing done there over the years. Lloyd Ruby, Rodger Ward and Ralph Parkinson are among those who first turned a competitive wheel at the Speedrome.

( This photo has been edited and seperated from foreign sites)

post-8338-1215751291_thumb.jpg

Archived