DPS stopping tow rigs in Texas

racer61

When does the trailer inspection requirement kick in? What size and type?

It already has. The above story was an F-250 2WD hauling an open trailer with two axles and nothing on the trailer. SAPD officer pulled him over and said he wanted to check for inspection.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a suggestion....why dont we talk to the tracks and get them to change the wording....since thats all that matters....lets change the "purse" to "rembursement".....then we would not be getting paid....just rembursed for our losses...

On other matters....the laws are over 26000# or a trailer with a gvr over 10000....but there is the rule about RV's....somehow there exempt....dont need a cdl....but do need an exempt class A cdl...just came back from taking my test today...lol This is what they said....

Hey guys, you can call me wrong I dont care, But before you do go call DPS yourself and find out. I dont care what the internet says about this, I went straight to the source. There is obviously a number of folks who arent sure so this topic was a good idea. To clarify what I posted earlier, the weight at which DPS is looking at is NOT what it physically weigh, but what the max is on your truck and or trailer.

Ok.. i went digging for the Trailer inspection rules for texas, This is what i found for Travis county...

Looks like even my trailer is required to have an inspection.. Didnt' look at who started this thread, but sure glad they did... i really hate run-ins with the law...

Here's what's inspected by vehicle type.

Items of Inspection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)

2. Tires

3. Wheel Assembly

4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.

5. Tail Lamps (2)

6. Stop Lamps (2)

7. License Plate Lamp (1)

8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)

9. Turn Signal Lamps

10. Clearance Lamps

11. Side Marker Lamps

12. Side Reflectors

13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)

(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)

14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number

Using a tow rig under the magical 26,001 pound CDL rule, the argument I would make is I am not being "paid" to haul the car. The car brings in the revenue at the track. Therefore, I would not believe I would need a CDL. If I would need a CDL for hauling equipment that I could use to bring in revenue, then look at all of the people that would need a CDL. If a mechanic hauls his A/C machine to get it repaired, does he need a CDL because that machine could produce revenue? When a DJ hauls his equipment to a wedding to play, does he need a CDL because that equipment helps bring in revenue? The list could go on forever.

Had a good finish in the local Match Play golf tournament today. Loaded the clubs and the money into the commercial Ping club hauler and flaunted the law all the way back to the house.

Jay

Ok.. i went digging for the Trailer inspection rules for texas, This is what i found for Travis county...

Looks like even my trailer is required to have an inspection..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

Hmmm...What kind of place does trailer inspections?

Dealer?

I wonder what the fees are?

Jay

Why not just get a CDL. It's no big deal.

I have not read this entire thread yet! So I apologize if I repeat something someone has already posted!

If you do not need a CDL - do not get one! You loose the ability to take defensive driving if you get a ticket, the fines double in most cases, and it cost more to renew annually. Also puts you in a different category when it comes to Homeland Security! Your personal insurance on you vehicles may increase, and if you own a 1 ton, it will be harder to insure it, do to the companies not wanting to risk you using it for hire!

If your tow vehicle ways over 26,001 and pulling a trailer not exceeding 10,000 pounds, you can use a Class B Standard License!

If you tow vehicle ways over 26,001 and the trailer is 10,001 pounds and up, you will need to upgrade to a Class A Standard License.

If you carry more than 450 # in fuel, you are required to have a Haz Mat endorsement, which is a whole nother can of worms!

Pages 1-4 and 1-5 in the current Drivers Handbook details this out! http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf

You can have a B or A license without having the CDL endorsements! Most people hauling trailers these days, not just racers, are in violation of multiple laws. And due to insurance regulations and increased accidents, Texas Department of Public Safety has been backed into a corner, and having to enforce the regulations!

A CDL is only needed if you are transporting for HIRE! I know, I drive an 18 wheeler for a living! On that note, another reason for the increased enforcement is the so-called Gypsy Contractors, that come to Texas during the Winter months to make a quick buck, and then run back north and hide when things go wrong.

Also, Axle Weight Ratiings - If you have a trailer that is only rated for 7,000# and tagged for 7,000#'s, and you have 7,001 and up on it, you will get a ticket for that, as well as the possibility of having the whole unit sidelined - parked on the side of the road - until you can get someone to come and take the extra weight in another vehicle!

Axles with 5 bolt wheels are only rated for 3,500 #, 7,000 in proper tandem and tire rating

Axles with 6 bolt wheels are only rated for 5,200 #, 10,400 in proper tandem and tire rating

Axles with 8 bolt wheels can be 8,000 or up to 12,000 depending on the manufacturer and tire rating!

Back in the early '90's we had to upgrade the axles, tires and registration on the #88 trailer since our load weight and capacity was over that of the original axles. Also, going out of state, we were at risk of being fined for improper registration on the trailer!

Will comment on others as I finish reading the thread!

Jay, trailers with registered actual weight of less than 4500 pounds are exempt from vehicle inspections in TX. What does a typical 26 foot enclosed weigh? (not gvwr, but actual registered weight)

10,500 or better! - the rating is based on registered weight, not empty weight!

Looks like even my trailer is required to have an inspection..

Hmmm...What kind of place does trailer inspections?

Dealer?

I wonder what the fees are?

Jay

Any state inspection facility that does cars and pickups, can and are require to do inspections on trailers, the fee is the same as a car or truck, I think it is $10.50 nowadays!

Again, unless you are hauling for HIRE! You do not need a CDL! Auto Racing on the local level is considered a Hobby Sport in this state, unless your driver is under a contract for hire!

However, you do need to be licensed for the proper class and weight of the vehicle you are driving, pulling!

Read here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf

Page 1-4 - under Classified Drivers License - If you are not required to have a CDL - you can upgrade to the class B or A license!

I get my trailer inspected at a-plus auto in Bastrop (mini9r's brother) I dont know if it was a correct statement about any inspection place doing trialers...might be...but when I called..they all said they dont know what I was talking about...but...this was a few years ago...

thanks. After work today, I'll roll by the place where I get my truck inspected and see if they are up to speed on this deal.

Jay

------->just an additional thought. How come taxpayers have to find out this stuff by word of mouth? The State of Texas knows that I have a trailer and they have my mailing address as well as my email address...Don't hurt yourself sending me a heads up !!!

If they claim to not know what you are talking about, or refuse to do a trailer inspection, get the station license and the persons name!

Tell them that you will verify with Texas DPS, they will change the tune in a hurry, or risk losing the station inspection license and being fined!

Places will play that game, because they are lazy, or cannot make any money off of trailers if there is something wrong with them.

I still have the manual here somewhere from when I was an inspector!

Remember, this is for a standard trailer inspection, not a DOT Annual like we have on our big trucks. Two different animals!

I get my trailer inspected at a-plus auto in Bastrop (mini9r's brother) I dont know if it was a correct statement about any inspection place doing trialers...might be...but when I called..they all said they dont know what I was talking about...but...this was a few years ago...

This may get the attention of some: If you have a CDL your DWI risk increases since the level for a CDL is 0.4 instead of 0.8 for other drivers. It doesn't matter if you are on your bicycle when you get stopped, it just matters on the type of license you have. Also, if you have a CDL & get stopped for DWI, it is a loss of license for 1 year on first offense.

I am against drinking and driving to begin with, but just trying to get a point across on the differences between the two types of licenses.

Archived