DPS stopping tow rigs in Texas

racer61

I know that any trailer that has not been registerd, such as a homebuilt trailer, has to be inspected and weighed regardless of the size or weight of the trailer. its some new law they made just to piss me off and waste my time and money.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"The trailer has current plates along with the truck and the inspection on the trailer is current....."

Inspection? I have never had a race car trailer inspected. This is literally the first I have heard of this.

Can anyone elaborate? This is getting worse by the minute!

Thanks

Jay

Yes,trailers must have a safety inspection sticker.I had never heard of this either but when Mike bought his trailer a few months back,he had to get it inspected BEFORE they would register it.

I'm going to guess 3500 lbs but I will look it up.

3700 nominal

http://www.paceamerican.com/trailers/pursuit/tag/#specInfo

"The trailer has current plates along with the truck and the inspection on the trailer is current....."

Inspection? I have never had a race car trailer inspected. This is literally the first I have heard of this.

Can anyone elaborate? This is getting worse by the minute!

Thanks

Jay

Yes,trailers must have a safety inspection sticker.I had never heard of this either but when Mike bought his trailer a few months back,he had to get it inspected BEFORE they would register it.

Was it 4500 lbs (or more)? That might be the "trigger point" according to Chase. I was not asked that to register mine (3700).

Jay

I spoke to a veteran DPS License and Weight trooper today.

He told me what I was already thinking but couldn't remember for sure - so long as your truck and trailer combo don't exceed 26000 GVW, you don't need a CDL in Texas. Across state lines may be a different story. There are some other variables that could require a CDL like hauling passengers, but they don't apply to this topic (hauling a race car.)

As far as Cory's original post, the situation sounds a little different than hauling a recreation race car, and I didn't get into that with the trooper.

If a truck and trailer have a 26,001 or more GVWR but are registered as an RV would you still need a CDL? If you are required to have a CDL, then you have to follow the 8 hours, log book, etc. rules for the road? If you have to follow those rules then are you allowed to haul fuel in containers larger than 8 gallons?

I spoke to a veteran DPS License and Weight trooper today.

He told me what I was already thinking but couldn't remember for sure - so long as your truck and trailer combo don't exceed 26000 GVW, you don't need a CDL in Texas. Across state lines may be a different story. There are some other variables that could require a CDL like hauling passengers, but they don't apply to this topic (hauling a race car.)

As far as Cory's original post, the situation sounds a little different than hauling a recreation race car, and I didn't get into that with the trooper.

If a truck and trailer have a 26,001 or more GVWR but are registered as an RV would you still need a CDL? If you are required to have a CDL, then you have to follow the 8 hours, log book, etc. rules for the road? If you have to follow those rules then are you allowed to haul fuel in containers larger than 8 gallons?

Clifton, don't read too much into my post. I did not ask him the question you are posing. My questions were specifically about trailers weighing less than 26001 and hauling one race car.

wait till you're stopped and asked by a trooper,"so you're haulin' a race car inside there,do you race for $$$$,cash awards?,do you run your racing as a business?

Hmmmm...I play golf for money and merchandise. Does that make the vehicle I haul my clubs in a commercial vechicle? Do tournament bass fishermen have this problem? If not, why not?

Jay

Some guys I know in the entertainment business have said that a band based here in texas is having some problems with htere coach and trailer. Apparently there is a 68' foot law that trailer and tow vehicle can't be add up to be more than 68'.. which there trailer does. They've been stopped once because of this. They measured out at 70' - nose of buss to butt of trailer

jay,i have over 250-350 rigs at my races and it never fails for some of them to have trooper encounters and i just gave an example of what they are asked.and i dont have a problem when i throw my drivers in the car and go compete for money.I even got stopped speeding going to a race and had traction compound and rosin in the back of the car and trooper asked what it was,told him,showed it to him and also told him i got paid to use it,he didnt blink and said have a nice day.

protree,

I wasn't barking at you :D .

Some of your comments just made a few more (mostly rhetorical) questions occur to me. I know that what you have said is true and several similar instances are detailed in the "Florida posts".

Jay

and what's scary is with fuel skyrocketing,cost to run the state is going up also,and it could lead to more reinforcement and new laws to obtain more state income.never know,they may figure if a guy can afford to haul his toy in a 150-250,000 dollar mobile house/stacker trailer hauler,maybe they should pay something extra to be on the road and not be exempt.

and what's scary is with fuel skyrocketing,cost to run the state is going up also,and it could lead to more reinforcement and new laws to obtain more state income.never know,they may figure if a guy can afford to haul his toy in a 150-250,000 dollar mobile house/stacker trailer hauler,maybe they should pay something extra to be on the road and not be exempt.

This may be true of the big rigs but what about the poor guys that are in a 1ton hauling an enclosed.Racing is expensive enough,we don't need all this added B.S.!!!!!!

I dont think that racing can be considered commercial unless you make a profit. I was also trying to find some information on exactly what is required for trailers....can anyone find a link to the exact laws? Are breakaway boxes required....and more importantly...will they look for it during a driving test... I called DPS...and rvs dont need cdls....but could require an exempt class a or b license depending on gvr

I dont think that racing can be considered commercial unless you make a profit. I was also trying to find some information on exactly what is required for trailers....can anyone find a link to the exact laws? Are breakaway boxes required....and more importantly...will they look for it during a driving test... I called DPS...and rvs dont need cdls....but could require an exempt class a or b license depending on gvr

So if I own a trucking company and don't make a profit it's not commercial?

OT I agree that this is a bunch of BS.

Dancer52, your question about the breakaway box is: if the trailer is equipped with electric brakes(not hydraulic) than is required to have a break away kit.

All trailers over 3700# are required to be inspected annually. All inspection stickers are to be on the front left side of tongue or trailer side. Two(2) safety chains are required on above mentioned trailers. Weight is the only dimension that DPS is going by, not length. DOT amy state a length but the L & W officer I got this info from said that they are mostly concerned with overweight and non-permitted loads. Supposedly a privately owned truck and trailer for racing is not a concern but he also told me that when these trailers get upwards of 44-48 feet than DPS gets concerned about safety. Especially on the long flat highways across Texas where we (yes me too) tend to drive a little faster. The smaller local crowd should be OK as long as the trailer and tow vehicle is in compliance (ie: sway bars, safety brakes, insp. etc.). However, I still dont agree that they should pull you over just because and look for something to be wrong.

Cory

I was told 4000 lbs when I got my last trailer re-inspected and a DPS officer told me 3700 lbs. I have heard 4500 was also the # so Im not real sure. I will gaurantee you though that whatever my trailer weighs it will be legal. I for one cant afford any fines. Im curious if DOT and DPS have different rules and regs? I wouldnt think they did but stranger things have happened.

I suspect what we are experiencing here also happens out in the (DPS) field.

"Everyone" thinks they know the law to the n th degree but when it's just me and the trooper on the side of the road, his memory of the law's details will prevail.

I plan to put a copy of the DPS websight's info along with the trailer manufacturer's specs in the truck glove compartment. If nothing else (combined with a good attitude) it might demonstrate that I was acting in a reasonable manner instead of someone that needs to be impounded.

It couldn't hurt.

JMO

Jay

I suspect what we are experiencing here also happens out in the (DPS) field.

"Everyone" thinks they know the law to the n th degree but when it's just me and the trooper on the side of the road, his memory of the law's details will prevail.

JMO

Jay

You'd be surprised what some of the DOT certified Troopers do. Most are ok but there are more than you would think that the extra certification goes right to their head.

Why not just get a CDL. It's no big deal.

There are several reasons not to get a CDL if you don't need it. CDL drivers that get stopped speeding can not take defensive driving to erase the ticket. Also, if speeding 15 mph over the speed limit, it is considered a serious violation and can lead to removal of your driving priveleges. The CDL cost is alot more than a regular license. You can not renew license by mail or internet, you have to physically go to the DPS office. You are required to have random drug and alcohol testing by a certified company with all the drug and alcohol training documented. Annual physicals are also required and the physical requirements are stricter for a CDL. If you have High Blood Pressure or Diabetes, this can hurt you for a license. I could go into great detail of the CONS of having a CDL.

We have a trucking company and have had to abide by all these laws. I have a CDL & have had for many years. Back when I first started driving trucks, the laws were much easier than today. I have to have full time contractor just to stay compliant with the laws. I unfortunately still use my CDL enough to not get rid of it, even though being a nurse pays alot better these days.

As far as being required to have a CDL, that varies on state operated in & type of vehicle being used and what it is being used for. If it is FOR HIRE, it doesn't matter what the gvr is. Now this is where it can also get really sticky and each trooper interprets this law differently. I suggest that if you are stopped, just be really nice to the trooper, because the law has such a grey area on what is considered commercial vehicle.

Not every trooper knows the laws for CDL's. I have sat in many troopers offices showing them the Federal Motor Carriers Regulations, because my trucks were stopped & issued citations for things that were not against the regulations. I have had Sargeants copy pages out of my book and pass out to his troopers. When I did all the compliance issues myself, I knew the book front to back & back to front, but it has been several years since I have actually dealt with it myself.

I don't know how to post a web site, but you can search for www.fmcsa.dot.gov (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration,) and it should give you answers to alot of your questions. I hope some of this helps.

The guy that used to drive my car at SAS, Richard Curtis used to be a DOT inspector. I will see if I can get him to chime in on this forum.

I just talked to Richard & he agreed with what I had already put on this forum. He said there is a chart that the DOT use to determine what type of license is required. He also said that if you cross state lines then it becomes even more complicated.

Mona Turner

Retired Truck Driver

Retired Racecar Driver

Can't wait to be retired nurse

Archived