Photos of interest to Texas race fans

NickHolt

Marty Little lives in Florida and is a bonafide "race car historian"

He sent me a few photos that might be of interest to Texas race fans.

Here's a portion of his recent email:

I've sent you several photos of Texas supers and sprints and hopefully your viewers will enjoy a bit of the Lone Star State racers doing their thing in Florida many moon ago...

Marty

post-3-1208585777_thumb.jpg

Ricky Otts at the South Florida Fairgrounds in West Palm Beach for NESMRA show in 1975. Car is a Bill Hite built supermodified.

Bobby Day photo from Marty Little collection.

post-3-1208586065_thumb.jpg

Ricky Otts in action at West Palm Beach, Fla. for NESMRA (New England Super Modified Racing Assn) event in Feb. 1975.

Bobby Day photo from Marty Little collection

post-3-1208586377_thumb.jpg

Driver unknown of this clean sprint taken at West Palm Beach, Fla. for NESMRA event in Feb. 1973.

post-3-1208586488_thumb.jpg

Same car as other photo except taken at Miami-Hollywood Speedway Park, Hollywood, Fla. Feb. 1973 during NESMRA winter tour.

post-3-1208586728_thumb.jpg

Driver unknown of this clean Texas based supermodified taken at Miami-Hollywood Speedway Park, Hollywood, Fla. during 1973 NESMRA tour.

Other side of wing says Locklin's Used Auto Parts and on cowl says owner Pancho Locklin.

Pasadena, Texas is a Houston suburb. Hopefully you can help with driver ID on the ones I don't know.

post-3-1208586881_thumb.jpg

The wounded supermodified of Page Reynolds is pushed away following an altercation at Miami-Hollywood Speedway Park during the NESMRA winter tour in February 1974. Note damage to hood and injector tubes.

post-3-1208587016_thumb.jpg

Page Reynolds poses with his Bill Hite built supermodified at Palm Beach Fairgrounds, West Palm Beach, Fla. in Feb. 1975 during the NESMRA winter tour.

post-3-1208587127_thumb.jpg

I'm not positive that this is a Texas based car but it certainly looks like it. Carbureted big block Chevy for power certainly fills the engine bay. Car number is 55. Not sure of color.

Taken at Palm Beach Fairgrounds during NESMRA tour in Feb 1973. The "Big Bertha" slogan on the cowl might be a key to the ID of driver.

post-3-1208587245_thumb.jpg

late James McElreath poses in the family sprinter before the start of the NESMRA feature event at the Palm Beach Fairgrounds during the February 1973 winter tour. The Arlington, Texas driver was fatally injured at the Winchester (Indiana) Speedway in Sept. 1977 during a USAC sprint car event.

That Pancho Locklin upright is either John McLaren or Page Reynolds. There is other reference on this site to McLaren in the car in early 73.

Would like to hear who is in the other cars.

The blue #19 says Dallas Texas on it, No idea who it is.

TxTom,

Another driver in Pancho Locklins car might be Rat Lane from Florida.He drove the #9 at Meyer Speedway in Houston for awhile.Also, John Mc Laren of Pearland,Texas drove for Poncho. John McLaren had his own car,a green #13 named the Green Hornet.Gordon Wooley of Waco drove the #9 for Poncho also. I don't believe Gordon Wooley drove the car out of state. Poncho was a very good friend of mine in Pasadena,Texas.Ronnie Chumley also drove a modified coupe #16 for Poncho when Ronnie Chumley was just starting out.

Marty Little lives in Florida and is a bonafide "race car historian"

He sent me a few photos that might be of interest to Texas race fans.

Here's a portion of his recent email:

I've sent you several photos of Texas supers and sprints and hopefully your viewers will enjoy a bit of the Lone Star State racers doing their thing in Florida many moon ago...

Marty

post-3-1208586377_thumb.jpg

Driver unknown of this clean sprint taken at West Palm Beach, Fla. for NESMRA event in Feb. 1973.

This car belongs too Bill Blaze out of Dallas and that appears to be Terry Lovin behind the wheel

post-3-1208586488_thumb.jpg

Same car as other photo except taken at Miami-Hollywood Speedway Park, Hollywood, Fla. Feb. 1973 during NESMRA winter tour.

Same car same driver, apparently same season. He had the big wing on for the high banker.

post-3-1208586728_thumb.jpg

Driver unknown of this clean Texas based supermodified taken at Miami-Hollywood Speedway Park, Hollywood, Fla. during 1973 NESMRA tour.

Other side of wing says Locklin's Used Auto Parts and on cowl says owner Pancho Locklin.

Pasadena, Texas is a Houston suburb. Hopefully you can help with driver ID on the ones I don't know.

Willing to bet that Johnny McClaren in Pancho's ride

post-3-1208587127_thumb.jpg

I'm not positive that this is a Texas based car but it certainly looks like it. Carbureted big block Chevy for power certainly fills the engine bay. Car number is 55. Not sure of color.

Taken at Palm Beach Fairgrounds during NESMRA tour in Feb 1973. The "Big Bertha" slogan on the cowl might be a key to the ID of driver.

That 55 car appears to be Jack Gibson, he was out of Missouri though.

post-3-1208587245_thumb.jpg

late James McElreath poses in the family sprinter before the start of the NESMRA feature event at the Palm Beach Fairgrounds during the February 1973 winter tour. The Arlington, Texas driver was fatally injured at the Winchester (Indiana) Speedway in Sept. 1977 during a USAC sprint car event.

Definately Jimmy McElreath and that appears to be Gary Patterson on the other side of him.

• 3 months later...

What a great forum. I found it Sunday looking for information on my old friend and fellow racer, Marvin Fillip. I've spent a number of hours sifting through this great wealth of history and will spend many more. This is my first contribution, but I hope I can make more. The 19 car is definitely Bobby Marshall out of Dallas. His home track was Devils Bowl but liked asphalt. I seem to recall he spent at least a season in USAC

I raced an asphalt super out of Lubbock from '72 till '77. Arena Park Raceway in Lubbock and Amarillo Speedway were home tracks, but I raced regularly in Colorado and a few times at Meyer. I'm familiar with the super and sprint car crowd from that area and era. There were a number of Late Models from the Abilene/San Angelo/Midland/Odessa area that raced up our way, but Marvin and Chet were about the only regular supers from down south. As I pick through this place I will identify anything I can. I've been in the Charlotte, NC area for the last 20 years but I can get my battery charged once a year when the northeast super modified crowd comes to Concord Speedway.

Thanks QuickVic,

There of course is a reason for my question. This history section started out as a single thread before it became so popular TXSZ management decided it should have its own section. Initially its content was mostly San Antonio, Corpus and Austin related history. Over the last year or so much has been added relating to Houston racing history. Recently, I'm happy to say we've finally gotten some north Texas/DFW stuff on here. Some of the big gaps we're lacking is that of west Texas and the Panhandle racing history.

I'd love to get some of that stuff on here. I would encourage you to post whatever you may have, and ask you to encourage anyone you know from that area to come on here and share with us any historical material they may have from those areas.

Thanks, and welcome to TXSZ. :)

Unfortunately, I lost custody of photo albums in a divorce a while back, but I do still have some photos and things. I'll have to go digging and see what I can come up with. I'll also get in touch with a couple of old West Texas racers and see if I can get them to contribute.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

bubba cowan charles johnson wane nedecken came from san anglo

Archived