C.O.T.

thrss1

That hit and flip(s) by the #00 was much worse than when #3 had a less fierce crash at Daytona which killed Dale Earnhardt Sr.

The COT and Safer Barrier wall passed the crash test today.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

Lots of things come to mind -Thank God is the first, the safer barrier, HANS, the seat, NASCAR, the guys in the shop.

I looked up and saw the 26 on the track after a 3 minute clean up for what appeared to be a whole lot of oil on the track and thought "no way that track is clean".

Five- six years ago that impact would have resulted in a fatality

I have seen some of the older crashes (alot on youtube) and this has to be one of the hardest wickedest wrecks in quite some time... Certainly the hardest the COT has ever taken... Wonder how many G's that wreck is going to register... Definately a harder wreck that Jeff's at Pocono... Also wonder though how much worse it might have been if the Safer Barrier wasnt there... Just mark that one down in the 'And he walked away' folder... It looks eerily like the ride Ernie Irvin took awhile back or Rusty Wallaces for that matter...

Marc

I'd be interested in hearing from the driver on that one. If you look at the video just about the time he makes the transition from straight to the turn, you can see some smoke off the right side of the car. It is not track dust smoke, it is slightly blue, like an engine or tire. I'd like to know if he lost a right rear, or sucked a valve on throttle off.

I'd be interested in hearing from the driver on that one. If you look at the video just about the time he makes the transition from straight to the turn, you can see some smoke off the right side of the car. It is not track dust smoke, it is slightly blue, like an engine or tire. I'd like to know if he lost a right rear, or sucked a valve on throttle off.

It was the new powder they use...he was the 3rd car to go out after David Gilliland dumped a bunch of fluid on the track in that area. Mcmurray was the 1st and there was a bunch of dust out the back of his car. Bowyer looked like he went under it, and the #00 missed it on his 1st lap. You could see a little dust not sure though that was the problem, but it looked like they could have blown it off better...in his tv interview I don't think he knew what happened.

Looks like just as he goes into the turn, a long time before the car goes out of control, the nose twitches big time. It's very quick, then seems to be under control, then just heads for the wall. Looks like something broke or a tire let go, but the crash looks weird. Don't think I've ever seen one do what that one did before it hit the wall...

I'm still sore this morning just from watching that crash. I can't imagine how the driver feels! LOL

I've seen street cars totally disfigured from 50mph crashes along with severely injured or killed occupants. Those really put the 00 crash into perspective. It's simply amazing what NASCAR and the teams have done with the modern cars.

I wonder how the brake setup was on that car?

Also dont forget the seat technology the teams use these days. The seat Pancho has in the classified's section is a prime example. It is a seat from Randy La Joie. Butler makes one that looks like a capsule, head, shoulder, arm and leg restraints are a must...

sp,

I'll have to find the article. it said that many teams shave the pads down just a few thousandths to get them further off the rotors. It said they do it on all four corners, but mainly on the back. Many guys have said that it's hairy because if they need the brakes, they have to pump them. When i read the article it sounded hookie, but after thinking about how teams strive for every 1/100 of a second it didnt seem so far fetched.

sp,

I'll have to find the article. it said that many teams shave the pads down just a few thousandths to get them further off the rotors. It said they do it on all four corners, but mainly on the back. Many guys have said that it's hairy because if they need the brakes, they have to pump them. When i read the article it sounded hookie, but after thinking about how teams strive for every 1/100 of a second it didnt seem so far fetched.

Mainly a Talladega and Daytona trick, Don't know where else they do it. They also compress the pucks to get the pads away from the rotor, then wire the pads back so they don't vibrate back to the rotors.

like tom said that is mainly at 2 mile tracks before qualifying.

this guy was a balls to the wall rookie that was running on an oil slicked/ kitty liter covered track. drivers before him and after the blown engine were complaining about the track. but kinda like his lapped a$^ blocking techniques on burton last week i guess he had to learn the hard way.

I was there guys in it was even worse in person. I will post my pics soon of what the car looked like after. It was INSANE!!!!! The ENTIRE pit area went running down towards turn one when it happened, drivers, crew and all. No one thought Michael would get out and walk away. There was a hush over TMS until he got out. It BROKE the steal in the walls. Also, it was the FIRST time the COT has been on its roof.

Archived