Amalie Oil Tx. Nat'l.s Friday updates "LIVE"

Are they only running the 1/8th mile? Why?

They had to go 1/8th last year due to the track, but they (IHRA) got a lot of positive feedback from the teams about reduced parts breakage, reduced fuel costs, etc, especially the pro teams, most of which are on limited budgets. Quite a few of the fans stated they liked the finish line being closer.

For those reasons, they are experimenting with 1/8th mile this year at four events, San Antonio included. The feedback from the four events will help them determine their future, 1/4, or 1/8th.

On the flip side, the 1/8th mile format probably kept some of the NHRA guys from crossing over. I noticed Pedgeron, Densham, and some of those are not there.

After listening to an Inverview with Scooter, the VP of IHRA, we found out that there are a few reasons for running the 1/8th mile. One is that the right lane that was repaired last year, needs to be ground to take the 300 MPH cars. They also have a problem with the neighbor at the end of the track. Appearantly someone went through the runnoff and through the fence of his property and he either shot at them or held them at gunpoint. So rather than risk getting someone shot, they shortened it to 1/8 mile. He did say that if the problem with the neighbor was not there, they probably would have finished fixing the track so they could run 1/4 mile. The interview is youtube, a link to it was on the SAR message board.

I've dealt with the neighbor at the end of the track,believe me,it's an experience you will not forget.

Ain't he the same guy who drove his tractor to the edge of his property at the end of the track and turned on the lights into the driver's eyes at a big event a year or so ago?

same guy.had halongen spotlites in his front loader, with a generator,so he could be mobile and raise em up when we tried to block em.i know it scared the h### out of me when i turned 2 outlaw cars loose and all of a sudden i see these lites shining right at me.I thought a car had come on the track from the turnoff and was heading towards the line and i had 2 cars haulin buns towards em.He sat there till 2am playing with me using those lites.Thanks Mark.I was busy for sure.Still tasting the nitro.Should have it out of my system by mid day tomorrow

I guess they tore the track up last year so the probably do not want to chance it again. It must not me made for those powerfull cars. 1/8 th mile, not real exciting racng.

Instead of dogging the track, or complaining about the show, why don't you go build your own place and then show us how its done.

some of the best heads up racing i've ever watched. they just had to get it done quicker(1/8). sure it would have been nice for them to run 1/4's but IHRA and the track made the right decisions....

my buddy was at Roy Hill's school when Robert Patrick went through. it was heart breaking if you will to watch him go out first round...( was it like 3 onethousands ?)

Again, great job Tommy and track....

Mark