Almeda Speedway Video

mfbarnes

i grew up out there and still live within 3 miles of it. where the track was is now a big busness park. beltway is cutting through where part of the track was. in a keymap try pages 572x and 612b that'll put ya right on location

Chipmunk,

I just looked at my somewhat old keymap, and it has Beltway 8 proposed, not built. It does look a little different with the highway going across. Your location is little north of mine, but looking at the older map, you are probably correct. That would put it between Fellows Rd and White Rd, and that does make sense. I just remember an east-west rd on the north side and another one on the south side of the facility. I seem to recall seeing some spdwy plans Cowboy had, but that was a long time ago. But, if your location is correct, Beltway 8 South goes directly over the old Almeda Spdwy.

• 2 years later...
Jim,

The more I think about it, I tend to believe Chipmunk's location is correct. I guess I had hoped a freeway would not be built on a speedway, but it appears now to be the case.

i never seen a race at almeda but i worked for phil cronin and he said he won a lot of stockcar races does any one have any photos

Jim,

The more I think about it, I tend to believe Chipmunk's location is correct. I guess I had hoped a freeway would not be built on a speedway, but it appears now to be the case.

i never seen a race at almeda but i worked for phil cronin and he said he won a lot of stockcar races does any one have any photos

It was originally a 5/8 mile oval dirt track in '68, but was desized to about 1/4 mile, probably the next year. :ph34r:

Archived