Almeda Speedway Video

mfbarnes

This brings back memories.I went in 1969 to my first ever oval track race and was hooked ever since.I had a car 2 weeks later.The VW #2 was eather Abel Cantu or Kent Lewis.They were team cars and looked alike.Abel backed into a car that was pinned against the wall in 3 near the exit and squeezd 2 pit crewmembers that ran out on the track to help the driver of the crashed car.I heard they both died.

Kent Lewis still races sprint cars out of Houston along with his son who wasnt born when this vidio was made.

Cowboy Johnson on the last nite of operation of Almeda took off with the purse,payroll,points fund and all gate money and the track never raced again.

My favorite car to watch was a red 57 Ford in the jalopy class>that class had all straight 6s

I will always remember that track,Ive been hooked on racing ever since.Thanks for the vidio.I didnt think anyone remembered it.

Hey Thumper, my dad may have raced there in his VW, not sure I will have to ask my mom. I do know he told me a story one time where he was going to race in Houston and he could not find the track. So, he said that he would flag down the next car that he saw on the road, anyhow it was Bear and he was trying to find the track too. My dad said they did find the track eventually and they ran after the motorcycles that night. Said it was one of the roughest tracks he has ever run on.

Thanks for the clip

Lyle,your dad was there when I raced my first race.So was Bear.So was Harold Harris,Kent Lewis,Able Cantu and a host of others.There were VWs,Ford Taunus,MGs,Volvos,Cortinas,

and a Peugot.

It was a rough place both on and off the track.No women in the pits,or anyone under 18.Tough joint and I say Cowboy in a couple of fights too.Even the ministockg got into it on occasion.I had my own little group of badazes but being kids we were not taken seriously.Thank goodness.Never saw a gun or knife,lots of tools.chains and tire irons.

After the races we would go the a place called the Icehouse and everyone would party together

• 2 weeks later...

The Icehouse!!! A friend of mine owned that joint. We worked together at Coca-Cola and he decided to go into the C-store business. I lost track of him and don't know how long he had the place. Small world.................

This brings back memories.I went in 1969 to my first ever oval track race and was hooked ever since.I had a car 2 weeks later.The VW #2 was eather Abel Cantu or Kent Lewis.They were team cars and looked alike.Abel backed into a car that was pinned against the wall in 3 near the exit and squeezd 2 pit crewmembers that ran out on the track to help the driver of the crashed car.I heard they both died.

Kent Lewis still races sprint cars out of Houston along with his son who wasnt born when this vidio was made.

Cowboy Johnson on the last nite of operation of Almeda took off with the purse,payroll,points fund and all gate money and the track never raced again.

My favorite car to watch was a red 57 Ford in the jalopy class>that class had all straight 6s

I will always remember that track,Ive been hooked on racing ever since.Thanks for the vidio.I didnt think anyone remembered it.

I see Kent almost daily, for sure once a week. His home is in Willis, and I live in Montgomery. (About ten miles apart). He's always over at my shop getting something, heads, injectors, you name it. Kent is good people, we've known each other many years. Jr. can be a little pepper pot at times, if the boy would settle down and quit thrashing so hard and overdriving his car he's win more features. Use to be a good sprinter I hadn't seen in a few years, out of Alvin, Tracy Knighton, I figure his son is driving now, if he stuck with it. Tracy use to run Big H, man he was smooth, and as nice a fella as ever took a breath.

I talk to Lee Cade pretty regular, I see his son more often than him. He's still full of piss and vinager as ever. Still married to the sweetest gal ever. He damn sure married above himself.

The Icehouse!!! A friend of mine owned that joint. We worked together at Coca-Cola and he decided to go into the C-store business. I lost track of him and don't know how long he had the place. Small world.................

I guess I missed that one. Didn't miss the Sugar Shack though, across the road from the track. Jack Daniels introduced me to that place, when he was playing/singing there. Where was The Icehouse? We referred to the SuperServe on S Post Oak @ S Main as the icehouse, but that was generic. And, a little far from Almeda Spdwy, but near Meyer Spdwy.

All I remember is that the Icehouse was on Almeda rd. on the way to the track or maybe past the track. I only went there a few times after Bill bought the place and at that time, there was no track. That came later. I do know that Bill kept that place a number of years and did quite well with it. He said it was a lot of hours but still better than pulling a Coke route. :D

We did go with Jack out to the Sugar Shack a few times to drink beer and watch the band play. That was back in my foolish "drinkin' days". Haven't done that in many years now.

Dang!! Didn't know you knew Jack. He was my brother-in-law. He and Sandy and kids lived with us for awhile. Another small world........................

I knew Jack from working for D R. I did not know you guys were inlaws. I just thought you all were friends/coworkers at Coca Cola. Whatever happened to Jack Daniels?

He and another friend lost their lives in a small plane crash out South Main (old 90). Jack was the pilot. He had rented a four seater and Jack and two other guys were getting ready to play a gig out on South Main. He took one of the guys to the Pearland Airport to pick up his car. Then, Jack and the other guy took off and the plan was to buzz the beer joint so another guy would come pick them up at the airport on Hwy. 6 near S.Main. It was just after dusk and Jack hit the power lines that cross Hwy. 90 out there. Pilot error. The fourth seat on that plane was mine. My dad had come out that Sunday to watch the Oiler game with me. I told Jack I would not go and spent the day with my dad. Time well spent.........................

The fourth seat on that plane was mine. My dad had come out that Sunday to watch the Oiler game with me. I told Jack I would not go and spent the day with my dad. Time well spent.........................

I glad things worked out as they did.... :o

Does anyone remember the address to Almeda Speedway or the Google map? Thought I might look it up to try to get a fix on The Icehouse. I had another thought (could be dangerous). I knew Bill Turman for a lot of years. He might have called his place "The Icehouse" and had a different name on the building. It has been a lot of years but now you guys have me strugling with my sanity.............................

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I gave up struggling with my sanity long ago. On the Google/Yahoo/Mapquest Maps, and satelite coverage, just go to what is now FM 521 (Almeda Rd) and Beltway 8 South, southeast corner. The track ran east-west and was between White Rd and Riley Rd, with the frontstretch/main entrance on the White Rd side, with turns one & two towards the Almeda Rd end. The Sugar Shack, I believe, would be across Almeda Rd, just north of Riley Rd. Also note, along that area, the road was moved a little east, and remnants of the old road can be seen. If what little I can see is part of the track area, it would be turns three & four after the track was reduced from 5/8 to 1/4 mile. Going north, a little past Anderson Rd, Almeda Auto Parts storage can be seen on the east side of FM 521, aka Almeda Rd. Before the Hwy 288 South Frwy was built in the 70s, Almeda Rd was aka Hwy 288. Also, Beltway 8 South wasn't there until the 80s/90s.

i grew up out there and still live within 3 miles of it. where the track was is now a big busness park. beltway is cutting through where part of the track was. in a keymap try pages 572x and 612b that'll put ya right on location

Bill has one address listed at 13922 Almeda rd. I don't know if this was the store address or not. I think it may have been. Since that is North of the freeway, may be why a lot of guys don't know it.

I remember something along there, which would be in what was once Almeda TX. I recall a place something like a store with an outdoor facility in the back. I don't know if we're talking about the same place, but the place I remember was from attending a benefit there in about '77. It was for Bubba Remling and his wife, who were both killed in a traffic accident on Almeda Rd when another car came across the center line and hit Bubba's car head on. They were on their way home from her birthday celebration. You should remember Bubba Remling, he had the #17 Pontiac Bronco Stock Car in '66/'67.

Archived