Kurtis craft

Im looking for anyone that might have run a Kurtis Craft midget or 1/4 midget in Texas. Or, perhaps any pictures of these cars running at texas tracks. Kurtis 500's made history at Indy, but midgets were huge too. Anyone have any experience with these cars?

There is more to this story, but would like to see if anyone has anything on this subject before I reveal the rest.

I have a friend that has a KC 1/4 midget, and a KC copy. Nether are all together currently. He recently told me that he has all the parts to one of them, but wasn't sure if it was the true KC or the copy that was complete.

If interested in more details send me a PM or E-mail.

PS. I don't think that he would sell a nut off either, but you never know, ever once in a blue moon he will turn loose of something.

Here's a photo of a really fine vintage midget restoration. I'm not sure if its a Kurtis Craft or not, but it sure is purdy. It's owned by Mr. Bill Jones of San Antonio. I'm told he is the one to see if you are interested in that sort of stuff. He owns several. This pic was sent to me by Dano36. I think the photo was taken by his son Steve.

post-8338-1218071098_thumb.jpg

Very cool.

To finish up my story here:

I met a couple that runs karts. Jim Betts and Cheryl Kurtis. I have been helping them with kart setup and driving instruction. After getting to know them better, Cheryl told me her grand-dad is "Kurtis Craft", her father still runs the shop and her brother works with him. She has showed me books and books full of indy cars and midgets her grand dad built. So, I was curious if any of them made it down here. They are new(er) down here and really just know the local kart scene. Im trying to get them out to some local circle tracks. She is a good driver.

Here is one link I've located. I'll add others if I find any.

Vintage Kart Link

There are many internet racing references to "Kurtis Craft" and "Kurtis Kraft". Just do a keyword search using these terms.

There was a time when an Offy powered Kurtis Craft racer of any type was near unbeatable. Just by coinsidence, the grand daughter of Harry Miller of Miller/Offenhauser currently resides in San Antonio. :D

Now THAT would be a great shot to post on here if you could get those two together! Dano36 has her contact info. :)

• 3 months later...

Welcome to TXSZ Cheryl. Great to hear from you on here. We hope you'll participate often. What a great racing heritage there is in your family!

Here is a pic of Robin's daughter I took not so very long ago. What a cutie, and a good racer too! :D

post-1274-1214187540_thumb.jpg

Thank you........I'll get out here as often as I can. Yes, the family has lots of racing history from Indy to Midgets, to Drag Boat racing, Junior Dragsters and now it is off to go-kart racing.

My nieces out in California race Junior Dragsters and Dirt track karts. I am here in Texas racing karts at the ripe old age of 47. Imgaine that. I am having more fun that what I should be having. I know gramps is up stairs just shaking his head and wondering why he ever listened to my grandmother. Oh well.

I saw Robin's daughter's car at the Autorama show this past Jan. I have talked to Jones on the phone many times but have not gone over to his shop yet. I need to take the time to do that. I understand McCall's place is just right across the street from his shop. This a great site. I need to take the next two days off of work to just read everything!!!

Bob McCall's shop is indeed across the street from Bill Jone's shop, on Iota lane.

However, Bill keeps his racing stuff at his home in Castle Hills. He has quite a collection of stuff here in San Antonio, and a lot more at the Zink Ranch Museum near Tulsa.

My dad and I visit with Jones frequently, he is one heckuva racing history, especially where Indy and open wheel cars are concerned.

That is a Kurtis Offy. And I do not want to downplay that great pic of the car, but you really need to see it in person. It is a beautiful resoration.

Did ya'll notice the engine on the stand on the other side of the red car? It is one of Bill's Smith-Jiggler V8-60s.

You cannot believe what this man has in his shop in Castle Hills. More Offy parts that any of us has ever seen.

This pic is of the stable mate to that Kurtis Offy. It is the Checkerboard Offy originally built by Pop Dreyer in Indianapolis, and driven in Northern States. Jones spent 10 years restoring this midget, and you have to see it in person to appreciate just how good it looks.

post-21-1214440960_thumb.jpg

Since the subject is Kurtis Craft , this isn't Texas related , but interesting anyway .

Here's a couple of photo's of Roger Wards Kurtis Kraft -Offy that he entered in a Formula One race at Sebring in 1959 . He only made it 23 laps but was shown finishing 10th . He actually won against some sports car competition at Elkhart Lake in this car .

1959usgp-rodgerwardkurtis-kraft1.jpg

click for a large photo th_2419.jpg

Archived